The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Starting IL-2 treatment soon

Forums General Melanoma Community Starting IL-2 treatment soon

Participant

Aynone who has already gone through Il-2 able to tell me what the treatment was like and how side effects impacted them?

Viewing 20 reply threads
    • Replies
        Cooper
        Participant

Had to be in intensive care, with lots of side effects, chills, vomiting, awful time.  And had recur 6 months later.  Have you been offered other options?  Braf? IPI?

Cooper
          Participant

Had to be in intensive care, with lots of side effects, chills, vomiting, awful time.  And had recur 6 months later.  Have you been offered other options?  Braf? IPI?

mark1101
              Participant

Ipi failed for me at about 8 months into treatment.  I am on Zelboraf right now as part of a sequencing trial to study the benefits of IL-2 taken in sequence with BRAF meds.  I understand the IL-2 treatment can be tough.

mark1101
                Participant

Ipi failed for me at about 8 months into treatment.  I am on Zelboraf right now as part of a sequencing trial to study the benefits of IL-2 taken in sequence with BRAF meds.  I understand the IL-2 treatment can be tough.

mark1101
                  Participant

JoshF
                    Participant

Did you intially go NED with the IL-2? Where was your recurrence?

JoshF
                      Participant

JoshF
                        Participant

Cooper
                          Participant

Had tumors come back over the following six months. No response to IL2

Cooper
                            Participant

JoshF
                              Participant

No response at all or did IL-2 shrink tumors to only have them come back? Just curious at to whether you had partial response before IL-2 failure. What were treatments after IL-2?

JoshF
                                Participant

No response at all or did IL-2 shrink tumors to only have them come back? Just curious at to whether you had partial response before IL-2 failure. What were treatments after IL-2?

Cooper
                                  Participant

No tumor shrinkage.  On IPI now. plan to go for PD1 next if needed

Cooper
                                    Participant

Cooper
                                      Participant

JoshF
                                        Participant

Cooper
                                          Participant

mark1101
                                            Participant

Sounds like side effects of treatment seem to vary little from patient to patient.  So I think I know what to expect there.  I will be receiving treatment in Seidman Cancer Center, so I am hopeful they are well schooled in handling whatever difficulties I encounter.  I had heard a lot of good outcomes from the Zelboraf/IL-2 sequence so I am hopeful that this will be a likewise for me.  Thanks for all of the feedback.

mark1101
                                              Participant

Sounds like side effects of treatment seem to vary little from patient to patient.  So I think I know what to expect there.  I will be receiving treatment in Seidman Cancer Center, so I am hopeful they are well schooled in handling whatever difficulties I encounter.  I had heard a lot of good outcomes from the Zelboraf/IL-2 sequence so I am hopeful that this will be a likewise for me.  Thanks for all of the feedback.

mark1101
                                                Participant

Cooper
                                                Participant

kylez
                                                  Participant

Hi Mark,

5-6 days each cycle, and 2 cycles 3 weeks apart = 1 course. Everything in an ICU. I did 2 courses in 2010. Got a PICC line installed for each 5-6 day cycle. Every 8 hours I got another bag of IL-2 through IV. This was my introduction to cancer treatment. 

I bought an iPad (original, still have it) with the theory I would pass some of the time on the WAN. But a) there was no WAN and b) I was so impacted, tired, not up to thinking much that it would not have gotten used anyway. At various times I had chills, rigors, fever, vomiting/nausea, messed up sleep cycles every 15 minutes for days (last cycle only), constipation, diarrhea, itching are the side effects I got, but other people have reported additional side effects not on my list.

Back in 2010 before IPI, Zelboraf, etc. were approved I had a choice between biochemo and IL-2 — 8 tumors in my lungs, but none quite big enough for a clinical trial (biggest was .9mm). I was a responder (tumors in lungs disappeared after the first cycle, haven't come back since). Not that i haven't had setbacks since. 

Good luck with your treatment.

– Kyle

kylez
                                                      Participant

And, took 2-3 weeks to recover after each cycle (fatigue and itching primarily).

kylez
                                                        Participant

And, took 2-3 weeks to recover after each cycle (fatigue and itching primarily).

kylez
                                                          Participant

kylez
                                                          Participant

Hi Mark,

5-6 days each cycle, and 2 cycles 3 weeks apart = 1 course. Everything in an ICU. I did 2 courses in 2010. Got a PICC line installed for each 5-6 day cycle. Every 8 hours I got another bag of IL-2 through IV. This was my introduction to cancer treatment. 

I bought an iPad (original, still have it) with the theory I would pass some of the time on the WAN. But a) there was no WAN and b) I was so impacted, tired, not up to thinking much that it would not have gotten used anyway. At various times I had chills, rigors, fever, vomiting/nausea, messed up sleep cycles every 15 minutes for days (last cycle only), constipation, diarrhea, itching are the side effects I got, but other people have reported additional side effects not on my list.

Back in 2010 before IPI, Zelboraf, etc. were approved I had a choice between biochemo and IL-2 — 8 tumors in my lungs, but none quite big enough for a clinical trial (biggest was .9mm). I was a responder (tumors in lungs disappeared after the first cycle, haven't come back since). Not that i haven't had setbacks since. 

– Kyle

kylez
                                                            Participant

Hi Mark,

– Kyle

BrianP
                                                              Participant

Mark,

Jerryfromfauq did a very thorough account of his IL-2 experience under his profile.  You can find it here:

http://www.melanoma.org/community/profiles/jerryfromfauq

Brian

BrianP
                                                                Participant

Mark,

Jerryfromfauq did a very thorough account of his IL-2 experience under his profile.  You can find it here:

Brian

BrianP
                                                                  Participant

Mark,

Brian

JoshF
                                                                    Participant

Mark-

If I remember, you're doing the trial through Prometheus Labs? I just finished about 3 months ago..though I did ipi and IL-2. The way IL-2 was administered to me was check in Monday…first dose by 2-3PM up to 12 doses every 8 hours. Then I had week off and went in week 3 for 2nd round…same thing every 8 hours. I did 11 of 12 doses each week. It is as everyone said here….tough but doable. By Tuesday afternoon/evening it started to turn on me….rigors, chills, hallucinations….

There was a lot of fatigue during recovery, itchy etc…

Stay positive and take Brian's advice…reach out to Jerry from Fauq…he is good resource…I talked to him right before I went in.

Best to you!

Josh

JoshF
                                                                      Participant

Mark-

If I remember, you're doing the trial through Prometheus Labs? I just finished about 3 months ago..though I did ipi and IL-2. The way IL-2 was administered to me was check in Monday…first dose by 2-3PM up to 12 doses every 8 hours. Then I had week off and went in week 3 for 2nd round…same thing every 8 hours. I did 11 of 12 doses each week. It is as everyone said here….tough but doable. By Tuesday afternoon/evening it started to turn on me….rigors, chills, hallucinations….

Stay positive and take Brian's advice…reach out to Jerry from Fauq…he is good resource…I talked to him right before I went in.

Best to you!

Josh

JoshF
                                                                        Participant

Mark-

Best to you!

Josh

hdevlin
                                                                          Participant

Hi! I went through IL-2 treatment about 2 years ago. My story is posted in the patients stories section of this website, it details my treatment and my recovery afterwards.  I will say it was not the most pleasant experience but the healthcare providers are wonderful at helping you get through it.  I also have a blog, Heatherdevlin.blogspot.com. We detailed each day of treatment as it was happening. 

I wish you all the best. Try to be positive and strong!!!

hdevlin
                                                                            Participant

Hi! I went through IL-2 treatment about 2 years ago. My story is posted in the patients stories section of this website, it details my treatment and my recovery afterwards.  I will say it was not the most pleasant experience but the healthcare providers are wonderful at helping you get through it.  I also have a blog, Heatherdevlin.blogspot.com. We detailed each day of treatment as it was happening. 

hdevlin
                                                                              Participant

Bubbles
                                                                                Participant

I've never done IL2 , so no words of wisdom to offer…just warm, hopedul wishes for you. I know many researchers are very positive about this sequence. Yours, c

Bubbles
                                                                                  Participant

I've never done IL2 , so no words of wisdom to offer…just warm, hopedul wishes for you. I know many researchers are very positive about this sequence. Yours, c

Bubbles
                                                                                    Participant

Kim K
                                                                                      Participant

Search my past posts RE IL-2.  I was treated in May – June 2010.  I give a graphic detail of what to expect and things to make the experience a little more tolerable.

I am NED since July 2010 and now have a durable remission thanks to IL-2.  Tough but very doable and recovery is very quick.  You will also have the smoothest skin several weeks later after you are finished peeling.  Mainly I was tired, had no appetite.  The V & D was the pits, mostly the D.  I have some hints on how to prepare and things to bring to help alleviate ceartain "issues".

Best of luck, can't hurt and may help with the other immunotherapy effectiveness.

Kim K
                                                                                        Participant

Search my past posts RE IL-2.  I was treated in May – June 2010.  I give a graphic detail of what to expect and things to make the experience a little more tolerable.

I am NED since July 2010 and now have a durable remission thanks to IL-2.  Tough but very doable and recovery is very quick.  You will also have the smoothest skin several weeks later after you are finished peeling.  Mainly I was tired, had no appetite.  The V & D was the pits, mostly the D.  I have some hints on how to prepare and things to bring to help alleviate ceartain "issues".

Best of luck, can't hurt and may help with the other immunotherapy effectiveness.

Kim K
                                                                                          Participant

Viewing 20 reply threads
                                                                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics