The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Stage III biochemotherapy veterans

Forums General Melanoma Community Stage III biochemotherapy veterans

Participant

I underwent biochemotherapy treatments at the University of Colorado Cancer Center in 2003, after receiving a Stage IIIc diagnosis (14 malignant nodes).  Today, I'm still above ground and healthy, showing no evident disease.  I've blogged about the lighter side of the journey at http://www.hotelmelanoma.blogspot.com.  Any other biochemo veterans out there?  Please share your stories.  Best wishes.  Rich McDonald

I underwent biochemotherapy treatments at the University of Colorado Cancer Center in 2003, after receiving a Stage IIIc diagnosis (14 malignant nodes).  Today, I'm still above ground and healthy, showing no evident disease.  I've blogged about the lighter side of the journey at http://www.hotelmelanoma.blogspot.com.  Any other biochemo veterans out there?  Please share your stories.  Best wishes.  Rich McDonald

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        dawn dion
        Participant

OMG – I just read your blog…..to FUNNY!  As I wage this battle myself – I request that you keep blogging because you make me feel better!

RMcLegal
            Participant

Thanks, I'll try to keep it up, but as "March Madness" checkup season approaches I'm hoping not to experience a whole lot of new material for future posts.  Best wishes to you in your battle.  Rich

RMcLegal
              Participant

Thanks, I'll try to keep it up, but as "March Madness" checkup season approaches I'm hoping not to experience a whole lot of new material for future posts.  Best wishes to you in your battle.  Rich

dawn dion
              Participant

OMG – I just read your blog…..to FUNNY!  As I wage this battle myself – I request that you keep blogging because you make me feel better!

ShariC
                Participant

Rich – Thanks so much for your post and your blog.  Its fantastic!  I, too, am a survivor of the UCCC biochemotherapy treatment.  I just finished my 4th treatment at the end of January (2011).  Its amazing to read something that captures my experience so well.  In particular, the section on Chemo Brain!  Really?!  I couldn't figure out why I wasn't reading and couldn't concentrate on much!  Its still very foggy!  I also loved your description of hitting the web directly after diagnosis.  Surely we all can relate.  We KNOW better, we're told not to…but we do it with disastrous results!  The hazmat suit experience is exactly what I thought too.  Overall, I find the experience something I can't really describe in words, but I feel like I don't have to try as hard, because its all in yours.  Thanks. 

My experiences are similar, I hope I enjoy similar results.  Right now, I'm just entering into the watch and wait phase with 3 month scans.  Your story is an inspiration for me.  I'm heading to Costa Rica to celebrate in April.  I have already taken note of your increased sensitivity to the sun and plan to follow suit.  Please keep blogging – and stay in touch.  – Shari

RMcLegal
                    Participant

Shari, thanks for your kind words on the blog.  Congratulations on being DONE!  We share a great group of docs (Bill Robinson and Karl Lewis have been my main guys) and I firmly believe you too are going to be one of UCCC's biochemo success stories.  The Chemo Brain thing will slowly improve (I haven't forgotten my ATM PIN for a long time), but I still don't think I can "multi-task" effectively so, per the advice of a UCCC neurologist (Denise Damek) I just don't try to.  Hang in there.

I'm going to try to keep blogging on, but since next month is my checkup season of "March Madness" I'm hoping not to experience a lot of new material for future posts.

Best wishes!  Rich

RMcLegal
                      Participant

Shari, thanks for your kind words on the blog.  Congratulations on being DONE!  We share a great group of docs (Bill Robinson and Karl Lewis have been my main guys) and I firmly believe you too are going to be one of UCCC's biochemo success stories.  The Chemo Brain thing will slowly improve (I haven't forgotten my ATM PIN for a long time), but I still don't think I can "multi-task" effectively so, per the advice of a UCCC neurologist (Denise Damek) I just don't try to.  Hang in there.

I'm going to try to keep blogging on, but since next month is my checkup season of "March Madness" I'm hoping not to experience a lot of new material for future posts.

Best wishes!  Rich

ShariC
                      Participant

Rich – Thanks so much for your post and your blog.  Its fantastic!  I, too, am a survivor of the UCCC biochemotherapy treatment.  I just finished my 4th treatment at the end of January (2011).  Its amazing to read something that captures my experience so well.  In particular, the section on Chemo Brain!  Really?!  I couldn't figure out why I wasn't reading and couldn't concentrate on much!  Its still very foggy!  I also loved your description of hitting the web directly after diagnosis.  Surely we all can relate.  We KNOW better, we're told not to…but we do it with disastrous results!  The hazmat suit experience is exactly what I thought too.  Overall, I find the experience something I can't really describe in words, but I feel like I don't have to try as hard, because its all in yours.  Thanks. 

My experiences are similar, I hope I enjoy similar results.  Right now, I'm just entering into the watch and wait phase with 3 month scans.  Your story is an inspiration for me.  I'm heading to Costa Rica to celebrate in April.  I have already taken note of your increased sensitivity to the sun and plan to follow suit.  Please keep blogging – and stay in touch.  – Shari

RMcLegal
                        Participant

Is this band of brothers and sisters really this small?  I can't believe there aren't more biochemo vets out there.  (My doc once joked that as their thousandth patient to complete biochemo, I was the lucky winner of a bonus fifth round.  I just about fainted before my brain kicked in and I got the joke, but I know I was far from their first and most certainly not their last biochemo patient.)   Please reply and let us know how you are doing.  Or, become a guest blogger at http://www.hotelmelanoma.blogspot.com, which chronicles the lighter side of my journey.  Best wishes to all.

RMcLegal
                          Participant

Is this band of brothers and sisters really this small?  I can't believe there aren't more biochemo vets out there.  (My doc once joked that as their thousandth patient to complete biochemo, I was the lucky winner of a bonus fifth round.  I just about fainted before my brain kicked in and I got the joke, but I know I was far from their first and most certainly not their last biochemo patient.)   Please reply and let us know how you are doing.  Or, become a guest blogger at http://www.hotelmelanoma.blogspot.com, which chronicles the lighter side of my journey.  Best wishes to all.

Viewing 5 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics