The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Stinkbugs! Totally FREAKING!

Forums General Melanoma Community Stinkbugs! Totally FREAKING!

Participant

I need HELP. FAST. In the last week or so…I have removed 6 or 7 of these horrid insects from my home. They look prehistoric….with a shell that looks like a little tank. But just when you are grossed out to the max….THEY FREAKING FLY TOO!!!!! I've heard…I don't know for fact…they STINK if you squish them…so I grab them up with a heavy duty platex glove on…in a thick wad of tissue..and RUN to flush them in the toilet. Well…on the most beautiful…sunny….spectacular day in NJ….I opened the slider door in my kitchen…leaving the screen closed.

I need HELP. FAST. In the last week or so…I have removed 6 or 7 of these horrid insects from my home. They look prehistoric….with a shell that looks like a little tank. But just when you are grossed out to the max….THEY FREAKING FLY TOO!!!!! I've heard…I don't know for fact…they STINK if you squish them…so I grab them up with a heavy duty platex glove on…in a thick wad of tissue..and RUN to flush them in the toilet. Well…on the most beautiful…sunny….spectacular day in NJ….I opened the slider door in my kitchen…leaving the screen closed. AND in less than 5 min…more than 10 got in. I got all I could find (with a broom and a dustpan…I was right next to the open door) but there is one high on the drapes and one on the ceiling molding. I'm terrified to go after it with a broom…because it could fall ON MY HEAD. ANYONE…please???????? Any suggestions??????? I'm totally freaking out here…..

Freaking in NJ…Marie

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        MarieM
        Participant

Two minutes since I posted…I see FOUR not two. How many got in..HOW FAST???? THEY ARE MUCH bigger than the ones during the week. THEY ARE MUTANT! DID I MENTION>>>>FREAKING??????????

MarieM
          Participant

Two minutes since I posted…I see FOUR not two. How many got in..HOW FAST???? THEY ARE MUCH bigger than the ones during the week. THEY ARE MUTANT! DID I MENTION>>>>FREAKING??????????

bcl
            Participant

lol Maire, maybe you would worry less about the parachute drops if you put on a hoodie and wrapped a scarf around your neck to keep it snug:)  Good luck!

bcl
              Participant

lol Maire, maybe you would worry less about the parachute drops if you put on a hoodie and wrapped a scarf around your neck to keep it snug:)  Good luck!

DonW
                Participant

Does it look like this? Kinda cute! C'mon, we have to share the planet.

MarieM
                    Participant

Hey Don…How ARE YOU? Your picture didn't work (Ha!) but unfortunately, I don't NEED a picture….I NEED an exterminator. I got Chris…he promised to go to the home depot and get something toxic for stinkbugs but not toxic to small Yorkies. …AFTER the JET game. Wait til he asks for something…..I bet I won't have to wait long…..

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR…..

dian in spokane
                      Participant

thank heavens he waited! and YOU can thank your lucky stars that ~I~ listen to public radio and got the stinky lowdown on these just yesterday on Science Friday!

First..you should NOT try to dose them with a mess of poison cuz it won't work. They are on the move, like salmon, or pilgrams. More will just replace them, and the poison is not good to you, and won't work.

The most essential thing apparently is to seal their route in. So you have to seek out and seal any entrances, cracks and holes.

then you are supposed to use a vacuum cleaner to get them out of your house, and just get rid of that bag when you are done.

I'm pretty sure these critters will be gone soon, don't despair!

I'll see if I can find that NPR show. The lady expert talked about stinkbugs like she was wild about them

lhaley
                        Participant

Your right, they are on the move. In our local paper it said they are headed to SC!!   I've been freaked out by Palmetto bugs since we've moved, I don't want any stink bugs!!

lhaley
                          Participant

Your right, they are on the move. In our local paper it said they are headed to SC!!   I've been freaked out by Palmetto bugs since we've moved, I don't want any stink bugs!!

dian in spokane
                            Participant

thank heavens he waited! and YOU can thank your lucky stars that ~I~ listen to public radio and got the stinky lowdown on these just yesterday on Science Friday!

First..you should NOT try to dose them with a mess of poison cuz it won't work. They are on the move, like salmon, or pilgrams. More will just replace them, and the poison is not good to you, and won't work.

The most essential thing apparently is to seal their route in. So you have to seek out and seal any entrances, cracks and holes.

then you are supposed to use a vacuum cleaner to get them out of your house, and just get rid of that bag when you are done.

I'm pretty sure these critters will be gone soon, don't despair!

I'll see if I can find that NPR show. The lady expert talked about stinkbugs like she was wild about them

MarieM
                              Participant

Hey Don…How ARE YOU? Your picture didn't work (Ha!) but unfortunately, I don't NEED a picture….I NEED an exterminator. I got Chris…he promised to go to the home depot and get something toxic for stinkbugs but not toxic to small Yorkies. …AFTER the JET game. Wait til he asks for something…..I bet I won't have to wait long…..

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR…..

DonW
                              Participant

Does it look like this? Kinda cute! C'mon, we have to share the planet.

TinaR
                                Participant

Marie

I posted about them…even included a picture in Yawn's thread "checking in"…My sister had to have the exterminator in… she had thousands. They are everywhere and more are coming. The exterminator says three visits…one more this season and then in the spring. They are gross…almost caused an accident for me when I found one on my arm in my car.

She had to buy a shop vac to pick up the dead bodies…they are all over her deck, her windows…it is disgusting.

Sorry. Make sure they don't come in the vents.

Roxanne

TinaR
                                  Participant

Marie

I posted about them…even included a picture in Yawn's thread "checking in"…My sister had to have the exterminator in… she had thousands. They are everywhere and more are coming. The exterminator says three visits…one more this season and then in the spring. They are gross…almost caused an accident for me when I found one on my arm in my car.

She had to buy a shop vac to pick up the dead bodies…they are all over her deck, her windows…it is disgusting.

Sorry. Make sure they don't come in the vents.

Roxanne

yoop
                                    Participant

Hi Marie,

Cougars and now stinkbugs?  Winter is coming so they will be gone soon, just don't squish them.  We get these nasty little earwigs every once in a while, even had one drop in my coffee somehow and had to spit it out.  That was nassssttyyyy and was the perfect way to muck up the beginning of the day.

A few years ago in the U.P. we were infiltrated by the big dumb fly.  Not household flies but ones as big as a horsefly.  They didn't bite but would land on you.  Honestly there would be up to 20 on you at any given time.  This was also the same year when the Rainbow people decided to hold their hug fest in Ottowa National Forest.  Pretty sure there were about 5,000 of the young hippies.  The week that they stayed in the woods and hugged trees was close to 90 degrees every day.  Maybe the huge doses of drugs kept the bugs at bay or they didn't notice them, but I did hear that they wouldn't be coming back.  I later saw a video made by the marshall's who patrolled the area on horses.  Make a mental note here:  Do Not Attend One of These Events.  Scary, very scary, unless you're into that kind of thing.

yoop

MarieM
                                        Participant

Hey Yoop…how ARE YOU?? And..married life? I hope all is wonderful.

I assure you, you don't have to worry about ME attending an event like that. I got a bit freaked (ok..a little more than a bit) this past weekend. I only had the door open for a couple of minutes with the screen CLOSED..and twelve of them came rushing in. YUCK. I got them all….kept the house sealed tight…and three days of rain seemed to help. I don't see any anymore. There are a couple of dead ones on window sills.  If they came back…I wouldn't even be able to check into a motel/hotel…there is a bed bug infestation. My Mom and Dad would have to make room! Ha!

And….I sometimes STILL think of that cougar. What do you think happened to it? No more sitings?? How can a cougar disappear in populated central NJ???? Scary stuff I tell ya. But thanks for thinking of me!

Marie

dian in spokane
                                          Participant

that cougar went back to wherever it was before it wandered into your neighborhood.

it's got it's OWN neighborhood.

You don't think someone just imported that cougar and dropped it there do you?

MarieM
                                            Participant

Dian…I have NO IDEA HOW it got here..only that there is NO OWN COUGAR neighborhood NEAR MY neighborhood. I wish yoop never brought it up. I was just starting to feel SAFE again! Jeeze…

Marie

dian in spokane
                                              Participant

well.. I don't doubt that there is NO cougar neighborhood near your neighborhood. Although that would be the only explanation for what happened to your cougar. I mean,..if it was a wild cougar, then it MUST have it's own neighborhood. And if it's a PET cougar (is there such a thing?) it would have been all over your local news right?

Cougars are pretty common out here in the west, where they live pretty darned close to people, with most of the people being unaware of them until a few are mauled on a hiking trail or something. But they are western animals I think. I mean, I don't know if they live in the wild that far east.

I could be wrong, but I think New Jersey is the most densely populated state in the nation. With people, which would naturally cut down on available wild cougar areas. If there's enough wild country for deer, then there might be enough for cougars, but.. are you sure it wasn't a bobcat you saw?

in any case, cougar, bobcat, tiger…the stinkbugs are probably a more pressing concern

MarieM
                                                Participant

Dian…

It WAS all over the local news…months after Jess and I encountered it right outside my developement. But no one believed us. It WAS NOT a Bobcat. I learned since then the difference. It WAS scary and gave us both nightmares. It has never been caught or found..and we DO have deer. Lots of deer. And this one was spotting CHASING them. It was also spotted by a neighbor pacing behind our houses! OK..no more cougars. It's been 10 months since we saw it….8 months since it made the news. Nothing since then. Maybe it found it's way to Great Adventure's Safari or whatever it's called. I hope so.

Marie

dian in spokane
                                                  Participant

well…when it was on the local news, didn't they call some wildlife expert and say 'hey..what's the western mountain lion doing in jersey?"

if she wasn't an escapee..and hasn't been found or killed, then he probably IS living with the with the deer m'dear.

Is the Great Adventures Safari so cool that wildlife wants to break IN? I am gonna put it on my 'to visit' list. Though..if you do have a cougar in your neighborhood, I'm sure she'd be safer at the GAS than running around in traffic.

dian in spokane
                                                    Participant

well…when it was on the local news, didn't they call some wildlife expert and say 'hey..what's the western mountain lion doing in jersey?"

if she wasn't an escapee..and hasn't been found or killed, then he probably IS living with the with the deer m'dear.

Is the Great Adventures Safari so cool that wildlife wants to break IN? I am gonna put it on my 'to visit' list. Though..if you do have a cougar in your neighborhood, I'm sure she'd be safer at the GAS than running around in traffic.

MarieM
                                                      Participant

Dian…

It WAS all over the local news…months after Jess and I encountered it right outside my developement. But no one believed us. It WAS NOT a Bobcat. I learned since then the difference. It WAS scary and gave us both nightmares. It has never been caught or found..and we DO have deer. Lots of deer. And this one was spotting CHASING them. It was also spotted by a neighbor pacing behind our houses! OK..no more cougars. It's been 10 months since we saw it….8 months since it made the news. Nothing since then. Maybe it found it's way to Great Adventure's Safari or whatever it's called. I hope so.

Marie

dian in spokane
                                                        Participant

well.. I don't doubt that there is NO cougar neighborhood near your neighborhood. Although that would be the only explanation for what happened to your cougar. I mean,..if it was a wild cougar, then it MUST have it's own neighborhood. And if it's a PET cougar (is there such a thing?) it would have been all over your local news right?

Cougars are pretty common out here in the west, where they live pretty darned close to people, with most of the people being unaware of them until a few are mauled on a hiking trail or something. But they are western animals I think. I mean, I don't know if they live in the wild that far east.

I could be wrong, but I think New Jersey is the most densely populated state in the nation. With people, which would naturally cut down on available wild cougar areas. If there's enough wild country for deer, then there might be enough for cougars, but.. are you sure it wasn't a bobcat you saw?

in any case, cougar, bobcat, tiger…the stinkbugs are probably a more pressing concern

MarieM
                                                          Participant

Dian…I have NO IDEA HOW it got here..only that there is NO OWN COUGAR neighborhood NEAR MY neighborhood. I wish yoop never brought it up. I was just starting to feel SAFE again! Jeeze…

Marie

dian in spokane
                                                            Participant

that cougar went back to wherever it was before it wandered into your neighborhood.

it's got it's OWN neighborhood.

You don't think someone just imported that cougar and dropped it there do you?

yoop
                                                              Participant

Morning Marie,

Married life is good, thanks for asking.  Hope all is well with you.

Here is what happened to the cougar.  After the cougar traumatized you and your daughter a plan was undertaken.  Dan and I conversed and set it up.  First we called John who supplied us with a tranqualizer gun, he couldn't come since he was making a house call to clear up some dogs anal stuff and then had to moon over his wife.  Dan called Yawn and we then met near your house.  When the coast was clear we snuck in and scooped up your dear Coco for bait then went down the road to some woods and lay in wait.  We made a makeshift blind, hid the case of Bud's in a cooler and sat/drank.  Dan wanted to be the one to shoot and we all agreed (Not sure why since Dan had several Bloody Mary's prior.)  Ol' Coco started whining and the big cat musta heard it.  The big feline crept in and was about to pounce when Dan swung into action.  Swung is appropriate since the case of beer was almost gone and the vodka took its toll, Dan was wiggly when he shot and the needle hit the cat in the ear.  Cat goes beserk and charges Yawn where it proceeds to maul him.  Dan got startled, tripped backwards, the gun goes off and hits the cat perfect and the cat goes down.  Yawn is now all mauled up and we had to bring him to the E.R. where the deep scars have left him unidentifiable.  Dan and I drove back to the cat, loaded it up and drove forever to let it go near Dian in Spokane to be with other cougars.  There, you can sleep sound.

yoop

Oh, forgot Coco.  Evidently Coco was scared when we put it in Dan's car and crapped all over.  Dan was happy when we threw it back on the porch.

MarieM
                                                                Participant

Thank y ou Yoop..that was a GREAT story! I could see the whole thing happening JUST that way too! :~)  So glad to know I can relax and sleep better too! Thanks for not hurting Coco…he's family here! All the way to Spokane eh? Did Dian cook for you when you got there. I hear she's amazing in the kitchen. The trick is to catch her home! :~)

Marie

dian in spokane
                                                                  Participant

ain't that the truth!

I'm making beef stroganoff right now! I used top loin and portabellos..there's some cabernet in there making the house smell like a gawdamn 4 star restaurant.

I will never lose any weigh thisaway

come on over

dian

dian in spokane
                                                                    Participant

ain't that the truth!

I'm making beef stroganoff right now! I used top loin and portabellos..there's some cabernet in there making the house smell like a gawdamn 4 star restaurant.

I will never lose any weigh thisaway

come on over

dian

MarieM
                                                                      Participant

Thank y ou Yoop..that was a GREAT story! I could see the whole thing happening JUST that way too! :~)  So glad to know I can relax and sleep better too! Thanks for not hurting Coco…he's family here! All the way to Spokane eh? Did Dian cook for you when you got there. I hear she's amazing in the kitchen. The trick is to catch her home! :~)

Marie

yoop
                                                                        Participant

Morning Marie,

Married life is good, thanks for asking.  Hope all is well with you.

Here is what happened to the cougar.  After the cougar traumatized you and your daughter a plan was undertaken.  Dan and I conversed and set it up.  First we called John who supplied us with a tranqualizer gun, he couldn't come since he was making a house call to clear up some dogs anal stuff and then had to moon over his wife.  Dan called Yawn and we then met near your house.  When the coast was clear we snuck in and scooped up your dear Coco for bait then went down the road to some woods and lay in wait.  We made a makeshift blind, hid the case of Bud's in a cooler and sat/drank.  Dan wanted to be the one to shoot and we all agreed (Not sure why since Dan had several Bloody Mary's prior.)  Ol' Coco started whining and the big cat musta heard it.  The big feline crept in and was about to pounce when Dan swung into action.  Swung is appropriate since the case of beer was almost gone and the vodka took its toll, Dan was wiggly when he shot and the needle hit the cat in the ear.  Cat goes beserk and charges Yawn where it proceeds to maul him.  Dan got startled, tripped backwards, the gun goes off and hits the cat perfect and the cat goes down.  Yawn is now all mauled up and we had to bring him to the E.R. where the deep scars have left him unidentifiable.  Dan and I drove back to the cat, loaded it up and drove forever to let it go near Dian in Spokane to be with other cougars.  There, you can sleep sound.

yoop

Oh, forgot Coco.  Evidently Coco was scared when we put it in Dan's car and crapped all over.  Dan was happy when we threw it back on the porch.

MarieM
                                                                          Participant

Hey Yoop…how ARE YOU?? And..married life? I hope all is wonderful.

I assure you, you don't have to worry about ME attending an event like that. I got a bit freaked (ok..a little more than a bit) this past weekend. I only had the door open for a couple of minutes with the screen CLOSED..and twelve of them came rushing in. YUCK. I got them all….kept the house sealed tight…and three days of rain seemed to help. I don't see any anymore. There are a couple of dead ones on window sills.  If they came back…I wouldn't even be able to check into a motel/hotel…there is a bed bug infestation. My Mom and Dad would have to make room! Ha!

And….I sometimes STILL think of that cougar. What do you think happened to it? No more sitings?? How can a cougar disappear in populated central NJ???? Scary stuff I tell ya. But thanks for thinking of me!

Marie

yoop
                                                                          Participant

Hi Marie,

Cougars and now stinkbugs?  Winter is coming so they will be gone soon, just don't squish them.  We get these nasty little earwigs every once in a while, even had one drop in my coffee somehow and had to spit it out.  That was nassssttyyyy and was the perfect way to muck up the beginning of the day.

A few years ago in the U.P. we were infiltrated by the big dumb fly.  Not household flies but ones as big as a horsefly.  They didn't bite but would land on you.  Honestly there would be up to 20 on you at any given time.  This was also the same year when the Rainbow people decided to hold their hug fest in Ottowa National Forest.  Pretty sure there were about 5,000 of the young hippies.  The week that they stayed in the woods and hugged trees was close to 90 degrees every day.  Maybe the huge doses of drugs kept the bugs at bay or they didn't notice them, but I did hear that they wouldn't be coming back.  I later saw a video made by the marshall's who patrolled the area on horses.  Make a mental note here:  Do Not Attend One of These Events.  Scary, very scary, unless you're into that kind of thing.

yoop

BethA in VA
                                                                            Participant

Uhhh…these stupid nasty bugs are in VA too.  They are everywhere…and seem to love my curtain folds.  They are inside every window, outside at doors and windows, on the ceiling, and in curtains.  I don't squash them, but sometimes collect them in a plastic bowl with a cover.  Its just so many of them.  Beth

MarieM
                                                                                Participant

Beth…sincere sympathies…..EWWWWWWWW they are soooo gross!

Marie

MarieM
                                                                                  Participant

Beth…sincere sympathies…..EWWWWWWWW they are soooo gross!

Marie

BethA in VA
                                                                                  Participant

Uhhh…these stupid nasty bugs are in VA too.  They are everywhere…and seem to love my curtain folds.  They are inside every window, outside at doors and windows, on the ceiling, and in curtains.  I don't squash them, but sometimes collect them in a plastic bowl with a cover.  Its just so many of them.  Beth

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics