The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Subungal melanoma

Forums General Melanoma Community Subungal melanoma

Participant

Hi folks-

Quick background- I was diagnosed with Stage 1 back in Nov. 2015 which progressed to stage 4 fall 2016.  My original lesion was on my neck and I had mets to lungs.  I did ipi/nivo for 1 treatment then nivo 5 more treatments and had full resolution of all lung mets.   I did such a short course because of side effects ( thyroiditis, colitis, uveitis) .

I am now on surveillance with scans/ Dr. appointment every 3 months.  So, during the summer I noticed a purple/ brown spot under one of my toenails.  I honestly didn't think much of it.  I also have my toenails painted almost continuously so I haven't looked at them much.  I took the polish off yesterday and still have the same dark area under my nail. 

I go for scans and Dr. appointment  in 2 weeks so I can ask about it soon, but is there really a chance of getting a mel under my nail after being diagnosed with another form?

Thanks for any input.

Peggy

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        jennunicorn
        Participant

Really very unlikely, not common to get two different forms of melanoma. Bruises under the nail take forever to go away! That is actually how my mel got diagnosed, I had a bruise under my toe nail that I noticed after taking off nail polish (even though I had not injured it at all and had no clue how it got there) so I went to see my doc after it would not go away, she had the derm take a look and he said, yep that's a bruise and it can take 6 months or more to grow out. (He then saw the ugly mole on my leg and had that biopsied..). And he was right, it took that dang bruise more than 6 months to go away. So, I would bet it's a bruise. But of course it's good to bring it up at your appointment and get professional eyes on it.

Best,

Mamapegela
            Participant

Thanks Jenn, that is what I figured.  I was just feeling a little anxious about it and knew this was a good place to reach out.  I also have an enlarged lymph node on my neck but I know that is also most likely not cause for concern.  

I sometimes feel vulnerable since my treatment course was so short compared with many others but I need to remember not to invent problems! 

Thanks again, Peggy

Viewing 0 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics