The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Stage IV brain mets. Info and positive stories needed

Forums General Melanoma Community Stage IV brain mets. Info and positive stories needed

Participant
      Hi MPIP people,

I used to spend a lot of time here ( started trying to have a baby and it was easier to get some mel distance) but had hoped to return later this month to announce 10 years NED (which still might happen if my insurance company stops trying to dodge the scan fee and it goes ahead). Instead, I’m back looking for information on post-surgery options for a good friend and colleague who this week progressed to stage IV with 3 brain mets. He had a large primary (not sure of breslow) removed from his scalp and bilateral neck dissections for micro mets 2 years ago. GM-CSF since. Just this week, 3 small brain mets detected after sudden nausea and pain. No visceral mets according to the PET so they will resect 2 of the mets and do SRS (I believe) on the 3rd.

I’m so out of the loop on adjuvant treatments for stage IV Mel (which I promised myself I would never do….even after 10 years I am not complacent since my own stage III met came 9 years after my primary) so any advice you have on post-surgery options would be very welcome. Any positive outcome stories would also be very welcome I’m sure, to give him some all-important hope…..

Sorry to “take” when I haven’t been “giving” on this board much of late………

AlisonC
      NED since 2001

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        shellebrownies
        Participant

Post surgery options may be relatively limited as most trials require at least one measurable tumor as inclusion criteria and your friend will hopefully be considered NED after the treatments.

However, if they are literally removing tumors (craniotomy), then they would have a sample that could be tested for the BRAF mutation, which would then make him eligible for Zelboraf. However, I don't know if that works well with blood/brain barrier. 

Yervoy might be another and perhaps better option, as it is an immune system booster and could have whole body effectiveness. And if he is NED when he starts the Yervoy, he should have time to allow the drug to work. 

Hopefully, this helps you and your friend! Best of luck to you both.

Michelle, wife of Don

shellebrownies
          Participant

Post surgery options may be relatively limited as most trials require at least one measurable tumor as inclusion criteria and your friend will hopefully be considered NED after the treatments.

However, if they are literally removing tumors (craniotomy), then they would have a sample that could be tested for the BRAF mutation, which would then make him eligible for Zelboraf. However, I don't know if that works well with blood/brain barrier. 

Yervoy might be another and perhaps better option, as it is an immune system booster and could have whole body effectiveness. And if he is NED when he starts the Yervoy, he should have time to allow the drug to work. 

Michelle, wife of Don

shellebrownies
            Participant

Michelle, wife of Don

mombase
              Participant

Hi, Alison,

I had two brain tumors at different times. The first one was large (3cm) and by my brain stem. It turned out not to be melanoma and was a meningioma. The second tumor removed was melanoma. My onc surgeon and radiation surgeon practically begged me to do whole brain radiation. I did not want to do WBR if I did not have to. I am glad that I didn't. Three months later my scan showed a clear brain and I started Yervoy.

I SO much think this is such a personal decision based on the person's history and speed of growth of other tumors. The SRS and resection sounds great…can Yervoy be the next step??

BTW, I think you are giving even when you are posting a question!!  yes

Cristy, Stage IV

azurliene
                  Participant

Hi Cristy,

I am new to all of this (but so thankful for this forum as I know I will be needing/using it) – why no WBR if you don't have to? I'm so confused i thought that was the only way to make sure you get any micro melanoma cells hanging out in the brain?

Also, would you do a 2nd craniotomy again vs gamma knifeif you would have the option? We can't decide which route with my dad – he has a 3cm…they haven't talked to us about stages – I am trying to research as much as possible but am on info overload a little right now andgetting confused…

can Yervoy be used instead of WBR in some cases?

Sorry for all of the questions – I wrote a post a little bit ago, but no one has responded yet…just stressed and scared

Aften 

mombase
                    Participant

Hi Aften! I was told in the beginning that many board members are out and about on the weekends, so you might get more responses starting Monday. I'm sorry you have to be going through this all! I was so overwhelmed in the beginning, however, the more information I have taken in, the more confident I have become in my decisions. I am not sure they are the best decisions for your dad, but they are for me. I definitely believe that you make the best decision with the information that you have, and don't look back!

The reason that I had surgery on this most recent tumor was because the oncs were not sure if it was melanoma and they wanted the path report. My first brain tumor was not melanoma. Pathology was also able to do genetic testing on the tumor and determine that I was B-RAF positive (v600e), which opens up another treatment option. I did not do WBR because the risks go up with age and I was just willing to take the chance. WBR can only be administered once and I thought it might be wise to use it when I really need it.  The radiation onc was onboard with this once I brought it up.

Yervoy was first treatment option because as of the present, my lung and liver tumors have not gotten larger in the last three months. Yervoy is a slower acting drug which does indeed cross the blood brain barrier, so it did seem like the best plan of action for my case.

Since your dad already had one melanoma in his brain, SRS followed by Yervoy might be a good plan.  But make sure if the first tumor was not tested for gnenetic mutations that it is (if it is still available for testing). If not, that might be a reason to have this one surgically removed.

Always  feel free to ask ANY and ALL questions!!  There are so many folks on this board with incredible experience and desire to help others. You have come to the right place!

Cristy, Stage IV

azurliene
                      Participant

Cristy,

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply and for the info – I am already finding this forum is my outlet…I get consumed by reading the stories info and profiles, but I am so thankful to have the outlet for additional support and to lern of more current information and options. The general web and statistics were eating me alive – so refreshing to read some positive …and hopeful stories…

Thanks again 

mombase
                        Participant

You are very welcome. Make sure you take time to just relax and forget about melanoma (I know, it's WAY easier said than done!)

Cristy

mombase
                          Participant

You are very welcome. Make sure you take time to just relax and forget about melanoma (I know, it's WAY easier said than done!)

Cristy

mombase
                            Participant

Cristy

azurliene
                              Participant

Cristy,

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply and for the info – I am already finding this forum is my outlet…I get consumed by reading the stories info and profiles, but I am so thankful to have the outlet for additional support and to lern of more current information and options. The general web and statistics were eating me alive – so refreshing to read some positive …and hopeful stories…

Thanks again 

azurliene
                                Participant

Cristy,

Thanks again 

mombase
                                  Participant

Hi Aften! I was told in the beginning that many board members are out and about on the weekends, so you might get more responses starting Monday. I'm sorry you have to be going through this all! I was so overwhelmed in the beginning, however, the more information I have taken in, the more confident I have become in my decisions. I am not sure they are the best decisions for your dad, but they are for me. I definitely believe that you make the best decision with the information that you have, and don't look back!

The reason that I had surgery on this most recent tumor was because the oncs were not sure if it was melanoma and they wanted the path report. My first brain tumor was not melanoma. Pathology was also able to do genetic testing on the tumor and determine that I was B-RAF positive (v600e), which opens up another treatment option. I did not do WBR because the risks go up with age and I was just willing to take the chance. WBR can only be administered once and I thought it might be wise to use it when I really need it.  The radiation onc was onboard with this once I brought it up.

Yervoy was first treatment option because as of the present, my lung and liver tumors have not gotten larger in the last three months. Yervoy is a slower acting drug which does indeed cross the blood brain barrier, so it did seem like the best plan of action for my case.

Since your dad already had one melanoma in his brain, SRS followed by Yervoy might be a good plan.  But make sure if the first tumor was not tested for gnenetic mutations that it is (if it is still available for testing). If not, that might be a reason to have this one surgically removed.

Always  feel free to ask ANY and ALL questions!!  There are so many folks on this board with incredible experience and desire to help others. You have come to the right place!

Cristy, Stage IV

mombase
                                    Participant

Cristy, Stage IV

azurliene
                                      Participant

Hi Cristy,

I am new to all of this (but so thankful for this forum as I know I will be needing/using it) – why no WBR if you don't have to? I'm so confused i thought that was the only way to make sure you get any micro melanoma cells hanging out in the brain?

Also, would you do a 2nd craniotomy again vs gamma knifeif you would have the option? We can't decide which route with my dad – he has a 3cm…they haven't talked to us about stages – I am trying to research as much as possible but am on info overload a little right now andgetting confused…

Sorry for all of the questions – I wrote a post a little bit ago, but no one has responded yet…just stressed and scared

Aften 

azurliene
                                        Participant

Hi Cristy,

Aften 

mombase
                                        Participant

Hi, Alison,

I had two brain tumors at different times. The first one was large (3cm) and by my brain stem. It turned out not to be melanoma and was a meningioma. The second tumor removed was melanoma. My onc surgeon and radiation surgeon practically begged me to do whole brain radiation. I did not want to do WBR if I did not have to. I am glad that I didn't. Three months later my scan showed a clear brain and I started Yervoy.

I SO much think this is such a personal decision based on the person's history and speed of growth of other tumors. The SRS and resection sounds great…can Yervoy be the next step??

Cristy, Stage IV

mombase
                                          Participant

Hi, Alison,

Cristy, Stage IV

lhaley
                                            Participant

I'm also dealing with a brain met.   One large 21mm and as of last mri it was showing bleeding about 1 cm.   The SRS was done on Monday and am currently weaning from the steroids.  The reason the crainectomy is waiting for a few weeks because it's so deep and they are trying to prevent permanent damage in the speech/language area.   If I am stable in a few weeks they will give a little longer waiting for a response.

We each present so differently that each case is dealt with differently.  On Tuesday we met with my mel specialist and just opened the discussion systemically.  I am b-raf positive.  He gave me the numbers with Temador and also discussed the limited info that has come out in trials is brain mets with Yervoy and b-raf.   The rest of my PET is still clear!   Right now options were discussed and the first thought is to deal with the met right now. 

I was told that if I respond to the SRS and only dealing with the met (lots of ifs) the numbers come out about 80%.  He told me that a crainectomy is acutally 90%.  Of course once that met is eliminated then who knows what happens later.  Right now I'm dealing with one thing, not worrying about adjunct right now. 

Make sure that your friend has a team that they trust.  I have found that they have repeated the exact coversation several times with us.  Right now we are just not hearing all facts and they are making sure that they will repeat as often as needed.  Somebody seems to be calling me everyday and checking on me.  I never thought I would be getting such personal care.  It helps knowing  someone is there to help. We travel a little over 2 hours each way.

On this board we seem to go through a group of those with us.  I hope your friend has a successful procedure. 

Linda

killmel
                                                Participant

Linda, I am amzed how calm you are & so matter of fact with what you are going through. If it was me,I would be a basket case! Good luck to you.

lhaley
                                                  Participant

I have my moments.  Have to admit I haven't been on the board as often as usual.  I just have to believe……   and my husband is being the total basketcase for me.  

Right now watching my Clemson football game,  sewing, sewing, sewing,  have my grandbaby here, and dealing with a lot of denial!  The last few days I've gotten a sense of calm.  Have to tell you that in the past I've handled worse when I had other recurrances.  The worse for me is the instant life changing that I've felt. 

Linda

lhaley
                                                    Participant

I have my moments.  Have to admit I haven't been on the board as often as usual.  I just have to believe……   and my husband is being the total basketcase for me.  

Right now watching my Clemson football game,  sewing, sewing, sewing,  have my grandbaby here, and dealing with a lot of denial!  The last few days I've gotten a sense of calm.  Have to tell you that in the past I've handled worse when I had other recurrances.  The worse for me is the instant life changing that I've felt. 

Linda

jag
                                                      Participant
                                                        Linda, denial can be a very good thing, I used that (and lots of prayers to make it through nearly everything.
                                                        jag
                                                        Participant
                                                          Linda, denial can be a very good thing, I used that (and lots of prayers to make it through nearly everything.
                                                          jag
                                                          Participant
                                                            lhaley
                                                            Participant

Linda

killmel
                                                              Participant

Linda, I am amzed how calm you are & so matter of fact with what you are going through. If it was me,I would be a basket case! Good luck to you.

killmel
                                                                Participant

lhaley
                                                                Participant

I'm also dealing with a brain met.   One large 21mm and as of last mri it was showing bleeding about 1 cm.   The SRS was done on Monday and am currently weaning from the steroids.  The reason the crainectomy is waiting for a few weeks because it's so deep and they are trying to prevent permanent damage in the speech/language area.   If I am stable in a few weeks they will give a little longer waiting for a response.

We each present so differently that each case is dealt with differently.  On Tuesday we met with my mel specialist and just opened the discussion systemically.  I am b-raf positive.  He gave me the numbers with Temador and also discussed the limited info that has come out in trials is brain mets with Yervoy and b-raf.   The rest of my PET is still clear!   Right now options were discussed and the first thought is to deal with the met right now. 

I was told that if I respond to the SRS and only dealing with the met (lots of ifs) the numbers come out about 80%.  He told me that a crainectomy is acutally 90%.  Of course once that met is eliminated then who knows what happens later.  Right now I'm dealing with one thing, not worrying about adjunct right now. 

Make sure that your friend has a team that they trust.  I have found that they have repeated the exact coversation several times with us.  Right now we are just not hearing all facts and they are making sure that they will repeat as often as needed.  Somebody seems to be calling me everyday and checking on me.  I never thought I would be getting such personal care.  It helps knowing  someone is there to help. We travel a little over 2 hours each way.

On this board we seem to go through a group of those with us.  I hope your friend has a successful procedure. 

Linda

lhaley
                                                                  Participant

Linda

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics