The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Starting Interferon Aug 13, scared as can be.

Forums General Melanoma Community Starting Interferon Aug 13, scared as can be.

Participant

I just stumbled across this website today and I'm not really sure how this all works. I got diagnosed with stage 3a melanoma a few months ago and have undergone two surgeries already, and am about to start interferon in a few days. 

I was wondering what type of stuff I can expect during the initial weeks of treatment? I know everyone is different but if you could share any experiences you have had that would be greatly appreciated.

I'm really scared about the upcoming year, and its nice to have found a place where I can know I'm not alone.

Viewing 23 reply threads
    • Replies
        triciad
        Participant

Emma,

Interferon can definitely be a beast.  I finished my yearlong treatments on October 30th 2010.  I'm stage 3C.  It wasn't a great year, but it was doable for me.  I was able to teach first grade throughout the entire treatment; however, interferon affects people differently.  I also had the summer off (months 9+10), but I did a lot of "work" around the house.  Here are some of the things that helped me get through it; I hope some will help you, too.

– drink PLENTY of water – at least 64 ounces/day.

– eat whatever you can keep down – even if it's a whole Sara Lee poundcake – your body needs the fuel

– lemons, slurpees, pasta helped me alot

– anything with vinegar made me sick

– definitely lost taste for food and appetite, but you have to get whatever down that will stay down.

– I gave myself my shots around 7:00 with 2 Tylenol and 1 Benadryl…then went to bed

– slept until 6:30 each morning, so at least 11 hours of sleep/day

I gave my shots on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays.  This way during the week, Wed and Friday were a little rougher, but Monday and Tuesdays were pretty good.  The bottom line is that I gave myself over to Interferon for the year.  I didn't go out much, especially to night functions.  I knew it was too tough on my body, and I wanted to give my body every chance to make the full year.  I did…with no regrets.  Now, whatever happens is in God's hands, but I gave it my all.

Best of luck to you!  Keep us posted and let me know if you have any other questions.  God bless! 

Tricia

triciad
          Participant

Emma,

Interferon can definitely be a beast.  I finished my yearlong treatments on October 30th 2010.  I'm stage 3C.  It wasn't a great year, but it was doable for me.  I was able to teach first grade throughout the entire treatment; however, interferon affects people differently.  I also had the summer off (months 9+10), but I did a lot of "work" around the house.  Here are some of the things that helped me get through it; I hope some will help you, too.

– eat whatever you can keep down – even if it's a whole Sara Lee poundcake – your body needs the fuel

– definitely lost taste for food and appetite, but you have to get whatever down that will stay down.

– I gave myself my shots around 7:00 with 2 Tylenol and 1 Benadryl…then went to bed

I gave my shots on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays.  This way during the week, Wed and Friday were a little rougher, but Monday and Tuesdays were pretty good.  The bottom line is that I gave myself over to Interferon for the year.  I didn't go out much, especially to night functions.  I knew it was too tough on my body, and I wanted to give my body every chance to make the full year.  I did…with no regrets.  Now, whatever happens is in God's hands, but I gave it my all.

Best of luck to you!  Keep us posted and let me know if you have any other questions.  God bless! 

Tricia

EmmaR
              Participant

Tricia,

Thank you for the advice! I was just wondering how you decided what time of day you did your injections? Do they suggest at night? I was going into my fourth year of university this year but got it deffered as suggested by my oncologist, so I don't have much commitment to anything except my bed this year.
                I was hoping to try to keep a bit of a social life though, but I guess going to bed by 7 limits things quite a bit lol

Emma

EmmaR
                Participant

Tricia,

Thank you for the advice! I was just wondering how you decided what time of day you did your injections? Do they suggest at night? I was going into my fourth year of university this year but got it deffered as suggested by my oncologist, so I don't have much commitment to anything except my bed this year.
                  I was hoping to try to keep a bit of a social life though, but I guess going to bed by 7 limits things quite a bit lol

Emma

EmmaR
                  Participant

Tricia,

Emma

triciad
                  Participant

Emma,

Tricia

Gene_S
                    Participant

HI Emma,

Simply changing your diet and lifestyle has a far better chance of curing your melanoma than interferon, unfortunately your oncologist will never tell you this! He not allowed even though it know it.

The following info is what I gave to my oncologist when he wanted me to take interferon, (this is from another forum group)  I refused to take it and still I am happy about my decision even though I progressed to stage IV.

Remember It is your choice and your body!

=============== READ AND UNDERSTAND ==============

Re: Interferon Posted: 4:40:56 pm on 1/4/2008 

Interferon can be a tough treatment to take. The research on it has been controversial, with opponents saying it only extends time of recurrence but not overall survival. Many centers of excellence don't prescribe it for melanoma treatment and that includes, Sloane Kettering, Mayo Clinic, Penn, and Johns Hopkins. It was once thought that the initial high dose might be the part that does something but that hasn't panned out.   I hope you have discussed this with your doctor and you may need another opinion about it as well. 
                      ============================================
                      Re: Stage IIIA-To Interferon or Not To Interferon?

As a patient advocate I just want you to consider what you are choosing very carefully.  I totally understand your reasons for choosing a toxic therapy such as interferon, as there really are no alternatives. (leukine or watch and wait) It is a scary prospect to think about melanoma recurring.  But let me reiterate what the experts have told me:  interferon does not prevent recurrence, or extend lifetime survival,  it MAY extend recurrence time by one year.  You may lose one year of productivity and quality of life.  Do not choose interferon if you have a family history or personal history of depression or mental illness of any kind. It is known to exacerbate these conditions and it can be long term debilitation. 
                      ===========================================

Attitude and your diet are very important as well as getting some sunshine on your skin.

Avoid stress the best that you can. Drink lots of Spring water and get adequate amount of sleep.

Here is where I would start… obtain, read and understand the book "The Maker's Diet". Have your blood tested for Vitamin D-3 deficiency and spend the time learning about your cancer. I believe that my melanoma was caused by the lack of sun, my diet and poor sleeping habits.

Best Wishes,  Gene

Here is an excellent video about cancer in general, it is a must see video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnaBG177VIw&feature=related

Gene_S
                      Participant

HI Emma,

Simply changing your diet and lifestyle has a far better chance of curing your melanoma than interferon, unfortunately your oncologist will never tell you this! He not allowed even though it know it.

The following info is what I gave to my oncologist when he wanted me to take interferon, (this is from another forum group)  I refused to take it and still I am happy about my decision even though I progressed to stage IV.

Interferon can be a tough treatment to take. The research on it has been controversial, with opponents saying it only extends time of recurrence but not overall survival. Many centers of excellence don't prescribe it for melanoma treatment and that includes, Sloane Kettering, Mayo Clinic, Penn, and Johns Hopkins. It was once thought that the initial high dose might be the part that does something but that hasn't panned out.   I hope you have discussed this with your doctor and you may need another opinion about it as well. 

As a patient advocate I just want you to consider what you are choosing very carefully.  I totally understand your reasons for choosing a toxic therapy such as interferon, as there really are no alternatives. (leukine or watch and wait) It is a scary prospect to think about melanoma recurring.  But let me reiterate what the experts have told me:  interferon does not prevent recurrence, or extend lifetime survival,  it MAY extend recurrence time by one year.  You may lose one year of productivity and quality of life.  Do not choose interferon if you have a family history or personal history of depression or mental illness of any kind. It is known to exacerbate these conditions and it can be long term debilitation. 

Attitude and your diet are very important as well as getting some sunshine on your skin.

Avoid stress the best that you can. Drink lots of Spring water and get adequate amount of sleep.

Here is where I would start… obtain, read and understand the book "The Maker's Diet". Have your blood tested for Vitamin D-3 deficiency and spend the time learning about your cancer. I believe that my melanoma was caused by the lack of sun, my diet and poor sleeping habits.

Best Wishes,  Gene

Gene_S
                        Participant

HI Emma,

Best Wishes,  Gene

audgator
                          Participant

This is a great site, but like any internet forum, be careful what you take as gospel. I did the full year of interferon. As you know there is a range of experiences and I would say I was on the mild end. I only threw up after the first infusion. I did feel lousy that first month and probably could not have worked. Fortunately I was in a good position to retire. The rest of the year, I slept more than usual and didn't feel like doing much but I wasn't really miserable. I also gave myself the shots before bed between 10 & 11 pm. I didn't need any other medication. I didn't feel like eating either and lost 20 pounds but I could well afford that! 😉  Best of luck.          Dan

Gene_S
                              Participant

Dan,

Do you feel that it cured your melanoma cancer 100% ?

Thanks, Gene

Gene_S
                                Participant

Dan,

Thanks, Gene

Gene_S
                                  Participant

Dan,

Thanks, Gene

audgator
                                  Participant

This is a great site, but like any internet forum, be careful what you take as gospel. I did the full year of interferon. As you know there is a range of experiences and I would say I was on the mild end. I only threw up after the first infusion. I did feel lousy that first month and probably could not have worked. Fortunately I was in a good position to retire. The rest of the year, I slept more than usual and didn't feel like doing much but I wasn't really miserable. I also gave myself the shots before bed between 10 & 11 pm. I didn't need any other medication. I didn't feel like eating either and lost 20 pounds but I could well afford that! 😉  Best of luck.          Dan

audgator
                                    Participant

gabsound
                                      Participant
                                        Emma,

I would suggest you do a search on Interferon on this site. There are LOTS of opinions and lots of people who have chosen to do it or not do it.

Whatever decision you make, don’t second guess yourself. The only right or wrong choice is the one you make for yourself.

Julie in Las Vegas

gabsound
                                        Participant
                                          Emma,

I would suggest you do a search on Interferon on this site. There are LOTS of opinions and lots of people who have chosen to do it or not do it.

Whatever decision you make, don’t second guess yourself. The only right or wrong choice is the one you make for yourself.

Julie in Las Vegas

gabsound
                                          Participant
                                            Emma,

Julie in Las Vegas

gabsound
                                              Participant
                                                Sorry,
                                                I meant to say there is no right or wrong choice. You decide what is best for YOU.

Julie

gabsound
                                                Participant
                                                  Sorry,
                                                  I meant to say there is no right or wrong choice. You decide what is best for YOU.

Julie

gabsound
                                                  Participant
                                                    Sorry,

Julie

BrianP
                                                  Participant

Emma,

I'm Stage 3B and 8 months into my interferon treatment.  I've been fairly fortunate and have had mild side effects but it still hasn't been a cake walk.  The first month was pretty tough but once I got on the low dose things got much better. For the first month I went to work about 9 or 10am, worked for a few hours (office work), and then left for the oncologist for a 2 or 3pm appointment.  If you have good veins you may be able to get the interferon with an IV.  My veins weren't good enough for this so I got a PICC (sp?) installed which is basically like a heavy duty IV that stays in for the whole month.  It wasn't too bad but I definitely was happy to get it out at the end of the month.  The first month appointments took about 2 to 3 hours.  I'd get a bag of fluids, a bag of pre meds, interferon bag, and lastly another bag of fluid.  I had some problems with rigors (shakes) and high temperature the first week.  That first month I slept a lot.  Things got a lot better once I got to the low dose but that's not always the case with everyone.  I do my shots Monday/Wed/Friday.  I do them at night.  I just take one 325mg tylenol with my shot.  Sometimes the following day I'll take an advil if I'm feeling achy.  Usually for me the worst time is about 18 hours after the shot. 

As has already been mentioned, water is the key.  I drank at least a gallon a day that first month.  I've tapered off a little after that first month but I still drink a lot.

I definitely have not put all my faith in interferon.  I've made drastic nutrition changes and take several supplemements.  Interferon is a tough choice.  For me personally if I lose this battle I know I will have done everything I possibly could to FIGHT it.  Most experts agree that interferon may not increase long term survival but most also agree that it may delay the progression which in this day and age with all the advances in treatment option could be enough to make a difference.

I think there's a way to private message me through this site if you have any other questions.  Please don't hesitate to do that if you have questions.  I had a couple people that went out of their way to answer my questions when I was starting my treatment that was invaluable.  Hang in there and stay positive. 

Brian

BrianP
                                                    Participant

Emma,

I'm Stage 3B and 8 months into my interferon treatment.  I've been fairly fortunate and have had mild side effects but it still hasn't been a cake walk.  The first month was pretty tough but once I got on the low dose things got much better. For the first month I went to work about 9 or 10am, worked for a few hours (office work), and then left for the oncologist for a 2 or 3pm appointment.  If you have good veins you may be able to get the interferon with an IV.  My veins weren't good enough for this so I got a PICC (sp?) installed which is basically like a heavy duty IV that stays in for the whole month.  It wasn't too bad but I definitely was happy to get it out at the end of the month.  The first month appointments took about 2 to 3 hours.  I'd get a bag of fluids, a bag of pre meds, interferon bag, and lastly another bag of fluid.  I had some problems with rigors (shakes) and high temperature the first week.  That first month I slept a lot.  Things got a lot better once I got to the low dose but that's not always the case with everyone.  I do my shots Monday/Wed/Friday.  I do them at night.  I just take one 325mg tylenol with my shot.  Sometimes the following day I'll take an advil if I'm feeling achy.  Usually for me the worst time is about 18 hours after the shot. 

As has already been mentioned, water is the key.  I drank at least a gallon a day that first month.  I've tapered off a little after that first month but I still drink a lot.

I definitely have not put all my faith in interferon.  I've made drastic nutrition changes and take several supplemements.  Interferon is a tough choice.  For me personally if I lose this battle I know I will have done everything I possibly could to FIGHT it.  Most experts agree that interferon may not increase long term survival but most also agree that it may delay the progression which in this day and age with all the advances in treatment option could be enough to make a difference.

I think there's a way to private message me through this site if you have any other questions.  Please don't hesitate to do that if you have questions.  I had a couple people that went out of their way to answer my questions when I was starting my treatment that was invaluable.  Hang in there and stay positive. 

Brian

BrianP
                                                      Participant

Emma,

Brian

EmmaR
                                                          Participant

I feel the same way, I wanted to make sure I did everything I could so that if I lost the fight, I knew it was not for lack of trying. I'm only 20 years old, so hopefully that works to my advantage.
                                                            Did you notice that on your weekends you had more energy or were you still just as heavily effected as if it was during the week when you were getting the IV.

EmmaR
                                                            Participant

I feel the same way, I wanted to make sure I did everything I could so that if I lost the fight, I knew it was not for lack of trying. I'm only 20 years old, so hopefully that works to my advantage.
                                                              Did you notice that on your weekends you had more energy or were you still just as heavily effected as if it was during the week when you were getting the IV.

Gene_S
                                                              Participant

Emma,

Watch this preview for the DVD of the same name.

"Healing Cancer From The Inside Out" – Preview

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0g_Bbkc5JQ

I have watched the complete DVD and they have stated that stage 3 melanoma has a very high cure

rate by changing your diet and lifestyle. See if you can obtain a copy and watch it!

If you are willing to commit to real life changes in your lifestyle and diet,

I feel that you can do much better than taking interferon (which is not a cure and is very toxic).

Best wishes and keep fighting…   Gene

Gene_S
                                                                Participant

Emma,

I have watched the complete DVD and they have stated that stage 3 melanoma has a very high cure

rate by changing your diet and lifestyle. See if you can obtain a copy and watch it!

I feel that you can do much better than taking interferon (which is not a cure and is very toxic).

Gene_S
                                                                  Participant

Emma,

BrianP
                                                                    Participant

Emma,

I definitely feel better on Sunday and Monday due to the length of time from my Friday night shot.  On the flip side, Tuesdays seem to be my worst day after the shot on Monday night.  It kinda seems like my body is getting used to not having the interferon and then it gets shocked again.  So to answer your question I would say yes to more energy on Sunday and Monday.  I didn't talk much about energy level in my first post but you'll definitely get physically tired quite easily.  I try and walk or swim a few times a week for exercise.  Jogging is not an option for me.  It's just too much exertion.

I have seen other postings in the past that have led me to believe that younger people seem to tolerate the interferon much better.  Hopefully that will be true for you.

Brian

BrianP
                                                                      Participant

Emma,

I definitely feel better on Sunday and Monday due to the length of time from my Friday night shot.  On the flip side, Tuesdays seem to be my worst day after the shot on Monday night.  It kinda seems like my body is getting used to not having the interferon and then it gets shocked again.  So to answer your question I would say yes to more energy on Sunday and Monday.  I didn't talk much about energy level in my first post but you'll definitely get physically tired quite easily.  I try and walk or swim a few times a week for exercise.  Jogging is not an option for me.  It's just too much exertion.

I have seen other postings in the past that have led me to believe that younger people seem to tolerate the interferon much better.  Hopefully that will be true for you.

Brian

BrianP
                                                                        Participant

Emma,

Brian

EmmaR
                                                                          Participant

mama1960
                                                                          Participant

I also did the full year. i was able to work, however I have an office job that is very sedentary. Could not have done anything very active.The only advise I can give you is know going into it that you will have to make adjustments to what you think you are capable of, do only what you have to, get all the rest possible. I mulled over all the statistics and decided I wanted to feel in my heart that I had done everything I could to fight this thing. Alos, try not to look at hte whole year, just one day at a time.

mama1960
                                                                            Participant

I also did the full year. i was able to work, however I have an office job that is very sedentary. Could not have done anything very active.The only advise I can give you is know going into it that you will have to make adjustments to what you think you are capable of, do only what you have to, get all the rest possible. I mulled over all the statistics and decided I wanted to feel in my heart that I had done everything I could to fight this thing. Alos, try not to look at hte whole year, just one day at a time.

mama1960
                                                                              Participant

Snickers60
                                                                                  Participant

The Best of Luck to you, Emma !   Glad you came here.   There's a wealth of troopers, info and wisdom here.  You'll find help and encouragement !

BLESSINGS FOR HEALING WITH THE INTERFERON !!!!

Nancy ( devoted wife of 3X warrior Wayne)

Snickers60
                                                                                    Participant

The Best of Luck to you, Emma !   Glad you came here.   There's a wealth of troopers, info and wisdom here.  You'll find help and encouragement !

Snickers60
                                                                                      Participant

Ali
                                                                                      Participant

Emma,  I too do not regret doing interferon.  I think it delayed my recurrence.  I did it when I was 28.  The first month was rough and very tiring, the next 7 months (I did 8 months) I had to sleep in and take a nap.  The hardest side effect for me was depression and anxiety, which didn't show up until 5 or 6 months or something.  The medicine they have can help with that.  The greatest thing about interferon is when you are done you keep feeling better and better almost instantly. 

Good luck!

Ali

Ali
                                                                                        Participant

Emma,  I too do not regret doing interferon.  I think it delayed my recurrence.  I did it when I was 28.  The first month was rough and very tiring, the next 7 months (I did 8 months) I had to sleep in and take a nap.  The hardest side effect for me was depression and anxiety, which didn't show up until 5 or 6 months or something.  The medicine they have can help with that.  The greatest thing about interferon is when you are done you keep feeling better and better almost instantly. 

Good luck!

Ali

Gene_S
                                                                                            Participant

Hello Ali,

I noticed that you stated that " I think it delayed my recurrence"  so where are you now afar as stages and treatments?

Best wishes, Gene

Gene_S
                                                                                              Participant

Hello Ali,

I noticed that you stated that " I think it delayed my recurrence"  so where are you now afar as stages and treatments?

Best wishes, Gene

Gene_S
                                                                                                Participant

Hello Ali,

Best wishes, Gene

Vermont_Donna
                                                                                                  Participant

Hi,

I did interferon (please review my profile) and as I understood it the drug delays the re-occurrence of melanoma and being stage 3a when initially diagnosed I chose to do the drug after talking with my oncologist and family. I believe it bought me time…as each melanoma treatment I have done has.

Its best to review all the information and choices and make the decision that best fits you and your family situation and dont regret choices once made. Be savvy of what you read on the internet and know that there are a variety of recommendations out there that are not proven to be helpful, and may even be harmful.

Hope this helps. Feel free to email me with any questions.

Vermont_Donna, stage 3a, NED

Vermont_Donna
                                                                                                    Participant

Hi,

I did interferon (please review my profile) and as I understood it the drug delays the re-occurrence of melanoma and being stage 3a when initially diagnosed I chose to do the drug after talking with my oncologist and family. I believe it bought me time…as each melanoma treatment I have done has.

Its best to review all the information and choices and make the decision that best fits you and your family situation and dont regret choices once made. Be savvy of what you read on the internet and know that there are a variety of recommendations out there that are not proven to be helpful, and may even be harmful.

Vermont_Donna
                                                                                                      Participant

Hi,

Ali
                                                                                                      Participant

Good luck!

Ali

Lauri England
                                                                                                        Participant

I also chose to do Interferon and I was stage IIIB at initial diagnosis.  In one more month I will be a year out from completing 11 months of interferon and I have been NED for almost a year now with the last 2 scans completely clear.  Did the interferon delay recurrance.  I certanly hope so.  I also have a friend that did Interferon over 14years ago and he was stage IIIC with more then half his lymphnodes effected and he has been NED for 13 years.  Was that the interferon?  Will never know, but there are a lot of personal success stories of people who used this drug and are still NED.  If I had to do it again I would.  I did not have extreemly bad side effects, but I could not work.  My whole story is on here of when I was on it and things I did that helped.  It is a very personal decision and the effects are diffenent for everyone.  I did not have any lasting effects as some people do but really any Cemo type of treatments seem to effect people differently.  Good luck…By the way all the research I have done Melanoma is never really CURED.  Just delayed and can return at any time in a persons life.  That is one the of scarriest things for me.  You never no.

Lauri England
                                                                                                          Participant

I also chose to do Interferon and I was stage IIIB at initial diagnosis.  In one more month I will be a year out from completing 11 months of interferon and I have been NED for almost a year now with the last 2 scans completely clear.  Did the interferon delay recurrance.  I certanly hope so.  I also have a friend that did Interferon over 14years ago and he was stage IIIC with more then half his lymphnodes effected and he has been NED for 13 years.  Was that the interferon?  Will never know, but there are a lot of personal success stories of people who used this drug and are still NED.  If I had to do it again I would.  I did not have extreemly bad side effects, but I could not work.  My whole story is on here of when I was on it and things I did that helped.  It is a very personal decision and the effects are diffenent for everyone.  I did not have any lasting effects as some people do but really any Cemo type of treatments seem to effect people differently.  Good luck…By the way all the research I have done Melanoma is never really CURED.  Just delayed and can return at any time in a persons life.  That is one the of scarriest things for me.  You never no.

Lauri England
                                                                                                            Participant

Viewing 23 reply threads
                                                                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics