The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Stopping Keytruda does it still keep working?

Forums General Melanoma Community Stopping Keytruda does it still keep working?

Participant

Hi All,

I recently posted about a strange side effect from Keytruda that I started having about 6-7 months into treatment. Cramping and soreness all over my neck and torso with severe movement restriction. My newest scans showed a further shrinking of the tumour in my lung to 3 cm x 1 cm and my bloods were all good although the inflammation markers were a little high.

I have been put on steroids for a week- 25 mg prednisone and it improved a lot. Now we are weaning me off 5 mg per week to see how I go. We will not continue with the Pembro until we have it under control and i suppose there is a chance that they may not put me back on unless the cancer starts to grow again… scans again in 3 months. My doctors said there are cases where the drug keeps working even after it has been stopped and they are hoping that in my case.

Has anyone else had to stop Keytruda and go onto sterooids because of side effects, and did your cancer start to grow again after an initial good response? How long till it started to grow again?

Thanks

Anne-Louise

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Julie in SoCal
        Participant

Hi Anne-Louise,

I haven't had to stop keytruda because of side effects, but I am on keytruda.  My doc has said that the changes that keytruda makes to your immune system are permanent. No going back. But Mel is a tricky devil, and can change to defeat keytruda, causing Mel to return.  So the question is really what do we need to do so that Mel can't trick keytruda.  Unfortunately, no one can tell you whether or not keytruda got it all, so no one can say if you'll recur.

i seem to remember something like if you're going to recur after keytruda, you'll do it sooner (within 2 years) rather than later. But I could be wrong.

peace,

Julie

Julie in SoCal
          Participant

Hi Anne-Louise,

I haven't had to stop keytruda because of side effects, but I am on keytruda.  My doc has said that the changes that keytruda makes to your immune system are permanent. No going back. But Mel is a tricky devil, and can change to defeat keytruda, causing Mel to return.  So the question is really what do we need to do so that Mel can't trick keytruda.  Unfortunately, no one can tell you whether or not keytruda got it all, so no one can say if you'll recur.

i seem to remember something like if you're going to recur after keytruda, you'll do it sooner (within 2 years) rather than later. But I could be wrong.

peace,

Julie

Julie in SoCal
            Participant

Hi Anne-Louise,

peace,

Julie

ecc26
              Participant

I haven't been keeping up as well as I probably should, but I am also on Pembro (for nearly a year). I have not had any side effects that I can attirbute to the infusions and am slated to stay on the drug at least until the end of this year unless things stop shrinking and start growing. We'll re-evaluate in the fall. 

I'm not sure anyone really knows for sure how long it might keep working after you stop. It's too new a therapy. It's probably variable person to person and dependant on response. I do know that if things start growing after people stop they may respond again if they are put back on the drug. The thought is (or was, at least) that once your immune system has figured out how to recognize the tumors that it continues to do so. The problem with Melanoma is that it has a tendency to mutate and look different to the immune system (possibly why you can try again if it comes back after you stop). 

Probably not a very helpful post, sorry. 

I hope it keeps working for you and you never have to deal with this horrible monster again!

-Eva

Daisyduke
                  Participant

Eva

This is encouraging news for me, I went for several opinions and was told  to watch my Melanoma and wait for 2 months for more CAT Scans before I possibly start my Keytruda which is making me very nervous.  

I would rather start my treatment sooner rather than later being that I am Stage IV with Metastic Melanoma.  I was told that I would have to be on therapy for the rest of my life 

Your story sound so encouraging, I know everyone handle the drug differently, but being that you had no side effects and that you are only on the drug for a year gives me hope.

I am hoping with healthy eating and a change of lifestyle along with drug therap,y that my scans with continue to show no signs of cancer.  

I also did not know that once if you are able to stop therapy, that you can start up again, is that correct?

I am really praying,soul searching and hoping to make the right decision very soon for me and my family.

This support group rally helps a lot.

Thanks.,

Daisyduke
                    Participant

Eva

This is encouraging news for me, I went for several opinions and was told  to watch my Melanoma and wait for 2 months for more CAT Scans before I possibly start my Keytruda which is making me very nervous.  

I would rather start my treatment sooner rather than later being that I am Stage IV with Metastic Melanoma.  I was told that I would have to be on therapy for the rest of my life 

Your story sound so encouraging, I know everyone handle the drug differently, but being that you had no side effects and that you are only on the drug for a year gives me hope.

I am hoping with healthy eating and a change of lifestyle along with drug therap,y that my scans with continue to show no signs of cancer.  

I also did not know that once if you are able to stop therapy, that you can start up again, is that correct?

I am really praying,soul searching and hoping to make the right decision very soon for me and my family.

Thanks.,

Daisyduke
                      Participant

Eva

Thanks.,

ecc26
                      Participant

I haven't been keeping up as well as I probably should, but I am also on Pembro (for nearly a year). I have not had any side effects that I can attirbute to the infusions and am slated to stay on the drug at least until the end of this year unless things stop shrinking and start growing. We'll re-evaluate in the fall. 

I'm not sure anyone really knows for sure how long it might keep working after you stop. It's too new a therapy. It's probably variable person to person and dependant on response. I do know that if things start growing after people stop they may respond again if they are put back on the drug. The thought is (or was, at least) that once your immune system has figured out how to recognize the tumors that it continues to do so. The problem with Melanoma is that it has a tendency to mutate and look different to the immune system (possibly why you can try again if it comes back after you stop). 

I hope it keeps working for you and you never have to deal with this horrible monster again!

-Eva

ecc26
                        Participant

-Eva

Viewing 5 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics