The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Strange burning sensation in my sternum

Forums General Melanoma Community Strange burning sensation in my sternum

Participant

I am 39 yo female with stage 1 diagnosed 6 years ago. Whithin a past 3-4 days I started to feel pressuse in my chest (around sternum) and I have now burning sensation which starts in the lower part of sternum, then moves up almost to the neck and then goes down again. I don't feel the pressure any more and probably burp more that ususally and have the hot feeling in the throat. I have never had such feeling before. Does it sound like a heartburn? I am not sure because I can not distinguish whether it is behind the sternum, in the sternum or this is skin feeling??? I am so worried.

I am 39 yo female with stage 1 diagnosed 6 years ago. Whithin a past 3-4 days I started to feel pressuse in my chest (around sternum) and I have now burning sensation which starts in the lower part of sternum, then moves up almost to the neck and then goes down again. I don't feel the pressure any more and probably burp more that ususally and have the hot feeling in the throat. I have never had such feeling before. Does it sound like a heartburn? I am not sure because I can not distinguish whether it is behind the sternum, in the sternum or this is skin feeling??? I am so worried. Any idea what it could be???? Thanks!

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Jim M.
        Participant

It could be heartburn or acid reflux. Do you eat less than 2 hours regularly before going to bed?  I did on a daily basis and developed acid reflux. The body wasn't given enough time to properly digest the food so the acid moves up toward the throat. I had similar symptoms to yours, especially in the mornings. Be sure and eat at least 2.5 hours before going to bed. Tums or other kinds of antacids help. If it persists the next step should be to set up an appointment with your primary doctor. Others may have other advice.

Best of success and God Bless,

Jim M.

Jim M.
          Participant

It could be heartburn or acid reflux. Do you eat less than 2 hours regularly before going to bed?  I did on a daily basis and developed acid reflux. The body wasn't given enough time to properly digest the food so the acid moves up toward the throat. I had similar symptoms to yours, especially in the mornings. Be sure and eat at least 2.5 hours before going to bed. Tums or other kinds of antacids help. If it persists the next step should be to set up an appointment with your primary doctor. Others may have other advice.

Best of success and God Bless,

Jim M.

Brandi
            Participant

Hi sounds like acid reflux. I would suggest that you see your doc before taking any OTC meds though because if you are on medications the OTC's can interact with them. You may also want to confirm the dx of acid reflux. Don't lay down after you eat, cut down on the caffeine even chocolate contains caffeine. Caffeine makes acid reflux worse. Smoking will agitate it as well. Hope this is helpful to you.

Brandi
              Participant

Hi sounds like acid reflux. I would suggest that you see your doc before taking any OTC meds though because if you are on medications the OTC's can interact with them. You may also want to confirm the dx of acid reflux. Don't lay down after you eat, cut down on the caffeine even chocolate contains caffeine. Caffeine makes acid reflux worse. Smoking will agitate it as well. Hope this is helpful to you.

Janner
                Participant

Certainly sounds more like gas/acid reflux than melanoma.  I get pressure in my chest when I'm stressed.  I tried some Gas-X and that helped me.  The burning does sound like heartburn.  Pretty normal stuff, but worth checking with your PCP to make sure you aren't ignoring something important.

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
                  Participant

Certainly sounds more like gas/acid reflux than melanoma.  I get pressure in my chest when I'm stressed.  I tried some Gas-X and that helped me.  The burning does sound like heartburn.  Pretty normal stuff, but worth checking with your PCP to make sure you aren't ignoring something important.

Best wishes,

Janner

Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics