The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Stage IV survivor checking in…

Forums General Melanoma Community Stage IV survivor checking in…

Participant

Hello-

Been quite a while since I've been on…so nice to see familiar names and so sorry to hear of several fine folks passing from their MM this past year. This rotten disease has claimed too many good lives, but it's heartening to see that so many others are winning the war. 

Hello-

Been quite a while since I've been on…so nice to see familiar names and so sorry to hear of several fine folks passing from their MM this past year. This rotten disease has claimed too many good lives, but it's heartening to see that so many others are winning the war. 

Since Christmas is the season of hope, I wanted to share my testimony of survivorship of stage IV mm for almost 7 years (2/05-diagnosis). It's a kick-in-the-gut that day of diagnosis (and for many days after that too) but it's vital to retain and maintain the belief that anything is possible and you do not have to be a statistic! As my dear late dr. told me, "We can talk numbers all day, but they are only going to be grim and give you very little hope…remember, that they are just numbers and don't necessarily represent your individual case." That was the first whisper of possibility that I heard during those early, dark days, and I will forever be thankful for them.

So for those of you who have just recently joined our ranks and those who continue the fight, may you be blessed with abundant hope throughout the coming year (and beyond!). May you find the strength and courage in the days moments you need them, and the guidance and wisdom to choose the paths of treatment you decide are best for you.

Merry Christmas! Best wishes and many blessings to all!

Karen

Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Replies
        Lisa13
        Participant

Hi Karen,

Thank you so much for posting this wonderful news of hope. I'm so happy for you and send you continued wishes and prayers that you remain NED for many, many more years.

I must admit, once brain mets come into the picture, life gets really scary.  I had 2 gamma knifed 7 weeks ago and have lung mets which have been shrinking after ipi treatment.  Knowing that you are still here 6 years later after 2 brain mets makes me hopeful. I don't believe in statistics because I know anything is possible.  All I can keep my mind focused on is beating this thing and I'm feeling 100% healthy right now.  I hope I'm as strong as you.

Merry Christmas Karen! 

Lisa

Lisa13
          Participant

Hi Karen,

Thank you so much for posting this wonderful news of hope. I'm so happy for you and send you continued wishes and prayers that you remain NED for many, many more years.

I must admit, once brain mets come into the picture, life gets really scary.  I had 2 gamma knifed 7 weeks ago and have lung mets which have been shrinking after ipi treatment.  Knowing that you are still here 6 years later after 2 brain mets makes me hopeful. I don't believe in statistics because I know anything is possible.  All I can keep my mind focused on is beating this thing and I'm feeling 100% healthy right now.  I hope I'm as strong as you.

Merry Christmas Karen! 

Lisa

Lisa13
            Participant

Hi Karen,

Merry Christmas Karen! 

Lisa

benp
              Participant

Thank you for posting this! It is a real confidence booster to hear others with brain mets are having such good results. Keep it up!

Thanks, 

Ben.

benp
                Participant

Thank you for posting this! It is a real confidence booster to hear others with brain mets are having such good results. Keep it up!

Thanks, 

Ben.

benp
                  Participant

Thanks, 

Ben.

Charlie S
                    Participant

Cool !

Thanks for posting.

Cheers,

Charlie S

Charlie S
                      Participant

Cool !

Thanks for posting.

Cheers,

Charlie S

Charlie S
                        Participant

Cool !

Thanks for posting.

Cheers,

Charlie S

hope4cure1
                          Participant

You have the power to insprie.  Thanks so much for doing just that!

Hope

hope4cure1
                            Participant

Hope

hope4cure1
                              Participant

Hope

NYKaren
                                  Participant

Hi Karen,

Thanks for your post; you certainly give me hope and inspiration.

Be well,

the "other Karen."

NYKaren
                                    Participant

Hi Karen,

Be well,

the "other Karen."

NYKaren
                                      Participant

Hi Karen,

Be well,

the "other Karen."

CLPrice31
                                      Participant

I want to thank you for taking time out of your day to post this message. It gives me so much hope and is a fresh of clean air. So many times I end up logging off the internet in a funk after researching melanoma, but when I read stories like yours, I know that we cannot lose hope. Thank you. Merry Christmas and best wishes to YOU!

CLPrice31
                                        Participant

I want to thank you for taking time out of your day to post this message. It gives me so much hope and is a fresh of clean air. So many times I end up logging off the internet in a funk after researching melanoma, but when I read stories like yours, I know that we cannot lose hope. Thank you. Merry Christmas and best wishes to YOU!

CLPrice31
                                          Participant

cldeters
                                            Participant

HI Karen,

Thank you sooooo much for updating us on your good news. I just found out yesterday that I am Stage IV. Wow….this is very scary. My oncologist is making an appointment for me to go to U of M to see if they can help me. It is so good to hear your testimony of survivalship and it gives me great hope! Thanks for sharing.

~Cindy

cldeters
                                              Participant

HI Karen,

Thank you sooooo much for updating us on your good news. I just found out yesterday that I am Stage IV. Wow….this is very scary. My oncologist is making an appointment for me to go to U of M to see if they can help me. It is so good to hear your testimony of survivalship and it gives me great hope! Thanks for sharing.

~Cindy

cldeters
                                                Participant

HI Karen,

~Cindy

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics