The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

stage IV and Social Security is cutting me off…

Forums General Melanoma Community stage IV and Social Security is cutting me off…

Participant

I have been on Social Security since 2007. My re-evaluation came up a few months ago. I have been working again(part time) for the last year and still recieving disability, medicare and medicaid. I just recieved notice my benefits will cease. Anyone run into this? I was under the understanding that stage IV is considered a condition that makes one eligible- even if one has been NED for an amount of time. I have no insurance and need my medicare to have check ups and scans. Any advice for appeal process? Thanks

I have been on Social Security since 2007. My re-evaluation came up a few months ago. I have been working again(part time) for the last year and still recieving disability, medicare and medicaid. I just recieved notice my benefits will cease. Anyone run into this? I was under the understanding that stage IV is considered a condition that makes one eligible- even if one has been NED for an amount of time. I have no insurance and need my medicare to have check ups and scans. Any advice for appeal process? Thanks

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        Sherron
        Participant

I just read that you have to make $900.00 or less.

NancyGM
            Participant

I am earning under the amount I am allowed to gross per month. I was determined to be no longer disabled because  they detemined my "health has improved since we last reviewed your case."

NancyGM
              Participant

I am earning under the amount I am allowed to gross per month. I was determined to be no longer disabled because  they detemined my "health has improved since we last reviewed your case."

Sherron
              Participant

I just read that you have to make $900.00 or less.

washoegal
                Participant

How old are you?  That make a difference.

NancyGM
                    Participant

I am 45. My Notice of Disability Cessation states: "Because of improvement in your condition you are now able to perform work activity." When I returned to work I was under the impression that metastatic melanoma eligibility for disability was not detrmined by one's ability to work.

Vermont_Donna
                      Participant

Hi, I am stage 3a and was determined eligible for SSDI for a 7 year eligibility period, during which time if I earned less than whatever amount at that particular time (I think it has increased a little each year) then I would get payments. If I went back to work and earned more than that amount I went off SSDI but could get back on anytime if I stopped work or I earned less than the amount. At seven years I was told I would be going through a disability review. I have been able to keep my medicare even when working full time and making more than the allowed amount to stay on SSDI…SS told me that would continue for two years if I was still making more that the $1000 a month I think it is now. I pay $96.50 a month in premiums. So thats what SS here in VT has told me and so far it has all been working out just fine!!!! good luck to you….and appeal everything!!!! I had help from my Voc Rehab office too, as I signed up for that when I was doing the Ticket to Work program….hopefully you know about that right??

Vermont_Donna, stage 3a

Vermont_Donna
                        Participant

Hi, I am stage 3a and was determined eligible for SSDI for a 7 year eligibility period, during which time if I earned less than whatever amount at that particular time (I think it has increased a little each year) then I would get payments. If I went back to work and earned more than that amount I went off SSDI but could get back on anytime if I stopped work or I earned less than the amount. At seven years I was told I would be going through a disability review. I have been able to keep my medicare even when working full time and making more than the allowed amount to stay on SSDI…SS told me that would continue for two years if I was still making more that the $1000 a month I think it is now. I pay $96.50 a month in premiums. So thats what SS here in VT has told me and so far it has all been working out just fine!!!! good luck to you….and appeal everything!!!! I had help from my Voc Rehab office too, as I signed up for that when I was doing the Ticket to Work program….hopefully you know about that right??

Vermont_Donna, stage 3a

NancyGM
                          Participant

I am 45. My Notice of Disability Cessation states: "Because of improvement in your condition you are now able to perform work activity." When I returned to work I was under the impression that metastatic melanoma eligibility for disability was not detrmined by one's ability to work.

washoegal
                          Participant

How old are you?  That make a difference.

Viewing 3 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics