The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Stage IIIB

Forums General Melanoma Community Stage IIIB

Participant

Hi–

Hi–

I was diagnosed with Stage IIIB melanoma (Sept 2011) when a freckle I had removed from my nose (Jan, 2011–melanoma) had spread to a lymph node under my chin (the sential node biopsy didn't work). My PET scan came back negative. I had the lymph node with the tumor removed along with 30 other lymph nodes on one side of my neck (Oct 14). The tumor was encapsillated and no other melanoma was found in any of the other lymph nodes. I was asked to be a part of the clinical trial (ippy/interferon). With only a 7% chance of it helping and the fact my tumor was encapsillated (no breakage around it), I am hoping this could be the end of it. My local oncologist along with my surgeon understand my not taking part in the trial. I'm going on the 50% positive side that the melanoma could be cured at this point. I will continue seeing my dermotologist & cancer surgeon every three months, my oncologist at Mass General every 6 months and my local oncologist every 4 months. I have been taking a tablespoon of lemon everyday, vitamin D, exercise regularly, eating the super foods and lowering my alcohol intake. I'm hoping this will work. Has anyone out there had Stage III melanoma for years with no spreading? I'm hoping I'm doing the right thing. Any info would be appreciated.

Kelly

Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Replies
        EmilyandMike
        Participant

Hi Kelly – so did you get the Interferon arm of the trial and decide to drop out?  I am assuming the 7% figure is for interferon since we dont really know how Yervoy will work on NED Stage 3 patients yet.  The options are frustrating at Stage 3 NED. 

We try and stay healthy but we also try and enjoy ourselves.  I have seen some very healthy Stage 3 patients progress and other not so healthy people do well – you just never know.  There are a number of people on the board who have chosen observation and been NED for 10 years – BUT the same goes for those who have done interferon.  It all comes down to what you want for YOU.  My husband chose observation and has been clear at Stage 3a for 2+ years. 

PS – Have you heard of taking Aspirin for melanoma prevention?  http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43468687/ns/health-cancer/

Take care!

Emily

EmilyandMike
          Participant

Hi Kelly – so did you get the Interferon arm of the trial and decide to drop out?  I am assuming the 7% figure is for interferon since we dont really know how Yervoy will work on NED Stage 3 patients yet.  The options are frustrating at Stage 3 NED. 

We try and stay healthy but we also try and enjoy ourselves.  I have seen some very healthy Stage 3 patients progress and other not so healthy people do well – you just never know.  There are a number of people on the board who have chosen observation and been NED for 10 years – BUT the same goes for those who have done interferon.  It all comes down to what you want for YOU.  My husband chose observation and has been clear at Stage 3a for 2+ years. 

PS – Have you heard of taking Aspirin for melanoma prevention?  http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43468687/ns/health-cancer/

Take care!

Emily

kjkaralekas
              Participant

Hi Emily:

I decided against the trial because I really didn't want the interferon (there are many drs in our area who really don't believe in it) and with the 50% chance of getting it just didn't seem worth it to me. If I was Stage IV at this point, there wouldn't have been a question because there's no cure for this horrible disease so you do everything you can. But my "posse" (my husband & my sister who is an acupunturist) and I really decided that we might end up doing better with observation. Stage III is a tough one because there's the 50% chance it was taken care if with surgery but I do have to live with that decision if it does spread.

I haven't heard of the aspirin, just the lemon. Does your husband do the aspirin? I will talk with my oncologist about it. Thanks for the suggestions.

Today is the first time I've ever looked on the net for support since I was diagnosed. I've really stayed away from it and have let my sisters search for the info. Think it would've been too overwhelming. As it is, just reading some of the stories is just really scary. But I'm glad I did because I really need to talk with other people who are going through what I'm going through. I think it will really help.

Kelly

kjkaralekas
                Participant

Hi Emily:

I decided against the trial because I really didn't want the interferon (there are many drs in our area who really don't believe in it) and with the 50% chance of getting it just didn't seem worth it to me. If I was Stage IV at this point, there wouldn't have been a question because there's no cure for this horrible disease so you do everything you can. But my "posse" (my husband & my sister who is an acupunturist) and I really decided that we might end up doing better with observation. Stage III is a tough one because there's the 50% chance it was taken care if with surgery but I do have to live with that decision if it does spread.

I haven't heard of the aspirin, just the lemon. Does your husband do the aspirin? I will talk with my oncologist about it. Thanks for the suggestions.

Today is the first time I've ever looked on the net for support since I was diagnosed. I've really stayed away from it and have let my sisters search for the info. Think it would've been too overwhelming. As it is, just reading some of the stories is just really scary. But I'm glad I did because I really need to talk with other people who are going through what I'm going through. I think it will really help.

Kelly

kjkaralekas
                  Participant

Hi Emily:

Kelly

EmilyandMike
                  Participant

Take care!

Emily

Charlie S
                    Participant

Hello Kelly,

Your question, although seemingly simple at first blush is very complex:; so bear with me in a conversation with you.

For clarification only……………….you had the primary melanoma removed and one node that had micro-mets , and the node with the micro mets was discovered not thru the SNB but thru prophylactic lymph node dissection…..that is to say your surgeon, as a precaution with a negative SNB did a elective lymph node dissection, and following that, the pathology revealed the metastasis in a node removed?

Though a nuance, how that infected node came to be discovered is important.

Now, beyond that, regardless of how disordered , it ,could mean that the lymph node did it's job and put melanoma in a box and your body is done with it.  Or, it could mean that beyond the "we got it all" concept of surgery; by the very nature of metastasis for Stage III, melanoma has entered, your body on a microscopic/molecular level ………….ONE cell on the scalpel, ONE cell in the bloodstream and melanoma is still there.

This is not meant to scare you, but educate you…………….the largest reason being that you have this idea that surgery alone is going to cure you.  The cure word is what alarms me about your framing of logic.

Again, this is a conversation, but in 1987 I had surgery that got it all at Stage III, and it did……………….for nine years until it came roaring back as Stage IV.  Cure is a extremely premature word for you to even have in the conversation right now.

I am on your side and I am all about hope, but make no mistake of the intricate methods and ways that melanoma works.  Seeking durable remission is worthy of conversation, but at Stage III so early for you, if you even THINK you are cured………………..well you're setting yourself up for heartache, because the historical science just s not there to support that line of thought so early in.

You may, as many others, may think I am being a downer, but check my history, I'm not blowing smoke up your skirt; I'm speaking of realities.

In alllllllllllll the melanoma literature,there are not that many instances of "cure" at Stage III from surgery alone.

In fact, beyond Stage I, there is virtually NO talk of cure, only durable remission.

I totally get your hesitation about entering a trial, but I also totally get that you don't get this is a disease beyond lemon juice, vitamin d, exercise, diet and alcohol intake.

Yes, all of these  things are part of a healthy lifestyle, but  are not a cure for melanoma. 

Total guess on my part, but I get the sense you are thirty years old plus or minus and although Kelly is no assurance, you might be a woman, my sense is you are.

If you ARE a woman, and if you ARE around that age group, you might want to know what the the biggest killer of women is in your age group.  Yep melanoma.

Again, I am on your side, but I'm way beyond my first hayride with melanoma and with respect, I don't think you understand just what kind of fire you are playing with.

Cheers,

Charlie S

Charlie S
                      Participant

Hello Kelly,

Your question, although seemingly simple at first blush is very complex:; so bear with me in a conversation with you.

For clarification only……………….you had the primary melanoma removed and one node that had micro-mets , and the node with the micro mets was discovered not thru the SNB but thru prophylactic lymph node dissection…..that is to say your surgeon, as a precaution with a negative SNB did a elective lymph node dissection, and following that, the pathology revealed the metastasis in a node removed?

Now, beyond that, regardless of how disordered , it ,could mean that the lymph node did it's job and put melanoma in a box and your body is done with it.  Or, it could mean that beyond the "we got it all" concept of surgery; by the very nature of metastasis for Stage III, melanoma has entered, your body on a microscopic/molecular level ………….ONE cell on the scalpel, ONE cell in the bloodstream and melanoma is still there.

This is not meant to scare you, but educate you…………….the largest reason being that you have this idea that surgery alone is going to cure you.  The cure word is what alarms me about your framing of logic.

Again, this is a conversation, but in 1987 I had surgery that got it all at Stage III, and it did……………….for nine years until it came roaring back as Stage IV.  Cure is a extremely premature word for you to even have in the conversation right now.

I am on your side and I am all about hope, but make no mistake of the intricate methods and ways that melanoma works.  Seeking durable remission is worthy of conversation, but at Stage III so early for you, if you even THINK you are cured………………..well you're setting yourself up for heartache, because the historical science just s not there to support that line of thought so early in.

You may, as many others, may think I am being a downer, but check my history, I'm not blowing smoke up your skirt; I'm speaking of realities.

In alllllllllllll the melanoma literature,there are not that many instances of "cure" at Stage III from surgery alone.

In fact, beyond Stage I, there is virtually NO talk of cure, only durable remission.

I totally get your hesitation about entering a trial, but I also totally get that you don't get this is a disease beyond lemon juice, vitamin d, exercise, diet and alcohol intake.

Yes, all of these  things are part of a healthy lifestyle, but  are not a cure for melanoma. 

Total guess on my part, but I get the sense you are thirty years old plus or minus and although Kelly is no assurance, you might be a woman, my sense is you are.

If you ARE a woman, and if you ARE around that age group, you might want to know what the the biggest killer of women is in your age group.  Yep melanoma.

Again, I am on your side, but I'm way beyond my first hayride with melanoma and with respect, I don't think you understand just what kind of fire you are playing with.

Cheers,

Charlie S

Charlie S
                        Participant

Hello Kelly,

Cheers,

Charlie S

Vermont_Donna
                            Participant

Dear Kelly,

Charlie just wrote everyhting I was thinking as I read your post….PLEASE listen to what he is saying, and consider your options cPlease stick with this barefully. Always be diligent as well. And read more stories here….it will help…you will "learn the language", learn about treatments and side effects and see that what works for some doesnt work for others. You need to be a fully informed and fully aware!oard…you will find support and education here.

Vermont_Donna, stage 3a, NED since 2/11 because of yervoy

Vermont_Donna
                              Participant

Dear Kelly,

Charlie just wrote everyhting I was thinking as I read your post….PLEASE listen to what he is saying, and consider your options cPlease stick with this barefully. Always be diligent as well. And read more stories here….it will help…you will "learn the language", learn about treatments and side effects and see that what works for some doesnt work for others. You need to be a fully informed and fully aware!oard…you will find support and education here.

Vermont_Donna
                                Participant

Dear Kelly,

Vermont_Donna
                                  Participant

SORRY!!!!well my above message did not post as written, those darn letters and numbers you have to put in!! It didnt work like 6 times! Then spelling errors and things out of place….

Donna

Vermont_Donna
                                    Participant

SORRY!!!!well my above message did not post as written, those darn letters and numbers you have to put in!! It didnt work like 6 times! Then spelling errors and things out of place….

Donna

Vermont_Donna
                                      Participant

Donna

BrianP
                                      Participant

Hey Kelly,

Sorry to hear you have joined the club. I think becoming an active member of this forum is one of the best things you can do.  No doubt about it that in can be scary and even depressing at times but it can also be extremely enlightning and up lifting at other times.  I personally monitor my mood and sometimes avoid the threads that look somber if I don't think I'm in the right state of mind to read them.  There are many threads on interferon and getting all the different opinions can be very confusing.  I was in a similar situation to yours and decided to do ipi vs interferon trial and was selected into the interferon arm.  I just had my first infusion today.  I'm not going to try and convince you one way or another with the interferon.  I was in a little different situation than you in that I had a 4.4cm tumor in my lymphnodes with external capsulary activity.  I'd be glad to share some of my considerations as to why I went with the interferon if you want to PM me but I don't want to seem like I'm trying to convince you one way or another.  I can only tell you what was right for me.  Below is a great link that really had a big impact on me that I highly recommend.  It's about 90 minutes so it takes a little while but well worth it in my opinion.  I know Charlie S may seem like he came across a little strong but he's right on the money.  Make no doubt about it, you are fighting for your life.  That doesn't mean though that you need to stop living.  If anything you have to live and enjoy life more than ever.  I wish you the best in your course.  Where you are right now was the toughest time for me because I had a very tough time sorting through on the information and making my decision.  Once I made it things got a lot better.

Brian

http://www3.mdanderson.org/streams/FullVideoPlayer.cfm?xml=publicEd/config/Anti-Cancer_cfg 

BrianP
                                        Participant

Hey Kelly,

Sorry to hear you have joined the club. I think becoming an active member of this forum is one of the best things you can do.  No doubt about it that in can be scary and even depressing at times but it can also be extremely enlightning and up lifting at other times.  I personally monitor my mood and sometimes avoid the threads that look somber if I don't think I'm in the right state of mind to read them.  There are many threads on interferon and getting all the different opinions can be very confusing.  I was in a similar situation to yours and decided to do ipi vs interferon trial and was selected into the interferon arm.  I just had my first infusion today.  I'm not going to try and convince you one way or another with the interferon.  I was in a little different situation than you in that I had a 4.4cm tumor in my lymphnodes with external capsulary activity.  I'd be glad to share some of my considerations as to why I went with the interferon if you want to PM me but I don't want to seem like I'm trying to convince you one way or another.  I can only tell you what was right for me.  Below is a great link that really had a big impact on me that I highly recommend.  It's about 90 minutes so it takes a little while but well worth it in my opinion.  I know Charlie S may seem like he came across a little strong but he's right on the money.  Make no doubt about it, you are fighting for your life.  That doesn't mean though that you need to stop living.  If anything you have to live and enjoy life more than ever.  I wish you the best in your course.  Where you are right now was the toughest time for me because I had a very tough time sorting through on the information and making my decision.  Once I made it things got a lot better.

Brian

http://www3.mdanderson.org/streams/FullVideoPlayer.cfm?xml=publicEd/config/Anti-Cancer_cfg 

scots
                                            Participant

Brain,

Great video.  Thanks sharing the link.  After listening I passed the link around to my wife and friends.

side note – I justed finished a year of interferon about 4 weeks ago.   1 yr NED.   Pet/CT scheduled tomorrow.

thanks 

scot                        

scots
                                              Participant

Brain,

Great video.  Thanks sharing the link.  After listening I passed the link around to my wife and friends.

side note – I justed finished a year of interferon about 4 weeks ago.   1 yr NED.   Pet/CT scheduled tomorrow.

thanks 

scot                        

BrianP
                                                Participant

Good luck with the CT/PetScan tomorrow.  I will add you to my prayer list for clean scans!

Brian

BrianP
                                                  Participant

Good luck with the CT/PetScan tomorrow.  I will add you to my prayer list for clean scans!

Brian

BrianP
                                                    Participant

Brian

scots
                                                      Participant

Brain,

thanks 

scot                        

BrianP
                                                      Participant

Hey Kelly,

Brian

FormerCaregiver
                                                        Participant

Kelly, welcome to our forum. Thanks for filling in the details on your profile page. If only all new people here did likewise!

The one certain thing about melanoma is its unpredictability. So, it is wise to be vigilant and not to rely solely on doctors to keep an eye on things for you. If there is anything unusual, it is always best to seek medical advice as early as possible.

Of course, it is also important to keep one's immune system as healthy as possible through having a healthy lifestyle and avoiding extremes.

Best wishes

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                                                          Participant

Kelly, welcome to our forum. Thanks for filling in the details on your profile page. If only all new people here did likewise!

The one certain thing about melanoma is its unpredictability. So, it is wise to be vigilant and not to rely solely on doctors to keep an eye on things for you. If there is anything unusual, it is always best to seek medical advice as early as possible.

Of course, it is also important to keep one's immune system as healthy as possible through having a healthy lifestyle and avoiding extremes.

Best wishes

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                                                            Participant

Best wishes

Frank from Australia

AlisonC
                                                              Participant

Hi Kelly

I have been fortunate enough to have a long remission at Stage IIIB – I have been NED for 10 years now. There are also many others who have had a similar trajectory, so please maintain your hopefulness for a full and happy life.    I'm assuming since you are giving your stage as IIIB though, that your tumour was palpable through the skin (if it was entirely contained in the capsule that surrounds the lymph node….what is referred to as "encapsulated"…then that is much more positive news than if the capsule had ruptured due to tumour load).  But a palpable tumour is still far more tumour load than micromets (stage IIIA) and as Charlie says, even 1 cell that escapes can lie dormant and wait to recur (and it's reasonable to assume that may have already happened in your body since your Jan 2011 mel had clearly spread at the time). 

I don't know that I would take part in an interferon trial – for myself. It is a harsh treatment and quite a lot of people have strong opinions for/against in view of the fact that effect on survival is still not established reliably. I'm not strongly opposed but elected not to do interferon.   However at stage IIIB I would – in your shoes – investigate other options for adjuvant treatment.  I eventually went with a vaccine trial that combined an immune system stimulant with a protein isolated from my tumour and that lasted for 4 months.  Other immune system drugs include GMCSF.

I don't want to panic you because peace of mind with your decision is important, but please do not underestimate the aggressiveness of melanoma.  I do all the things you say (supplements, lifestyle changes, meditation) and they have helped me cope a lot, but I still took advantage of the medical options open to me.  If you don't like the one you've been offered, I would strongly recommend you do some research to see what other options may be available for stage III because if you don't do everything to stop it at this stage, your options are vastly reduced at stage IV.

Good luck

AlisonC

Stage IIIB

NED since 2001

AlisonC
                                                                Participant

Hi Kelly

I have been fortunate enough to have a long remission at Stage IIIB – I have been NED for 10 years now. There are also many others who have had a similar trajectory, so please maintain your hopefulness for a full and happy life.    I'm assuming since you are giving your stage as IIIB though, that your tumour was palpable through the skin (if it was entirely contained in the capsule that surrounds the lymph node….what is referred to as "encapsulated"…then that is much more positive news than if the capsule had ruptured due to tumour load).  But a palpable tumour is still far more tumour load than micromets (stage IIIA) and as Charlie says, even 1 cell that escapes can lie dormant and wait to recur (and it's reasonable to assume that may have already happened in your body since your Jan 2011 mel had clearly spread at the time). 

I don't know that I would take part in an interferon trial – for myself. It is a harsh treatment and quite a lot of people have strong opinions for/against in view of the fact that effect on survival is still not established reliably. I'm not strongly opposed but elected not to do interferon.   However at stage IIIB I would – in your shoes – investigate other options for adjuvant treatment.  I eventually went with a vaccine trial that combined an immune system stimulant with a protein isolated from my tumour and that lasted for 4 months.  Other immune system drugs include GMCSF.

I don't want to panic you because peace of mind with your decision is important, but please do not underestimate the aggressiveness of melanoma.  I do all the things you say (supplements, lifestyle changes, meditation) and they have helped me cope a lot, but I still took advantage of the medical options open to me.  If you don't like the one you've been offered, I would strongly recommend you do some research to see what other options may be available for stage III because if you don't do everything to stop it at this stage, your options are vastly reduced at stage IV.

Good luck

AlisonC

Stage IIIB

NED since 2001

AlisonC
                                                                  Participant

Hi Kelly

Good luck

AlisonC

Stage IIIB

NED since 2001

Charlie S
                                                                    Participant

Kelly,

You have received many thoughful responses and I wanted to close out my thoughts with one mantra that I want you to know.

It is your chance, so it is your choice.

No matter the way forward ; you decide what is best for you,because  it is YOUR choice, not that of a bunch or armchair observers, and I support anyone now or in the future that makes an informed medical decision…………………..and that includes you..

Cheers,

Charlie S

CLPrice31
                                                                        Participant

I think when it comes down to it, you have to do what you feel is best.

Just remember, it's not "just" skin cancer.

CLPrice31
                                                                          Participant

CLPrice31
                                                                            Participant

Charlie S
                                                                            Participant

Kelly,

You have received many thoughful responses and I wanted to close out my thoughts with one mantra that I want you to know.

No matter the way forward ; you decide what is best for you,because  it is YOUR choice, not that of a bunch or armchair observers, and I support anyone now or in the future that makes an informed medical decision…………………..and that includes you..

Cheers,

Charlie S

Charlie S
                                                                              Participant

Kelly,

Cheers,

Charlie S

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics