The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Strange question, but if you scratch a mole before the biopsy, is the pathology affected?

Forums General Melanoma Community Strange question, but if you scratch a mole before the biopsy, is the pathology affected?

Participant

Say you have been messing with it for months, then you finally get it removed, could it look worse under microscope because of that picking? 

I would also like to ask, can I reverse my sun damage?  I have read that smokers if they stop smoking their lungs can heal.  Can your skin heal?  If I don't get any more sunburns does that mean my risk of another melanoma is low again?  Or does it take a while for past behavior to catch up?  I had multiple, blistering burns as a child. 

Say you have been messing with it for months, then you finally get it removed, could it look worse under microscope because of that picking? 

I would also like to ask, can I reverse my sun damage?  I have read that smokers if they stop smoking their lungs can heal.  Can your skin heal?  If I don't get any more sunburns does that mean my risk of another melanoma is low again?  Or does it take a while for past behavior to catch up?  I had multiple, blistering burns as a child. 

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

Since melanoma is really gauged by the depth of a lesion BELOW the epidermis, it is unlikely that picking at it will make it look worse.  Ulceration is the condition where the pathologist checks to see if the epidermis is intact.  An open sore could make a lesion look ulcerated from the naked eye, but the pathologist has to be the one who determines ulceration from a microscopic perspective.  I suppose if something is irritated enough, it could cause a condition of ulceration although I've never read anything that would confirm or deny that picking a lesion could cause ulceration.

As for sun damage reversal, no such luck.  What's done is done and the DNA damage is considered cumulative over your lifetime. 

Janner
          Participant

Since melanoma is really gauged by the depth of a lesion BELOW the epidermis, it is unlikely that picking at it will make it look worse.  Ulceration is the condition where the pathologist checks to see if the epidermis is intact.  An open sore could make a lesion look ulcerated from the naked eye, but the pathologist has to be the one who determines ulceration from a microscopic perspective.  I suppose if something is irritated enough, it could cause a condition of ulceration although I've never read anything that would confirm or deny that picking a lesion could cause ulceration.

As for sun damage reversal, no such luck.  What's done is done and the DNA damage is considered cumulative over your lifetime. 

Janner
            Participant

imissmommy2003
              Participant

I was wondeing about this to. I sometimes get acne on my back and during the summer of 2011 I felt a zit so I tried to pop it, and it didnt work so I scratched it. It bled for about an hour or two. The next day I realized that it was a mole. I had not been there before and I was really worried because my mom died from melanoma in June of 2003. I have been seeing the dermatoligist every two years since so when I found out that this was a mole I made my dad call the Dr. He looked at it and said that it looked just a little off so he went to do a Biopsy right then and there. He said it would only take two weeks to get the results but it took about a month and a half. I did not go out in the sun at all. When he finally called back he told us to come in; so we did. He told us that the mole was not melignant, but that it had to many abnormal cells that it could come back cancerous. He had to remove the whole thing so now i have a scar that is about an inch and a half long on my right shoulder. I am still very scared to be out in the sun for very long. Any more information I should know…?

I am a 17 year old girl and I like to be tan, but I am scared to tan, is there any advice i can get on how to tan safely or what sun block to use.

Thank You very Much,

Mariah

Sia
                  Participant
                    You need to stay out of the sun. Any tan is damage to your skin. I have sun sleeves and a hat that I carry in my purse in case I find myself in the sun too long and I wear 15 plus everywhere I don’t have clothing. Pale is beautiful!
                    Sia
                    Participant
                      You need to stay out of the sun. Any tan is damage to your skin. I have sun sleeves and a hat that I carry in my purse in case I find myself in the sun too long and I wear 15 plus everywhere I don’t have clothing. Pale is beautiful!
                      Sia
                      Participant
                      imissmommy2003
                      Participant

I was wondeing about this to. I sometimes get acne on my back and during the summer of 2011 I felt a zit so I tried to pop it, and it didnt work so I scratched it. It bled for about an hour or two. The next day I realized that it was a mole. I had not been there before and I was really worried because my mom died from melanoma in June of 2003. I have been seeing the dermatoligist every two years since so when I found out that this was a mole I made my dad call the Dr. He looked at it and said that it looked just a little off so he went to do a Biopsy right then and there. He said it would only take two weeks to get the results but it took about a month and a half. I did not go out in the sun at all. When he finally called back he told us to come in; so we did. He told us that the mole was not melignant, but that it had to many abnormal cells that it could come back cancerous. He had to remove the whole thing so now i have a scar that is about an inch and a half long on my right shoulder. I am still very scared to be out in the sun for very long. Any more information I should know…?

I am a 17 year old girl and I like to be tan, but I am scared to tan, is there any advice i can get on how to tan safely or what sun block to use.

Thank You very Much,

Mariah

imissmommy2003
                        Participant

Thank You very Much,

Mariah

Viewing 5 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics