The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Started Interferon Monday

Forums General Melanoma Community Started Interferon Monday

Participant

Just an update, I finished my radiation treatments and they went very well. The Interferon has been a tougher go. The chills are the worst but I will make it through. I did have another mole taken off and came back a-typical they are sending the slides to Brighan and Womens for futher study but to be honest I am not too worried about it. I will worry when they tell me it is something to worry about.

Peter

Just an update, I finished my radiation treatments and they went very well. The Interferon has been a tougher go. The chills are the worst but I will make it through. I did have another mole taken off and came back a-typical they are sending the slides to Brighan and Womens for futher study but to be honest I am not too worried about it. I will worry when they tell me it is something to worry about.

Peter

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        scots
        Participant

Peter,

I have been where you are now.   For the chills I used a heating blanket. I went through the HD and I just finished 11 month LD of interferon 3 weeks ago.  Heating Blanket, fluids and sleep will help. Its tough but I just took one day at a time. Hang in there.  I would be happy to answer any questions based on my experience.

scot

scots
          Participant

Peter,

I have been where you are now.   For the chills I used a heating blanket. I went through the HD and I just finished 11 month LD of interferon 3 weeks ago.  Heating Blanket, fluids and sleep will help. Its tough but I just took one day at a time. Hang in there.  I would be happy to answer any questions based on my experience.

scot

piii
              Participant

Thanks for the replies. Does the month of high dose get worse before it gets better? I did start to add Advil and it helped a little bit. So I alternate every 4 hours and it did help. Doctors say I can go every 3 hours if needed.

Peter

scots
                Participant

For me it got worse, but it leveled out after about a week.  

scot

scots
                  Participant

scot

scots
                    Participant

scot

scots
                      Participant

FYI – you can check my profile. I listed anything major that happened to me in the last year.

scots
                        Participant

FYI – you can check my profile. I listed anything major that happened to me in the last year.

scots
                          Participant

piii
                            Participant

Thanks for the replies. Does the month of high dose get worse before it gets better? I did start to add Advil and it helped a little bit. So I alternate every 4 hours and it did help. Doctors say I can go every 3 hours if needed.

Peter

piii
                              Participant

Peter

scots
                              Participant

Peter,

scot

justlittleoleme
                                Participant

Peter,

sounds like you and my husband have the same treatments in common.

He is stage 3b.  He just finished radiation on 11/1 and is being randomized into the clinical trial of interferon v. ipi tomorrow.  We are thinking he will get the interferon arm so we are preparing for that.

I am sorry to see that you are having side effects.  I am going to be watching to see what helps and what doesn't so we can learn.

Hang tough!

barb

justlittleoleme
                                  Participant

Peter,

He is stage 3b.  He just finished radiation on 11/1 and is being randomized into the clinical trial of interferon v. ipi tomorrow.  We are thinking he will get the interferon arm so we are preparing for that.

I am sorry to see that you are having side effects.  I am going to be watching to see what helps and what doesn't so we can learn.

Hang tough!

barb

justlittleoleme
                                    Participant

Peter,

Hang tough!

barb

awg
                                      Participant

Peter,

I am 6mo into my interferon treatment, scans scheduled on 12/1/11. I had all the symptoms you described on my first high dose infusion as well as with my first injection. I did not have these symptoms again ( during my treatment) until I took a break for the holiday and did not receive a injection for 6 days, needless to say the injection gave me the same symptoms as my initial first injection.

During my high does infusion I received the following daily prior to Interferon..

1000mL saline

25mg Benadryl

IV Zophran

Oral compazine

600mg Advil

I also took in as much water as possible.

I switched from Advil to Aleve and also noticed a difference, my Onc likes Aleve.

I wish you well with your treatment and hope that your symptoms decrease over time.

Allen

awg
                                        Participant

Peter,

I am 6mo into my interferon treatment, scans scheduled on 12/1/11. I had all the symptoms you described on my first high dose infusion as well as with my first injection. I did not have these symptoms again ( during my treatment) until I took a break for the holiday and did not receive a injection for 6 days, needless to say the injection gave me the same symptoms as my initial first injection.

During my high does infusion I received the following daily prior to Interferon..

1000mL saline

25mg Benadryl

IV Zophran

Oral compazine

600mg Advil

I switched from Advil to Aleve and also noticed a difference, my Onc likes Aleve.

I wish you well with your treatment and hope that your symptoms decrease over time.

Allen

awg
                                          Participant

Peter,

1000mL saline

25mg Benadryl

IV Zophran

Oral compazine

600mg Advil

Allen

piii
                                            Participant

Thanks for the info. I did much better last night. The first dose was the worse, I am not getting as sick as they go on. Hope that it the trend for me. its good to share with all of you I do want to say the nurses and Doc's at the cancer center have been great and they are always in a good mood, welcome me with a smile and makes the treatment easier to go through.

Peter

piii
                                              Participant

Thanks for the info. I did much better last night. The first dose was the worse, I am not getting as sick as they go on. Hope that it the trend for me. its good to share with all of you I do want to say the nurses and Doc's at the cancer center have been great and they are always in a good mood, welcome me with a smile and makes the treatment easier to go through.

Peter

piii
                                                Participant

Peter

fdess056
                                                  Participant

Peter, i too had radiation followed by Interferon.  The 1st few days were tough…rigors, fever, muscle aches, etc but it  got much better as time went on.  I was able to drive myself 30 miles each way for the IV treatment. I recommend drinking lots and lots of water.  Saline was also added to my IV along with anti-nausea medication.  I carried a  water bottle wherever I went and sipped from it all day long.  Later on fatigue got to be a problem but since I'm lucky enough to work from home i was able to deal with it.  Everyone responds differently and it can be a difficult treatment but Iit can be tolerated.  Good luck with your treatment

FrankD

fdess056
                                                    Participant

Peter, i too had radiation followed by Interferon.  The 1st few days were tough…rigors, fever, muscle aches, etc but it  got much better as time went on.  I was able to drive myself 30 miles each way for the IV treatment. I recommend drinking lots and lots of water.  Saline was also added to my IV along with anti-nausea medication.  I carried a  water bottle wherever I went and sipped from it all day long.  Later on fatigue got to be a problem but since I'm lucky enough to work from home i was able to deal with it.  Everyone responds differently and it can be a difficult treatment but Iit can be tolerated.  Good luck with your treatment

FrankD

fdess056
                                                      Participant

FrankD

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics