The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Stage IV Lumps – Bruising

Forums General Melanoma Community Stage IV Lumps – Bruising

Participant
      Hello all,

I posted a few weeks ago after my diagnosis of stage IV metastatic melanoma. I am so appreciative of everyone’s support and kind words. I was diagnosed October 29th, but was not able to get an initial appointment at MD Anderson until 11/14 – the waiting has been grueling. I have been finding more lumps on my body as the days march on.. a total of eight lumps that I have discovered so far: neck, scalp, middle of back, middle of stomach, left front hip, left back hip, groin, mid inner thigh. Today I woke up and felt in the shower that the one in my groin seemed significantly larger to the feel, and when I looked, it was terribly bruised and tender. Deep purple/blue/black bruise spanning a few inches. I have no one at MD Anderson to talk to about this as of yet, and we wondering if anyone has experienced anything like it? Many thanks.

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        gopher38
        Participant
          I have no first-hand knowledge in this case, but I don’t think that mets are usually accompanied by bruising, but I’d imagine that it’s possible. Doesn’t seem to be a lot of certainties regarding melanoma. Luckily, you’ll be talking to more knowledgeable people in a few short hours.
          MichelleRHG
          Participant
            I don’t know about lumps and bumps but I do understand that waiting is terrible. It’s sometimes unbearable. In my case, once a plan is in place I settle down. Hopefully that will help you after you meet with the melanoma docs! They will have a plan!
            sister of patient
            Participant
              Hi Jennifer – I’m so sorry that you and your family are going through all that you’re enduring right now!! To answer your specific question about the bruising – Yes! My sister, Leisa, had many “lumps and bumps” and quite a few of them bruised as they made themselves “known” – they were all colours >> blue, green, purple. I know it’s way easier said than done but try not to dwell on them if you can, nor count them!! Once you’re receiving treatment, then have a look and you’ll, hopefully, be watching them “melt” away!!! Wishing you the very best!!!

Barb

jennifer83
                Participant
                  Thanks for your response! I didn’t see much about it online – which I should be staying away from, anyway! This forum is a wonderful sounding board. Looking forward to Thursday’s appointment!
                Nympha
                Participant
                  Hello Jennifer. My dad was absolutely covered by them on his stomach. Immunotherapy didn’t work but braf/mek combo helped and melted them all. He had maybe hundred of them all sizes (1mm up to tenis ball) purple colored.
                  Nympha
                  Participant
                    One friend had only one bump. Keytruda works for him. He is absolutely stable right now without any tumors, or mets. (age 54)

Take care.
                    Veronika

Indymom
                    Participant
                      Jennifer-very sorry you are dealing with this. Yes, bruising & lumps are certainly related to melanoma. This is exactly what my son experienced 22 months after clear labs from WLE and 5 lymph nodes removed. One bruised ‘lump’ was extracted and biopsied, which came back positive for melanoma & put him at stage IV in 2014. These lumps were referred to as subcutaneous tumors. Glad you are seeking treatment at MD Anderson. Be prepared for a brain MRI in the near future to rule out brain mets. There are treatments that will melt away these tumors. You are definitely at the right site for experienced melanoma survivors. In my opinion the more you educate yourself about melanoma and become an advocate for your own health the better. Hang tough, it’s a rough battle, but there are many, many, many people walking around today with no evidence of the disease after a Stage IV diagnosis many years ago.
                  Viewing 5 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics