The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Stage IV BRAF melanoma/ anyone have info?

Forums General Melanoma Community Stage IV BRAF melanoma/ anyone have info?

Participant

My husband was diagnosed last month with stage IV BRAF melenoma. No primay site found, but it is in his duodenum and may have some spots on the mesentery of the small bowel.  He had one lymph node removed from  under his left arm that was also BRAF melanoma.  He has just started on his chemo meds. He is taking Tafinlar + Mekinist.  3 days in he is doing well with it and so far has a wonderful appetite.  Any one with any information or experiences with these two drugs?

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        Issy
        Participant

Yes, my brother has been on this combination two times. The first time he was on the trial and had a wonderful 16 month successful run. Because there was some growth they had to take him off because of the trial protocol. He then had immunotherapy that slowed things down a bit but then needed another treatment. He was off the taf & mek combo for one year so we tried it again and now he is doing great for one year and praying many more. So yes this is a GREAT MIRACLE combo. It can have some side effects but my brother had a few the first time around and none this time.  IMPORTANT please make sure he follows directions on how to take them. My brother stops eating at 9:00, takes his pills at 11:00 and then eats at 12:00.  Also he has been told NO grapefruit, pomegranate or ginsing. This drug works for alot of folks so I am praying for huge success for your husband. Keep us posted.

mrsriddle
            Participant

That is so encouraging!!  Thank you so much for sharing.  This is so hard, and all of the websites just give us statistics that just bring us down.  We need this kind of news to get us through, from real people with this cancer.  Prayers to your brother to keep going strong! ๐Ÿ™‚

mrsriddle
              Participant

That is so encouraging!!  Thank you so much for sharing.  This is so hard, and all of the websites just give us statistics that just bring us down.  We need this kind of news to get us through, from real people with this cancer.  Prayers to your brother to keep going strong! ๐Ÿ™‚

mrsriddle
                Participant

Issy
                Participant

Yes, my brother has been on this combination two times. The first time he was on the trial and had a wonderful 16 month successful run. Because there was some growth they had to take him off because of the trial protocol. He then had immunotherapy that slowed things down a bit but then needed another treatment. He was off the taf & mek combo for one year so we tried it again and now he is doing great for one year and praying many more. So yes this is a GREAT MIRACLE combo. It can have some side effects but my brother had a few the first time around and none this time.  IMPORTANT please make sure he follows directions on how to take them. My brother stops eating at 9:00, takes his pills at 11:00 and then eats at 12:00.  Also he has been told NO grapefruit, pomegranate or ginsing. This drug works for alot of folks so I am praying for huge success for your husband. Keep us posted.

Issy
                  Participant

arthurjedi007
                    Participant

I was on those for about 10 weeks. Main side affect was fevers of about 103 every day. Other than that in week 8 I had 3 days of massive chills shakes fever of 105 throwing up a little. Other than that the meds were fine for me. They kept most everything from growing but nothing shrank. Couple tumors grew like crazy and a new one showed up. I got on pd1 after that.

Artie

mrsriddle
                        Participant

My husband has been on this combo for a week now with no side effects thus far.  I hope it will make a difference. He doesn't have another scan until August.  I will post when we have results.  Good luck and prayers for you.  Hope pd1 works for you.

mrsriddle
                          Participant

My husband has been on this combo for a week now with no side effects thus far.  I hope it will make a difference. He doesn't have another scan until August.  I will post when we have results.  Good luck and prayers for you.  Hope pd1 works for you.

Rita and Charles
                            Participant

Don't forget to share how your husband is doing, I think that Charles is just about a month behind him…..he has been pretty sick the last few days….really nausous, joint pain, so tired…..about 8 days or so in.  Is your husband doing good still?  We see the oncologist next week for the first 2 week pulse check – I am hoping that Charles is like your husband and will sail smoothly.

mrsriddle
                              Participant

Hi Rita and Charles!  My husband has been doing great on the combo!  No side effects noted at all. He was doing so good on it we forgot he had cancer at all ๐Ÿ™‚  However, we need to be more aware that he IS on chemo and that his immune system is compromised. This past week he was hospitalized for pneumonia in both lungs. After a week of heavy antibiotics pouring in by IV, we are home and he is very well.  The Dr. took him off of his combo for a week to heal and he goes in Monday for another apt. He should have his first  post combo scan in September.  His liver enzymes are elevated a bit, but they are thinking it is due to all of the antibiotics.  Other than that he is doing great!  The only fevers he has had were due to the pneumonia.  I will keep you posted.  How is all going your way?

mrsriddle
                                Participant

Hi Rita and Charles!  My husband has been doing great on the combo!  No side effects noted at all. He was doing so good on it we forgot he had cancer at all ๐Ÿ™‚  However, we need to be more aware that he IS on chemo and that his immune system is compromised. This past week he was hospitalized for pneumonia in both lungs. After a week of heavy antibiotics pouring in by IV, we are home and he is very well.  The Dr. took him off of his combo for a week to heal and he goes in Monday for another apt. He should have his first  post combo scan in September.  His liver enzymes are elevated a bit, but they are thinking it is due to all of the antibiotics.  Other than that he is doing great!  The only fevers he has had were due to the pneumonia.  I will keep you posted.  How is all going your way?

mrsriddle
                                  Participant

Rita and Charles
                                    Participant

Don't forget to share how your husband is doing, I think that Charles is just about a month behind him…..he has been pretty sick the last few days….really nausous, joint pain, so tired…..about 8 days or so in.  Is your husband doing good still?  We see the oncologist next week for the first 2 week pulse check – I am hoping that Charles is like your husband and will sail smoothly.

Rita and Charles
                                      Participant

mrsriddle
                                        Participant

arthurjedi007
                                        Participant

I was on those for about 10 weeks. Main side affect was fevers of about 103 every day. Other than that in week 8 I had 3 days of massive chills shakes fever of 105 throwing up a little. Other than that the meds were fine for me. They kept most everything from growing but nothing shrank. Couple tumors grew like crazy and a new one showed up. I got on pd1 after that.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                                          Participant

Artie

Banders
                                            Participant

Hello:

I was diagnosed stage 4 mid September 2014.  Did the 4 rounds of Yervoy and it sopped things for a while, but by early January of this year I was having increasing pain and spitting up blood.  Up to that point I had been going to my regional cancer center in central Illinois, but I went and saw Dr. Gajweski (sp) at the University of Chicago.  He said this combo would be the standard treatment for where I was at.  I remember being surprised when he said I would probably feel the effects very quickly.

He was right.  Within 3 days I stopped spitting up blood and the pain went down.  I've been on the combo now for almost 3 months without any side effects.  I've been doing regular MUGA heat scans and so far those have been good.  I have a PET scan in two days, my first since starting these drugs, and I'm really interested/excited to see the results.

Banders
                                              Participant

Hello:

I was diagnosed stage 4 mid September 2014.  Did the 4 rounds of Yervoy and it sopped things for a while, but by early January of this year I was having increasing pain and spitting up blood.  Up to that point I had been going to my regional cancer center in central Illinois, but I went and saw Dr. Gajweski (sp) at the University of Chicago.  He said this combo would be the standard treatment for where I was at.  I remember being surprised when he said I would probably feel the effects very quickly.

He was right.  Within 3 days I stopped spitting up blood and the pain went down.  I've been on the combo now for almost 3 months without any side effects.  I've been doing regular MUGA heat scans and so far those have been good.  I have a PET scan in two days, my first since starting these drugs, and I'm really interested/excited to see the results.

Banders
                                                Participant

Hello:

mrsriddle
                                                    Participant

Thank you for sharing.  My husband has been on this combo for a week now with no side effects so far.  He has never had any pain with this and no other symptoms besides iron deficiency anemia.  I am praying for good results.  I know we will fight this forever, but I am so thankful for the time we have and each new day is a blessing.  Good luck and prayers for you!

mrsriddle
                                                      Participant

Thank you for sharing.  My husband has been on this combo for a week now with no side effects so far.  He has never had any pain with this and no other symptoms besides iron deficiency anemia.  I am praying for good results.  I know we will fight this forever, but I am so thankful for the time we have and each new day is a blessing.  Good luck and prayers for you!

mrsriddle
                                                        Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics