The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Starting Interferon

Forums General Melanoma Community Starting Interferon

Participant

Hi everyone!  I am 32 and just recently had my 6 mo full body check and had a "clean" check and this was also my 5 year mark from my first non-invasive Melanoma.  About a month later a lesion appeared on my ear and after pathology returned it showed it was another melanoma.  So I had surgery to remove the lesion and they also performed a sentinel node biopsy.  The path on the sx came back and showed clean margins on the Melanoma, but not very big.  Also, one of my lymph nodes came back positive.  I have another surgery lined up in about 1 1/2 weeks to

Hi everyone!  I am 32 and just recently had my 6 mo full body check and had a "clean" check and this was also my 5 year mark from my first non-invasive Melanoma.  About a month later a lesion appeared on my ear and after pathology returned it showed it was another melanoma.  So I had surgery to remove the lesion and they also performed a sentinel node biopsy.  The path on the sx came back and showed clean margins on the Melanoma, but not very big.  Also, one of my lymph nodes came back positive.  I have another surgery lined up in about 1 1/2 weeks to go in and remove a larger section on the ear and to remove all the lymph nodes from that side of my neck.  I am due back to the oncologist's office later this week to discuss the staging of the cancer and future treatment.  I am guessing from what I have read on all the legit websites that they will stage it Stage III-a.  At my prior appt w/ the oncologist he briefly mentione Interferon treatment.  Just curious as to how all of you younger patients out there responded to it?  Side effects?  I am very active and healthy, so I am hoping that will be to some benefit.  I also have long, thick hair and the vain side of me is curious to how much of it I will lose??  Fertility?  Did anyone freeze eggs?  How long was the I.V. part of it?  Thanks!  I am sure I will have many questions in the future, but these will get me started =)

Thank you!

Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

I'm sure you'll get some responses, but in the meantime, do a search.  There are TONS of questions and answers about everything you've asked already discussed on this site.  Hair loss, youth, side effects, things to do to minimize side effect, length of IV period and all the rest.  I probably have some links on my site (below) from older posts under Patient Perspectives (haven't updated my stuff in a while).

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
          Participant

I'm sure you'll get some responses, but in the meantime, do a search.  There are TONS of questions and answers about everything you've asked already discussed on this site.  Hair loss, youth, side effects, things to do to minimize side effect, length of IV period and all the rest.  I probably have some links on my site (below) from older posts under Patient Perspectives (haven't updated my stuff in a while).

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
            Participant

Best wishes,

Janner

Becky
              Participant

Hi

My son was only 21 when he did a year of interferon. The first month he went for IV infusions 5 days a week. It would take about 2 hours everytime…had to get fluids, etc. He would go as late in the afternoon as possible so that most of the side effects would be in the evening and he could sleep it off.

After the first month, he did the self injections 3x a week for 11 months. The first month was the hardest but after that it was managable ( he was a college student).

He did not lose any hair. I asked about fertility and if he should freeze some sperm (i want to be a gramma some day!) but none of the doctors thought that was necessary.

You need to know that there is a lot of controversy surrounding interferon…many people do not believe the (slim chance) of benefits are worth the side effects, for some people long lasting. For us, it was the option given and I think he is glad he did it.

Good luck

Becky

Becky
                Participant

Hi

My son was only 21 when he did a year of interferon. The first month he went for IV infusions 5 days a week. It would take about 2 hours everytime…had to get fluids, etc. He would go as late in the afternoon as possible so that most of the side effects would be in the evening and he could sleep it off.

After the first month, he did the self injections 3x a week for 11 months. The first month was the hardest but after that it was managable ( he was a college student).

He did not lose any hair. I asked about fertility and if he should freeze some sperm (i want to be a gramma some day!) but none of the doctors thought that was necessary.

You need to know that there is a lot of controversy surrounding interferon…many people do not believe the (slim chance) of benefits are worth the side effects, for some people long lasting. For us, it was the option given and I think he is glad he did it.

Good luck

Becky

Becky
                  Participant

Hi

Good luck

Becky

Colleen66
                    Participant

I started interferon this last December and I only tolerated 3 of the high dose weeks.  I had severe enough side effects that the doctor stopped the treatment and didn't want me to do the shots either.  

Colleen 

Colleen66
                      Participant

I started interferon this last December and I only tolerated 3 of the high dose weeks.  I had severe enough side effects that the doctor stopped the treatment and didn't want me to do the shots either.  

Colleen 

Colleen66
                        Participant

Colleen 

Cooper
                            Participant

Interferon hasn't been shown to increase overall survival.  There are clinical trials you could look at,  MAGE A3,  the IPI trial etc.  If you have history of depression, do not do it as it can make it very bad.  Do some more research before making your choice.  A lot of discussion on this at melanomaforum.org too.

Cooper
                              Participant

Interferon hasn't been shown to increase overall survival.  There are clinical trials you could look at,  MAGE A3,  the IPI trial etc.  If you have history of depression, do not do it as it can make it very bad.  Do some more research before making your choice.  A lot of discussion on this at melanomaforum.org too.

Cooper
                                Participant

Cooper
                                  Participant

Cooper
                                    Participant

Cooper
                                      Participant

ncdaniel
                                      Participant

Please strongly look into the results of Interferon treatment. When my wife was first treated and had a significant portion of the back of her head removed for stage IIIc  melanoma which was done at a melanoma center while there we met with a melanoma oncologist who gave us the facts that interferon has at best 10% results. We went back to our home town and saw a local general oncologist who immediately suggested interferon which my wife and I decided not to do. A month later my wife had a second spot of melanoma removed on her head by the surgeon who perform the first surgery. We asked a gain about melanoma and he stated that latest research from Australia concluded that interferon results may be more in the 2% effective rate. Make sure your oncologist is experienced in Melanoma we are so happy that the main care for my wife has been with a Melanoma oncologist. Please check the facts I have stated to make sure they are correct but as you have here continue to do your own research. Good Luck!

ncdaniel
                                        Participant

Please strongly look into the results of Interferon treatment. When my wife was first treated and had a significant portion of the back of her head removed for stage IIIc  melanoma which was done at a melanoma center while there we met with a melanoma oncologist who gave us the facts that interferon has at best 10% results. We went back to our home town and saw a local general oncologist who immediately suggested interferon which my wife and I decided not to do. A month later my wife had a second spot of melanoma removed on her head by the surgeon who perform the first surgery. We asked a gain about melanoma and he stated that latest research from Australia concluded that interferon results may be more in the 2% effective rate. Make sure your oncologist is experienced in Melanoma we are so happy that the main care for my wife has been with a Melanoma oncologist. Please check the facts I have stated to make sure they are correct but as you have here continue to do your own research. Good Luck!

ncdaniel
                                          Participant

Ali
                                            Participant

I did interferon when I was 28.  4 weeks with a PICC line in during the high dose phase.  I made it 8 months on the self injections.  The last months the fatigue was just too much.  I was on an anti depressant and anti anxiety by the end.  As a healthy and happy person before, it sure played tricks with my mind.  Luckily all the negatives went away when I stopped treatments, along with all my prescription drugs.  ๐Ÿ™‚  My hair did fall out a bunch, but not enough that anyone would notice.  It was just annoying, not ugly.  I don't believe it would effect your fertility, but ask your doctors. 

I would do it again.  I would do anything I can for even a small chance of benefit.  Interferon was the only drug available when I was IIIB.  I do think it did what the doctors thought it might-delayed my recurrence (it didnt' show up again until 4 years later).  Anyway, good luck with your decision!  It is a hard choice, I don't think there is a right or wrong that fits everyone. 

Ali
                                              Participant

I did interferon when I was 28.  4 weeks with a PICC line in during the high dose phase.  I made it 8 months on the self injections.  The last months the fatigue was just too much.  I was on an anti depressant and anti anxiety by the end.  As a healthy and happy person before, it sure played tricks with my mind.  Luckily all the negatives went away when I stopped treatments, along with all my prescription drugs.  ๐Ÿ™‚  My hair did fall out a bunch, but not enough that anyone would notice.  It was just annoying, not ugly.  I don't believe it would effect your fertility, but ask your doctors. 

I would do it again.  I would do anything I can for even a small chance of benefit.  Interferon was the only drug available when I was IIIB.  I do think it did what the doctors thought it might-delayed my recurrence (it didnt' show up again until 4 years later).  Anyway, good luck with your decision!  It is a hard choice, I don't think there is a right or wrong that fits everyone. 

Ali
                                                Participant

Mandi0280
                                                  Participant

Hello,

My husband took interferon last year when he was 38.He is stage 3b. He chose to only do the 1 month high dose part and didn't want the 11 month injection phase. He went 5 days a week for 1 month to a local hospital. Be prepared to be there for at least 4 hours every time. They do labs and have to wait for the results most days before they will even start the treatment. My husband had fever,chills,body aches,nausea  and some headaches. BUT…after the first week we learned to give him meds before the treatment started and sometimes even during the tratment. Ask your DR to order a nausea med IV to give you before treatment every day. It will mean being there longer but will also mean you will feel better every day. You can do this and still function on a daily basis. My husband was lucky enough to be off work the whole time he was in treatment but some ppl work the whole time. That was just not possible for him. He finished up in June and although I wanted him to do the 11 month injection phase he chose not to. He was so ready to get back to work and feel "normal". He has been NED through 2 scans since then and goes for scans this Friday. Hopefully I will be able to say he is still NED. Even though he is having symptoms to suggest there is something going on. Good Luck to you!

Mandi

Mandi0280
                                                    Participant

Hello,

My husband took interferon last year when he was 38.He is stage 3b. He chose to only do the 1 month high dose part and didn't want the 11 month injection phase. He went 5 days a week for 1 month to a local hospital. Be prepared to be there for at least 4 hours every time. They do labs and have to wait for the results most days before they will even start the treatment. My husband had fever,chills,body aches,nausea  and some headaches. BUT…after the first week we learned to give him meds before the treatment started and sometimes even during the tratment. Ask your DR to order a nausea med IV to give you before treatment every day. It will mean being there longer but will also mean you will feel better every day. You can do this and still function on a daily basis. My husband was lucky enough to be off work the whole time he was in treatment but some ppl work the whole time. That was just not possible for him. He finished up in June and although I wanted him to do the 11 month injection phase he chose not to. He was so ready to get back to work and feel "normal". He has been NED through 2 scans since then and goes for scans this Friday. Hopefully I will be able to say he is still NED. Even though he is having symptoms to suggest there is something going on. Good Luck to you!

Mandi

Mandi0280
                                                      Participant

Hello,

Mandi

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics