The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Stage IV – Scan Results & Treatment Plan

Forums General Melanoma Community Stage IV – Scan Results & Treatment Plan

Participant
      I’m at MD Anderson in Houston and found out yesterday that my melanoma has spread to my liver and lungs, but my brain in clear – so that’s good news. They’re still waiting on lab work to determine my BRAF status.

I was given a handful of treatment options and ultimately decided to sign up for Phase III clinical trial of Opdivo and Bempeg (aka NKTR-214). I had posted yesterday about the doctor signing me up for an abdominal wall biopsy and now know that’s because they were hoping I’d say yes to the trial – the drug company needs a fresh tissue sample. Now it’s a bit of hurry up and wait for approval to start the trial – they’re targeting December 11 or 12 to start treatment if all goes well.

Bubbles – you’ve posted a lot on NKTR-214 and I appreciate all the time you put into that. I’ve read a lot.

I’m hoping I can continue working and living pretty normally during all of this. Thank you all for your support during this journey.

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        kst
        Participant
          You will be in good hands with Dr. Diab and his NP Natalie. I have been under their care for 2.5 years now. Hopefully you will help make another treatment option available for all of us. Thanks..
          Susanne
            jennifer83
            Participant
              Thanks for replying, Susanne! I feel that Dr. Diab has a very very kind soul. I’m feel very confident with him as my doctor. What treatments have you been undergoing? Are you local to Houston? We just moved here a few months ago.
              kst
              Participant
                I am about 3.5 hours away near Tyler. The travel is a minor inconvenience for me.
                After resection surgeries and radiation I received Nivo from 10/17 to 03/18 until I had severe IRAE’s from the treatment. Treatment was stopped at that point. Everything clean since.
                Susanne
              Bubbles
              Participant
                Sorry for the scan results demonstrating mets to your liver and lungs and all that you are facing, Jennifer. Still, having a treatment plan (and I think yours is a good one) is a huge battle already won! I am glad that the NKTR-214 posts have been of help to you. Is your trial the one in which patients are randomized to either the combo or Opdivo as a single agent? If so, I hope you get the combo as those results are impressive. However, I think you still have a good prognosis should you end up on nivo alone. There are many of us who attained a good result with that treatment as well. Hang tough. Clinical trials are their own special sauce. But, ratties absolutely ROCK!!! Keep us posted. Yours, celeste
                  jennifer83
                  Participant
                    Thank you, Celeste! I love your Blog and your entire style/attitude. I am going to be a part of the Phase III trial (746 patients) where 50/50 randomized on Opdivo alone or Opdiovo + Bempeg (NKTR 214). I’m really hoping I get to do the the combo! My first infusion is scheduled for Dec 12. Either way, trying to keep positive. I still feel relatively well at this point, so I’m thankful for that! I had a biopsy for fresh tissue for the drug company last Friday and am a bit sore and bruised up from that. Really can’t complain, otherwise. Keeping positive.

We just moved to the Houston area recently and finally got the keys to our new house last night. Going through this cancer thing is a lot easier when there’s some positive stuff going on, as well! Can’t wait to get home to my family and our new house today!

Many thanks and love to all who are following. I’ll keep you updated.

DoubleTT
                  Participant
                    Hello Jennifer
                    Big hugs
                    Kinda cool either way you are getting Opdivo. That’s fantastic! Are you Braf or Nras??? I ask as I was 3c ( I had no lymph nodes but mega satellites) then got an oglio met to my t12 vertebrae. But here in Canada they get you on adjuvant drugs like Opdivi right after surgery or stereostatic radiation therapy surgery! They blew my met up. I am Nras so really am interested in the trial you are doing and am cheering for you….you could quite possibly be helping me for my next challenge. So thank you Jennifer. You will do great. I hope you can re adjust your lifestyle to take are of you ! Hugs and cheers rm Toronto Canada tt Tracey
                      jennifer83
                      Participant
                        Thanks for your reply! I’m still waiting to find if I’m BRAF pos/neg. I should know soon. I’ll keep you posted! Hope you’re feeling well…
                  Viewing 2 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics