The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Stage IIIA – need to decide on treatment or observation – advice?

Forums General Melanoma Community Stage IIIA – need to decide on treatment or observation – advice?

Participant

Hello.  I live in Manitoba, Canada and was recently diagnosed as Stage IIIA.  The oncologist advised that in my province the options are to do the 1 year of interferon alfa 2b, or observation.

Hello.  I live in Manitoba, Canada and was recently diagnosed as Stage IIIA.  The oncologist advised that in my province the options are to do the 1 year of interferon alfa 2b, or observation. There are no other treatments or clinical trials that I qualify for here. I know there is controversy regarding efficacy of i/f – I am wondering if any of you could provide advice / feedback based on your own experiences.  I am 41 with 2 daughters at home and want to treat this as aggressively as possible…so interferon, observation or is there something else out there that is considered more effective?

I know in the end it is a personal decision my husband and I will have to make, but your feedback will be helpful. 

Take care,

Ayn  

Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Replies
        washoegal
        Participant

Hi Ayn, sorry you have had to join us.  I was dx Jan. 2010, also 3A.  Those were the choices I was given (even here in the U.S. ) and truthfully it's a very personal decision whether or not to go with interferon.  I chose to wait and watch, doing scans every 3 months. 

My reasoning was that from what I was told interferon only helped 3-7% of the folks and did not change the survivability.  The last statement was crucial.  Why go through being so sick, if very low odds and and not change in how much longer you live.  Just didn't seem like a winner to me.  NOW 15 MONTHS NED.

I know some of the folks from Canada have found other options but not sure if any are 3a, I'm sure you'll hear from them.

Good Luck,

Mary

Carol Taylor
            Participant

Hi,

3b since diagnosed in late 2008 and like Mary and for all her reasons, I opted not to do Interferon. I had two surgeries to remove all the lymph nodes under my left arm, and only the first sentinel had melanoma in it, so with 26 that were clear, I feel I was aggressive but smart…for me.

I researched Interferon and didn't like what I read. I particularly didn't like no guarantees and figured why mess up my liver and other stuff if there was no guarantee it would work. If the melanoma returns I think I want a fully functioning liver and a healthy body to deal with it.

So, I don't consider "observation" or "watch and wait" to be passive. For me, I'm in the best possible place physically, spiritually, and emotionally I can be in case I need to armor up and fight a battle.

Hope this helps and praying you make the wisest decision you can for you!

Lord, in Your mercy, give Your child wisdom on which road to travel. Thank You. Amen.

Grace and peace,

Carol

Carol Taylor
              Participant

Hi,

3b since diagnosed in late 2008 and like Mary and for all her reasons, I opted not to do Interferon. I had two surgeries to remove all the lymph nodes under my left arm, and only the first sentinel had melanoma in it, so with 26 that were clear, I feel I was aggressive but smart…for me.

I researched Interferon and didn't like what I read. I particularly didn't like no guarantees and figured why mess up my liver and other stuff if there was no guarantee it would work. If the melanoma returns I think I want a fully functioning liver and a healthy body to deal with it.

So, I don't consider "observation" or "watch and wait" to be passive. For me, I'm in the best possible place physically, spiritually, and emotionally I can be in case I need to armor up and fight a battle.

Hope this helps and praying you make the wisest decision you can for you!

Lord, in Your mercy, give Your child wisdom on which road to travel. Thank You. Amen.

Grace and peace,

Carol

aynw
                Participant

Thank you to everyone for your kind words and helpful feedback.  Does anyone know of someone participating in the clinical trials for yervoy that is stage 3?  This seems like it has great potential!

Carol Taylor
                  Participant

This is the latest I could find on yervoy and stage 3. Right now it's only forlate staged 4 patients.

That said, I also saw this which came out just yerterday:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/06/02/bristol-roche-idUSN0223755520110602

The good news is: they're working on it.

The bad news is: not yet.

Treatments for stage 3 are very limited, have potentially toxic side-effects with no guarantees and those that become NED don't know if it's due to the treatments or if they would have been NED anyway. So, it's up to you to decide if it's worth it for the stage you're in. Keep researching, talking, decide what you can live with and what you can't, know your body well adn be honest with yourself…I can't tolerate medicines well and I've already gone on record for thinking just the PET/CT scan stopped my menopause, therefore, I didn't want to take chances of what Interferon might do. You will be different.

Praying you make the wise decsion for you, but at this point Yervoy won't be it.

Grace and peace,

Carol

Carol Taylor
                    Participant

This is the latest I could find on yervoy and stage 3. Right now it's only forlate staged 4 patients.

That said, I also saw this which came out just yerterday:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/06/02/bristol-roche-idUSN0223755520110602

The good news is: they're working on it.

The bad news is: not yet.

Treatments for stage 3 are very limited, have potentially toxic side-effects with no guarantees and those that become NED don't know if it's due to the treatments or if they would have been NED anyway. So, it's up to you to decide if it's worth it for the stage you're in. Keep researching, talking, decide what you can live with and what you can't, know your body well adn be honest with yourself…I can't tolerate medicines well and I've already gone on record for thinking just the PET/CT scan stopped my menopause, therefore, I didn't want to take chances of what Interferon might do. You will be different.

Praying you make the wise decsion for you, but at this point Yervoy won't be it.

Grace and peace,

Carol

aynw
                      Participant

Thank you to everyone for your kind words and helpful feedback.  Does anyone know of someone participating in the clinical trials for yervoy that is stage 3?  This seems like it has great potential!

washoegal
                      Participant

Hi Ayn, sorry you have had to join us.  I was dx Jan. 2010, also 3A.  Those were the choices I was given (even here in the U.S. ) and truthfully it's a very personal decision whether or not to go with interferon.  I chose to wait and watch, doing scans every 3 months. 

My reasoning was that from what I was told interferon only helped 3-7% of the folks and did not change the survivability.  The last statement was crucial.  Why go through being so sick, if very low odds and and not change in how much longer you live.  Just didn't seem like a winner to me.  NOW 15 MONTHS NED.

I know some of the folks from Canada have found other options but not sure if any are 3a, I'm sure you'll hear from them.

Good Luck,

Mary

EmilyandMike
                        Participant

Hello Ayn – 

Although I am sure you don't want to be here, it is nice to meet you and welcome.  Your post caught my eye because my husband was 41 when he was diagnosed with IIIa almost 2 years ago.  They had a hard time deciding whether or not the "single cells" found in his lymph nodes were melanoma or not but they decided to error on the side of caution and go with the stage 3a diagnosis.  After reading the research on Interferon and due to his low tumor cell burden,  lower Breslow depth (1.3), and low mitotic rate,  he decided not to do interferon.  As you said it is a personal choice and many people have been successful with the drug.  I hope you will study your pathology and read the research.  You will find that observation and interferon are almost equal in the results of recurrence free survival and overall survival.  

There are very few clinical trials available for Stage 3a but you can try looking at clinicaltrials.gov…the only one that comes to mind is the Yervoy/Ipi adjuvant trial.  This is a placebo arm trial and you must start within a certain amount of time after lymph node dissection.   The results of this trial will most likely determine if Ipi will be used for adjuvant therapy in resectable stage 3 melanoma but that wont be until 2014.  Stage 3 NED is a frustrating place to be for those who dont qualify for trials and aren't comfortable with observation.  

All my best to you,

Emily

jene8511
                            Participant

Your post caught my eye because of "single cells". Currently there is some big debate on my sentinel node results. The Melanoma clinic in Boston has reviewed my case several times and finally last night the Dr told me they believe there is a "small focus" but they had a hard time with it, they even debated whether or not my primary lesion was melanoma! I have 2 nodes removed, and of course they want me to have the rest of them out. I feel this surgery and treatment is maybe to aggressive? If that makes sense. Everyone always wants to take the most aggresive approach to this disease, but I think people get scared and just do what the Drs tell them to do. Had I not argued with them at my first visit about WHY they wanted to do all of this without any proof it was going to do anything, they wouldn't have brought my case up to the board several times!

jene8511
                              Participant

Your post caught my eye because of "single cells". Currently there is some big debate on my sentinel node results. The Melanoma clinic in Boston has reviewed my case several times and finally last night the Dr told me they believe there is a "small focus" but they had a hard time with it, they even debated whether or not my primary lesion was melanoma! I have 2 nodes removed, and of course they want me to have the rest of them out. I feel this surgery and treatment is maybe to aggressive? If that makes sense. Everyone always wants to take the most aggresive approach to this disease, but I think people get scared and just do what the Drs tell them to do. Had I not argued with them at my first visit about WHY they wanted to do all of this without any proof it was going to do anything, they wouldn't have brought my case up to the board several times!

EmilyandMike
                              Participant

Hello Ayn – 

Although I am sure you don't want to be here, it is nice to meet you and welcome.  Your post caught my eye because my husband was 41 when he was diagnosed with IIIa almost 2 years ago.  They had a hard time deciding whether or not the "single cells" found in his lymph nodes were melanoma or not but they decided to error on the side of caution and go with the stage 3a diagnosis.  After reading the research on Interferon and due to his low tumor cell burden,  lower Breslow depth (1.3), and low mitotic rate,  he decided not to do interferon.  As you said it is a personal choice and many people have been successful with the drug.  I hope you will study your pathology and read the research.  You will find that observation and interferon are almost equal in the results of recurrence free survival and overall survival.  

There are very few clinical trials available for Stage 3a but you can try looking at clinicaltrials.gov…the only one that comes to mind is the Yervoy/Ipi adjuvant trial.  This is a placebo arm trial and you must start within a certain amount of time after lymph node dissection.   The results of this trial will most likely determine if Ipi will be used for adjuvant therapy in resectable stage 3 melanoma but that wont be until 2014.  Stage 3 NED is a frustrating place to be for those who dont qualify for trials and aren't comfortable with observation.  

All my best to you,

Emily

mcanova
                                Participant

Hello Ayn,

I was diagnosed as Stage 3A in 2007, and my surgeon suggested the observation approach.  He was not convinced that interferon made a significant difference.   I had monthly checkups initially and this has been extended over time to every 6 months.  So far, so good.  I guess time will tell if I made the right decision.

Good luck!

Mike

mcanova
                                  Participant

Hello Ayn,

I was diagnosed as Stage 3A in 2007, and my surgeon suggested the observation approach.  He was not convinced that interferon made a significant difference.   I had monthly checkups initially and this has been extended over time to every 6 months.  So far, so good.  I guess time will tell if I made the right decision.

Good luck!

Mike

Teodora

Hi Ayn,

I am faced with the same dilemma-I am scheduled to meet an oncologist chematologist on Thuesday to disscus further treatment after an surgery to remove the primary tumor and a reoccurence found 10 months later.

I am pretty sure Interferon will be offered and I did research on the drug-it is a very toxic drug with severe side effects but minimum effectiveness that only helps 1 in 9 people to delay reocurrence by 13 months in average.

Some people have chosen to do  it and are still NED;others have done it too and   and had reocurrences anyway;so it is not clear if the drug did any good or it was the individual"s immune system/genetics.

Anyway this drug can  affect  the central nervous system;it should never ever be taken by  people with history of depression/anxiety disorders/panic attacks-I am in the category- as it can induce severe psychiatric disorders.

The frustrating thing is that there is very little beside it  on the table to offer for stage 3.

Yervoy/Ipi clinical compassionate trials for stage 3 are offered in some leading Cancer Centers in US but I believe that  there are including/excluding criterias depending on you individual case,staging, presence/absence of active disease  and medical history.

It is a very personal choice as mentioned already by my fellow melanoma warriors and if you thing you are strong enough mentally and physically people said Interferon is doable;just not for me.And you know yourself better than anybody else.

Best regards,

Teodora

Teodora

Hi Ayn,

I am faced with the same dilemma-I am scheduled to meet an oncologist chematologist on Thuesday to disscus further treatment after an surgery to remove the primary tumor and a reoccurence found 10 months later.

I am pretty sure Interferon will be offered and I did research on the drug-it is a very toxic drug with severe side effects but minimum effectiveness that only helps 1 in 9 people to delay reocurrence by 13 months in average.

Some people have chosen to do  it and are still NED;others have done it too and   and had reocurrences anyway;so it is not clear if the drug did any good or it was the individual"s immune system/genetics.

Anyway this drug can  affect  the central nervous system;it should never ever be taken by  people with history of depression/anxiety disorders/panic attacks-I am in the category- as it can induce severe psychiatric disorders.

The frustrating thing is that there is very little beside it  on the table to offer for stage 3.

Yervoy/Ipi clinical compassionate trials for stage 3 are offered in some leading Cancer Centers in US but I believe that  there are including/excluding criterias depending on you individual case,staging, presence/absence of active disease  and medical history.

It is a very personal choice as mentioned already by my fellow melanoma warriors and if you thing you are strong enough mentally and physically people said Interferon is doable;just not for me.And you know yourself better than anybody else.

Best regards,

Teodora

April Hiller
                                        Participant

I opted for INF because I wanted to feel as though I was doing something.  My thought process was that INF was being offered now, if it did come back, I can't say I didn't try. My year was not great, but I was able to teach part time. I combed the internet and found lots of not so good stories about the side effects, but I did find one good story of a guy who sailed right through. That was all I needed…if he could do it, I could do it. They are now saying the month treatment is as effective as the year treatment. If you choose this route, you will need help with your children as some days you may not feel up to it.

You have to trust that you will make the best decision for you. Unfortunately for us, there is no one answer or magic pill.  I am almost 5 years out. Did INF help? Who knows. Am I happy I did it? Yes.

April Hiller
                                          Participant

I opted for INF because I wanted to feel as though I was doing something.  My thought process was that INF was being offered now, if it did come back, I can't say I didn't try. My year was not great, but I was able to teach part time. I combed the internet and found lots of not so good stories about the side effects, but I did find one good story of a guy who sailed right through. That was all I needed…if he could do it, I could do it. They are now saying the month treatment is as effective as the year treatment. If you choose this route, you will need help with your children as some days you may not feel up to it.

You have to trust that you will make the best decision for you. Unfortunately for us, there is no one answer or magic pill.  I am almost 5 years out. Did INF help? Who knows. Am I happy I did it? Yes.

Jim M.
                                            Participant

I was diagnosed 3C back in 11/07. I was offered a clinical trial with Ipi/Yervoy and vaccines. I know not everyone is a responder with Ipi but it boosted my immune system at least 5 times over baseline. I did the trial with resected melanoma. I'm on a hormone replacement as Ipi affected the pituitary function but I've been NED and no recurrences.

God Bless,

Jim M.

stage 3C

NED: 3years, 7 months

Jim M.
                                              Participant

I was diagnosed 3C back in 11/07. I was offered a clinical trial with Ipi/Yervoy and vaccines. I know not everyone is a responder with Ipi but it boosted my immune system at least 5 times over baseline. I did the trial with resected melanoma. I'm on a hormone replacement as Ipi affected the pituitary function but I've been NED and no recurrences.

God Bless,

Jim M.

stage 3C

NED: 3years, 7 months

mom3girlsFL
                                                Participant

Hi Ayn,

I chose to do interferon as I felt like I needed to do "something" to fight.  I am the mom of 3 young children and 'watch and wait' did not suit me.  The first month of interferon was pretty brutal and I had to be taken off twice because of low wbc and liver issues.  I then did self injection 3x a week.  In my 2nd month I had a recurrence and had to have surgery and came off the interferon.

I'm not sure what I would do if I went back and was offered the same options again.  That is why you are getting so many opinions.  It truly is a very personal decision for you and your family.  Actually, I would probably choose the same route – I don't know if I could not have done "something" if it was offered.  I don't know…

Either way, good luck with your decision.  If you opt to do interferon, post back and get advice from those who have done it so we may offer some advice to get you through.

Best wishes,

Laurie

mom3girlsFL
                                                  Participant

Hi Ayn,

I chose to do interferon as I felt like I needed to do "something" to fight.  I am the mom of 3 young children and 'watch and wait' did not suit me.  The first month of interferon was pretty brutal and I had to be taken off twice because of low wbc and liver issues.  I then did self injection 3x a week.  In my 2nd month I had a recurrence and had to have surgery and came off the interferon.

I'm not sure what I would do if I went back and was offered the same options again.  That is why you are getting so many opinions.  It truly is a very personal decision for you and your family.  Actually, I would probably choose the same route – I don't know if I could not have done "something" if it was offered.  I don't know…

Either way, good luck with your decision.  If you opt to do interferon, post back and get advice from those who have done it so we may offer some advice to get you through.

Best wishes,

Laurie

bluepeople
                                                    Participant

Hi there,

It is definitely a personal decision.  My hubby is stage 2C, and was offered interferon due to the depth of his melanoma.  He decided to do it, and has done 4 months of the 3x/week injections, so I can tell you how it's been for him so far.  The month of high dose was pretty hard, but not unbearable.  He worked for 5 hours, came home to take a nap, and then went in the afternoon to the hospital.  He slept alot, had headaches, a little nausea at first, but overall it was just the fatigue.  Now that he has been having the shots for 4 months, he is just very tired, and sometimes  gets headaches in the evening after a shot.  He's working full time but pretty much wears himself out at work, and then sleeps when he gets home.  His appetite has gone down alot, and he has lost probably 30 lbs so far.  Luckily he had weight to lose, but it's getting to the point where I'm kind of getting worried about that.  We have a 1-yr old and he still makes time to spend with him, but Saturdays are probably his worst day, and Sunday is the day we try to go out and do stuff since he's usually the least tired on those days. 

Overall, he knows about the limited effectiveness, but feels that so far it is not unbearable.  Whether or not he completes the whole 11 months, we'll see.  Good luck in whatever you choose.,

bluepeople
                                                      Participant

Hi there,

It is definitely a personal decision.  My hubby is stage 2C, and was offered interferon due to the depth of his melanoma.  He decided to do it, and has done 4 months of the 3x/week injections, so I can tell you how it's been for him so far.  The month of high dose was pretty hard, but not unbearable.  He worked for 5 hours, came home to take a nap, and then went in the afternoon to the hospital.  He slept alot, had headaches, a little nausea at first, but overall it was just the fatigue.  Now that he has been having the shots for 4 months, he is just very tired, and sometimes  gets headaches in the evening after a shot.  He's working full time but pretty much wears himself out at work, and then sleeps when he gets home.  His appetite has gone down alot, and he has lost probably 30 lbs so far.  Luckily he had weight to lose, but it's getting to the point where I'm kind of getting worried about that.  We have a 1-yr old and he still makes time to spend with him, but Saturdays are probably his worst day, and Sunday is the day we try to go out and do stuff since he's usually the least tired on those days. 

Overall, he knows about the limited effectiveness, but feels that so far it is not unbearable.  Whether or not he completes the whole 11 months, we'll see.  Good luck in whatever you choose.,

FertilityDoc
                                                        Participant
                                                          Ayn,

My heart goes out to you. Most of us are in a stage of shock and disbelief after the initial diagnosis. I was diagnosed with Stage IIIB melanoma in 04/11. The options at this stage are not optimal. There is interferon of course. GM CSF was given at some centers. There were some studies on Ipilimumab the time. It was difficult understanding I’d be subject to randomization. I spoke to 3 oncologists before settling on Interferon. I know how to interpret the medical literature. I did the full year of interferon. I. Have a desk job. I found myself having to take a nap at lunch but was able to get through the day. I sit here 2 years later without a recurrence and with each passing day the odds get better. It is a very personal decision. Is the interferon the reason I am disease free today? I’ll never know. I never regretted the decision to do the interferon. I could not sit back and wait for things to happen. I could not live with myself saying “coulda or shoulda”. Whatever decision you make, close the door on it. Live life to the fullest and don’t allow the disease to define you.

FertilityDoc
                                                          Participant
                                                            Ayn,

My heart goes out to you. Most of us are in a stage of shock and disbelief after the initial diagnosis. I was diagnosed with Stage IIIB melanoma in 04/11. The options at this stage are not optimal. There is interferon of course. GM CSF was given at some centers. There were some studies on Ipilimumab the time. It was difficult understanding I’d be subject to randomization. I spoke to 3 oncologists before settling on Interferon. I know how to interpret the medical literature. I did the full year of interferon. I. Have a desk job. I found myself having to take a nap at lunch but was able to get through the day. I sit here 2 years later without a recurrence and with each passing day the odds get better. It is a very personal decision. Is the interferon the reason I am disease free today? I’ll never know. I never regretted the decision to do the interferon. I could not sit back and wait for things to happen. I could not live with myself saying “coulda or shoulda”. Whatever decision you make, close the door on it. Live life to the fullest and don’t allow the disease to define you.

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics