The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Starting Low Dose of Radiation

Forums General Melanoma Community Starting Low Dose of Radiation

Participant
      Scans/Onco say tumor has increased in size. Onco said it may just be the treatment causing it to enlarge. (Ipi/Nivo)
      There was an additional lymphnode that lit up a bit, as well but no other signs of spread..
      Doing number 3 treatment on Friday and starting 20 days of radiation – Mon thru Fri for ten minutes a day.
      Anyone do the same? Any side effects from radiation- the combo of Ipi/Nivo have been a bit harsh at times.
    Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Carlsbad317
        Participant
          One more question-
          The fatigue seems to be increasing –
          Treatment 1 Nivo/Ipi
          Treatment 2. Nivo/Ipi
          Treatment 3 Nivo only
          With all treatments inflixmaub for Fi issues was dropped in as well.
          Does the fatigue lift or is it after the for treatments of combo then better with the maintenance?
          Carlsbad317
          Participant
            One more question-
            The fatigue seems to be increasing –
            Treatment 1 Nivo/Ipi
            Treatment 2. Nivo/Ipi
            Treatment 3 Nivo only
            With all treatments inflixmaub for Fi issues was dropped in as well.
            Does the fatigue lift or is it after the for treatments of combo then better with the maintenance?
              Bubbles
              Participant
                This early in your immunotherapy treatment, it is fairly common to see an increase in tumor size due to an influx of cells and inflammation from that process. However, if your doc thinks that radiation is a good plan….there is certainly plenty of data to show that immunotherapy combined with radiation has greater response rates than either treatment alone. Here are tons of reports: https://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/search?q=radiation+and+immunotherapy
                As to the fatigue, sadly it is common with all immunotherapy and radiation. However, ipi is the bad boy of side effects so hopefully now that (as I understand it) you will be on nivo alone, you may feel some better. I had SRS to a brain met, but I can’t really answer how radiation as you will experience will be. I imagine others will chime in. I wish you my best. Celeste
              guynamedbilly
              Participant
                I received a high dose to my scalp, so I’m not sure what all the differences are. Hair loss for sure. It was swollen, and painful for about a week and a half starting on the last week of treatments. The skin peeled a lot. The other side effects I had I don’t imagine would happen with y’all because of the location, but I lost sense of taste and smell for about a month and a half. I smelled metallic acidic smells often. That was honestly the worst part. Eating with no enjoyment whatsoever.

About 7 months later, I have no residual side effects other than the hair loss being permanent.

Viewing 2 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics