The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Stage IV update 6-year anniversary

Forums General Melanoma Community Stage IV update 6-year anniversary

Participant

Hi all,

I celebrated six years at stage four and still here this month.  That felt good.  My current update, however, is a mixed bag.  Last December I had gotten completely clean scans.  Prio to that, for about a year, my scans were either improving or clean.  I had been taking Tafinlar/Mekenist as well as infusions of Keytruda.  In January, I stopped taking Taf/Mek to see if maybe I was all clear.  I immediately grew several brain tumors (one quite large) in a short time which was revealed in scans on Feb. 27th.  I immediately restarted Taf/Mek and had surgery for the largest tumor on April 16th.  I had no radiation.  I had fresh brain scans done June 18th.  Those scans were compared against the Febraury 27th scans and showed no tumors.  More recently, I had a body scan (neck, chest, abdomen and pelvis) on July 11th which was clean.  On that same day I alerted my oncologist to a lump on my arm near my armpit which he said was suspicious.  On Monday, July 16th I had it excised.  Just heard today that it was melanoma inside a lymph node.  It wasn't clear to me if it was a tumor or individual tumor cells which would be an important distinction.  But I have well exceeded the average time for Taf/Mek to be effective anyway so time to look for something else.  Any suggestions?  I am thrilled to not have active disease in dangerous locations at the moment.  My oncologist is recommending re-starting Keytruda but it seems clear I was not a responder.  Maybe I was a "partial" responder, but that doesn't quite cut it for long-term.

I hope you all are managing well.  I hope my experience will be useful or informative for someone.

Cheer!

Maggie

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        DZnDef
        Participant

In light of Bubbles' post on steroids, I thought I should add that while I was on Keytruda plus Taf/Mek, I experienced cyclical high fevers for which my oncologist put me on low dose prednisone (10mg) which controlled the fevers.  But while doing all that, I had an outbreak of shingles last December and just overall seemed to have a whimpy immune system (colds, etc.).  After April 16th brain surgery, I was weaned off the steroids entirely (Keytruda was stopped on Feb 27th) and fevers wound down completely even while continuing with Taf/Mek.  My most recent neck scans showed swollen lymph nodes which is a first for me since I started any treatment.  I realize swollen lymph nodes and cancer has traditionally been a bad combo, but with immunotherapy, it also seems to be rather common in people that are responders.  Just thought I'd toss that in there.

Cheers!

Maggie

Edwin
          Participant

You might ask your oncologist about the Yervoy and Opdivo combination.   My melanoma spread to many more bones during the 3 months that I received Keytruda.   I began Yervoy and Opdivo immunotherapy on April 1 2016.  My oncologist told me that if the Yervoy and Opdivo immunotherapy failed, I would probably die within 1 year.  It helped me.  I can run and bicycle now.

DZnDef
              Participant

Thanks, Edwin.  I do plan to ask him about that combo.  I'm glad you are able to be so active.

Cheers!

Maggie

ed williams
              Participant

Hi Maggie, two links for you, in the first link Dr. Davies of MD Anderson at the 7:30 min mark talks about your specific situation. Now the first link was from early 2017 and since then a new targeted therapy combination was approved based on the Columbus trial. Dr. Weber talks about the # from this years ASCO on the new combination in 2nd link. I think a cake would be in order for 6 years!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nBOF6xHzc4       https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/898327

ed williams
                  Participant

One more link with detailed explanation of new targeted therapy combination. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=q5-WylO1O00

VinceMart
                    Participant

Hi Maggie,

I started the new targeted therapy combo(Braftovi/Mektovi)  along with Keytruda a few weeks ago and am tolerating it well so far.  It may be an option for you.  Best wishes!

Vince

DZnDef
                      Participant

My oncologist mentioned those new BRAF drugs but if I've gone to a different mutation, not sure they would do anything,  He was very excited about them las time I saw him, but that was before we found the lymph node with cancer.  Thanks for the suggestion. I'm glad you're tolerating it well.

DZnDef
                        Participant

Ed, you are the master of relevant links.  Thanks for posting these.

Cheers!

Maggie

Polymath
                        Participant

Maggie,

I agree the ipi/nivo combo seems appropriate unless there's a trial your onc thinks is better.  After years of being a non or partial responder I did a year on the combo, and then a big surgery that cleaned house.

I did not think I was responding either, but now 19 months post surgery I am still getting no progression.

So perhaps there is a delayed response, or help when tumor load is minimal and combo is fighting off progression at the micro level.  It's the next logical step.

Best in the battle

DZnDef
                            Participant

Thanks for the suggestion, Gary..  I'm glad to learn you are progression free so far out.  Are you on any tratment at all right now?  Are you allowed to be in the sun?

Cheers

Maggie

Polymath
                              Participant

Hi Maggie,  Everyone has been surprised by this, including my doctors.  My GP told me recently that at one point, he doubted I would be back for my next appoinment.

I have been progression-free, and off all meds since the surgery in December 2016.  

Thought about removing my port, but my specilist says "don't jinx it".

BrianP
                              Participant

Congrats on 6 years Maggie!  That's a great accomplishment.  Seems like some good options Ed and others have offered.  Ipi/Nivo combo treated me pretty good.  Best of luck with your upcoming decisions.

Brian

DZnDef
                                  Participant

Thanks, Brian, I'm happy to be here.  Six years is certainly a lot longer than I was expecting when I first learned about this mess.  Still feeling good and nothing showed up in the danger zones on my recent scans.  Glad to see you're hanging around posting.

Cheers!

Maggie

Edwin
                                  Participant

I did not respond to Keytruda immunotherapy, but Yervoy and Opdivo immunotherapy helped me.   I suggest trying Yervoy and Opdivo immunotherapy.

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics