The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Stage of desperation now…update on my Mum

Forums General Melanoma Community Stage of desperation now…update on my Mum

Participant
      Hi all,

Just thought I would provide an update after my Mum’s oncologist appointment today.

All in all, it’s not great. The oncologist would like to keep her CT scans to ensure that the growth didn’t actually occur prior to the radiation, and whether or not the radiation has affected the density of the tumour, although this doesn’t appear to have reduced the tumour on the outside. I think realistically we can take from this however that the tumour has grown and radiation wasn’t successful at all. We are praying to be proven wrong.

Options from here on – although Mum’s biopsy tested negative to c-kit positive gene mutation, the oncologist seems to still be pushing the Gleevac due to the c-kit staining. Dad and I tried to raise some immunology treatments such as Yervoy with him but he was incredibly dismissive of it and recommended Gleevac still. He back pedaled again then by saying that he needs to get access to the drug – he had basically guaranteed us weeks ago that this would be accessible, even if Mum didn’t have the biopsy tested for c-kit positive. Quite po’d at this. He has recommended us to an immunologist to see what his opinion is, but he was very discouraging of this approach due to teh side effects involved with immunology drugs (which I understand).

Dad and I have concluded that he oncologist takes the safe approach….he was disinterested in any experimental treatments, trials and the like. Dad and I will continue our search…we’re going to try another oncologist – our aim is to find someone who is willing to go out of their way to help us find something (be it experimental or not) and be more aggressive with respec t to treatments. We really don’t have any other options.

I suppose then we will consider whether a move to the United States could be considered on the basis of the trials they have going over there….hopefully Dr Hodi will get in touch, even if we could teleconference options or approachs which we could try access through Australia.

Anyway so that’s my update. I’m not sure what to say to Mum at the moment…Dad and I are speechless. I had a good cry when I got back to worka fter the appointment, and trying to move on now as best as I possibly can.

Ashley

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        FormerCaregiver
        Participant

Ashley, I am sorry to read this. Unfortunately, some oncologists like to keep
          recommending old treatments that are most familiar to them. I think that you are very
          correct in concluding the oncologist wants to take the safe approach. Therefore, it is
          time to look elsewhere, and this means that some travel might be involved.

Here is a link to a thread that might be useful:
          http://www.melanoma.org/community/mpip-melanoma-patients-information-page/access-yevoy

Take care

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
          Participant

Ashley, I am sorry to read this. Unfortunately, some oncologists like to keep
            recommending old treatments that are most familiar to them. I think that you are very
            correct in concluding the oncologist wants to take the safe approach. Therefore, it is
            time to look elsewhere, and this means that some travel might be involved.

Here is a link to a thread that might be useful:
            http://www.melanoma.org/community/mpip-melanoma-patients-information-page/access-yevoy

Take care

Frank from Australia

triciad
            Participant

Ashley,

I am sorry to hear this news.  It sound like another opinion is warranted.  Good luck with your search, and please keep us posted.  You all will be in my prayers.

Tricia

triciad
              Participant

Ashley,

I am sorry to hear this news.  It sound like another opinion is warranted.  Good luck with your search, and please keep us posted.  You all will be in my prayers.

Tricia

fgilbert63
                Participant

Ashley, it is very upsetting that oncologists won't seek out the best options.  Drs can are very selfish and $$ motivated, they don't want to lose a patient to another hospital/institution even when they know they can't provide the best treatment for the patient.  Frank

fgilbert63
                  Participant

Ashley, it is very upsetting that oncologists won't seek out the best options.  Drs can are very selfish and $$ motivated, they don't want to lose a patient to another hospital/institution even when they know they can't provide the best treatment for the patient.  Frank

fgilbert63
                    Participant

fgilbert63
                      Participant

fgilbert63
                        Participant

fgilbert63
                          Participant

fgilbert63
                            Participant

fgilbert63
                              Participant

Viewing 11 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics