The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

stage III a and kicking this crap

Forums General Melanoma Community stage III a and kicking this crap

Participant
      I had… Key word HAD and keeping it that way.. I believe the best is to have a positive outlook.. I know I won’t live for ever but the time I do have is going to be enjoyable. I had a nodular melanoma on my earlobe with one sentinel positive. I had a wide excision with 21 nodes taken out all negative.. I will be starting interferon in a month or so as protocol. I know everyone is different and different situations but the best cure is POSITIVITY up until the end whenever that may be.. I blew threw the greif phases and figured that every day life is a 50/50 chance..

I had… Key word HAD and keeping it that way.. I believe the best is to have a positive outlook.. I know I won’t live for ever but the time I do have is going to be enjoyable. I had a nodular melanoma on my earlobe with one sentinel positive. I had a wide excision with 21 nodes taken out all negative.. I will be starting interferon in a month or so as protocol. I know everyone is different and different situations but the best cure is POSITIVITY up until the end whenever that may be.. I blew threw the greif phases and figured that every day life is a 50/50 chance.. Hell, Korea might get me before the cancer.. HA! In your face cancer!!!. Everyone who has this nasty keep rolling thru life and enjoy it no matter how difficult it may get.. Everyone who has lost someone, enjoy what you had with them and their eternal memories.. To everyone thank you all for your ongoing info and support to each other.. We all ROCK!!!!!

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        Gene_S
        Participant

Spend some time researching interferon and melanoma before you start the treatments. Interferon is very toxic and has not been shown to cure melanoma.

Gene_S
          Participant

Spend some time researching interferon and melanoma before you start the treatments. Interferon is very toxic and has not been shown to cure melanoma.

Gene_S
            Participant

mark d
                Participant
                  I have and right now its the only option open to me right now.. Central Texas has very little trials open to anyone..
                  Gene_S
                  Participant

The other real option is to learn about changing your diet and lifestyle. You already have a great attitude so before you agree to doing interferon which will hurt your immune system very badly, step back and research "how to boost your immune system". Ask your oncologist for referrals that he/she for successful patients that they gave interferon treatments and where they are today. It is sad that this option is one of the few but please do your homework…  interferon treatments in my opinion is simply just "kicking the can down the road".

Gene_S
                    Participant

The other real option is to learn about changing your diet and lifestyle. You already have a great attitude so before you agree to doing interferon which will hurt your immune system very badly, step back and research "how to boost your immune system". Ask your oncologist for referrals that he/she for successful patients that they gave interferon treatments and where they are today. It is sad that this option is one of the few but please do your homework…  interferon treatments in my opinion is simply just "kicking the can down the road".

Gene_S
                      Participant

mark d
                        Participant
                          I have and right now its the only option open to me right now.. Central Texas has very little trials open to anyone..
                          mark d
                          Participant
                          washoegal
                          Participant

Keep up the great attitude!  That will get you through almost anything and it certainly will help build you strength. 

Mary

Stage 3

washoegal
                            Participant

Keep up the great attitude!  That will get you through almost anything and it certainly will help build you strength. 

Mary

Stage 3

washoegal
                              Participant

Mary

Stage 3

DebbieH
                                Participant

Good luck to you – remember there are plenty of people here doing well years after a diagnosis like yours.

And to the naysayers about interferon – this is not YOUR choice, it's a personal one for each individual and we need to respect that.  I did interferon (stage IIIC) in 2001/2002 and I'm still here and doing well over 11 years later.  What is wrong with delaying a recurrence anyway?  It's not like there's a cure out there yet so delay, delay, delay is what I say, until there IS a cure.

On another note, as I'm reading some of these responses I have to say  I find it interesting that most of those I know who are enjoying a long good life after a "bad" diagnosis, including myself, have NOT changed their diet so make what you want of that.

I just wish everytime someone said they were going to do interferon try to prolong their life some people wouldn't come on to bash it and I find it very disrespectful. 

Again, good luck and let us know how you're doing.

DebbieH, stage IIIC, NED 11+ years after INTERFERON

DebbieH
                                  Participant

Good luck to you – remember there are plenty of people here doing well years after a diagnosis like yours.

And to the naysayers about interferon – this is not YOUR choice, it's a personal one for each individual and we need to respect that.  I did interferon (stage IIIC) in 2001/2002 and I'm still here and doing well over 11 years later.  What is wrong with delaying a recurrence anyway?  It's not like there's a cure out there yet so delay, delay, delay is what I say, until there IS a cure.

On another note, as I'm reading some of these responses I have to say  I find it interesting that most of those I know who are enjoying a long good life after a "bad" diagnosis, including myself, have NOT changed their diet so make what you want of that.

I just wish everytime someone said they were going to do interferon try to prolong their life some people wouldn't come on to bash it and I find it very disrespectful. 

DebbieH
                                    Participant

mark d
                                        Participant
                                          Thank you for your positivity. I know when the time comes it comes so I am trying to extend it to enjoy my family.. Like I said earlier everyone is different.. It may help me or it might not.. No one knows until.. If people here have thoughts and suggestions on other routes that are confirmed to work. By all means let me know..I am military and in fair shape , could be better.. I let myself go a little but can get it back.. I am 41 and feel younger still.. I have some factors benefiting me already.. Please people if you have something to share that can help others post it..
                                          mark d
                                          Participant
                                            Thank you for your positivity. I know when the time comes it comes so I am trying to extend it to enjoy my family.. Like I said earlier everyone is different.. It may help me or it might not.. No one knows until.. If people here have thoughts and suggestions on other routes that are confirmed to work. By all means let me know..I am military and in fair shape , could be better.. I let myself go a little but can get it back.. I am 41 and feel younger still.. I have some factors benefiting me already.. Please people if you have something to share that can help others post it..
                                            mark d
                                            Participant
                                            Mandi0280
                                            Participant

Hello! I hate to hear about your diagnosis but seems like you have a great attitude! My husband was diagnosed with stage 3b and did interferon last July. He only did the 1 month infusions and did not do the 11 months shots. I wanted to tell you that he did fine with the interferon. After we learned that he needed to pre med himself things went pretty smoothly. The Dr ordered him something for nausea to take IV right before he got his interferon and I also made sure I had pain meds with me to give him about 30 mins into his infusion. Don't get me wrong he didn't feel like his complete normal self every day but he made it without the horor stories everyone tends to tell. I know everyone is different but I think with that attitude you have I think you will make it fine. Just make sure you find what works for you as far as tylenol,nausea medicine and what have you. My husband decided not to do the 11 months because he was so ready to get back to work and his Dr told him the next 11 months were not really proven to do much more than the 1 month infusions. But again, that is a personal choice. Good LUCK!

Mandi 

Mandi0280
                                              Participant

Hello! I hate to hear about your diagnosis but seems like you have a great attitude! My husband was diagnosed with stage 3b and did interferon last July. He only did the 1 month infusions and did not do the 11 months shots. I wanted to tell you that he did fine with the interferon. After we learned that he needed to pre med himself things went pretty smoothly. The Dr ordered him something for nausea to take IV right before he got his interferon and I also made sure I had pain meds with me to give him about 30 mins into his infusion. Don't get me wrong he didn't feel like his complete normal self every day but he made it without the horor stories everyone tends to tell. I know everyone is different but I think with that attitude you have I think you will make it fine. Just make sure you find what works for you as far as tylenol,nausea medicine and what have you. My husband decided not to do the 11 months because he was so ready to get back to work and his Dr told him the next 11 months were not really proven to do much more than the 1 month infusions. But again, that is a personal choice. Good LUCK!

Mandi 

mark d
                                                  Participant
                                                    Please describe his stage 3 b.. How many nodes were positive. How is he today.. How long did he have it before you caught it.. Where was his Mel?
                                                    mark d
                                                    Participant
                                                      Please describe his stage 3 b.. How many nodes were positive. How is he today.. How long did he have it before you caught it.. Where was his Mel?
                                                      Mandi0280
                                                      Participant

Bobby had a mole come up on his chest.  I started to watch it and over time it began to grown and to darken to almost black in color. I kept telling him to please have it looked at. Being a VERY hardheaded man he put it off for quite some time. He decided to go to see our family doctor about March 2011. Our doctor told him it was NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT!!  But I knew when the words came out of his mouth he was wrong. I cried when I left the office that day. Fast forward to October 2011, the mole started to bleed. That is when my husband finally went and had it taken off. It came back as MELANOMA. He had his wide excision and lymph node removal the same month with 1 positive node. He stared a trial drug ( ipinumumab) & that landed him in the hospital with severe colitis after the 2nd treatment and was taken off of that. He started interferon in July 2012. By the  grace of GOD nothing has shown up on any scans since the very first scan he ever had . So, he has remained "cancer free". I can't tell you that he has remained this way because of interferon, through surgery or maybe even the 2 treatments of ipi. Either way, it is a blessing because some ppl have something show up on scans very early after diagnosis.  I mentioned Bobby is hardheaded and he does not see a dermatologist like I know he should but his doctor has also not really pushed him to do that. He just says to keep a close watch on your body and for changes. I also urge you to do the same. You should see a derm but if not look for future changes so if this happens again you can catch it early. I stay on top of making sure he has scans every 3-4 months even though our dr wants to wait 6 or more months. That is not ok with me. Some ppl dont mind waiting that long in between scans but that worries me too much. I try to be that person in Bobby's life to make sure doctors are doing what they need to. Sometimes you have to fight for yourself. Doctors are great but it's not their life or family's life that could end because of this cancer. So, educate yourself. I learned that after the "nothing to worry about" from my family doctor.

Good Luck!!

Mandi0280
                                                        Participant

Bobby had a mole come up on his chest.  I started to watch it and over time it began to grown and to darken to almost black in color. I kept telling him to please have it looked at. Being a VERY hardheaded man he put it off for quite some time. He decided to go to see our family doctor about March 2011. Our doctor told him it was NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT!!  But I knew when the words came out of his mouth he was wrong. I cried when I left the office that day. Fast forward to October 2011, the mole started to bleed. That is when my husband finally went and had it taken off. It came back as MELANOMA. He had his wide excision and lymph node removal the same month with 1 positive node. He stared a trial drug ( ipinumumab) & that landed him in the hospital with severe colitis after the 2nd treatment and was taken off of that. He started interferon in July 2012. By the  grace of GOD nothing has shown up on any scans since the very first scan he ever had . So, he has remained "cancer free". I can't tell you that he has remained this way because of interferon, through surgery or maybe even the 2 treatments of ipi. Either way, it is a blessing because some ppl have something show up on scans very early after diagnosis.  I mentioned Bobby is hardheaded and he does not see a dermatologist like I know he should but his doctor has also not really pushed him to do that. He just says to keep a close watch on your body and for changes. I also urge you to do the same. You should see a derm but if not look for future changes so if this happens again you can catch it early. I stay on top of making sure he has scans every 3-4 months even though our dr wants to wait 6 or more months. That is not ok with me. Some ppl dont mind waiting that long in between scans but that worries me too much. I try to be that person in Bobby's life to make sure doctors are doing what they need to. Sometimes you have to fight for yourself. Doctors are great but it's not their life or family's life that could end because of this cancer. So, educate yourself. I learned that after the "nothing to worry about" from my family doctor.

Good Luck!!

Mandi0280
                                                          Participant

Good Luck!!

mark d
                                                            Participant
                                                            Mandi0280
                                                            Participant

Mandi 

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics