The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Stage 4 folks and travel insurance?

Forums General Melanoma Community Stage 4 folks and travel insurance?

Participant

Hi everyone

I am wondering what Stage 4 people's experience has been in qualifying for travel insurance?  My husband, Pete, has been inquiring with our insurance carrier but it has been hard for him to get straight answers.  How do others cope with this situation?  The idea of never being able to fly out of the county together again is very hard for both of us to accept.  Especially because we live in Canada, which is very cold in the winter!  Any advice would be most helpful.

Thanks in advance,

Yasmin

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        joelcairo
        Participant

I assume you would be covered for unrelated issues but not pre-existing conditions. Of course that needs to be clarified by whatever health insurance provider you use. Whether you choose to travel depends on how likely it is that urgent and unexpected complications could arise. A place like Mexico or Cuba would be a better choice than the US, because even if medical care or hospitalization is required, it's less likely to be a bankrupting expense.

Jubes
            Participant

I have the same problem. I am assuming that nothing to do with the melanoma or side effects of treatment is covered, but I am afraid that the insurance co would try to blame any other condition on the melanoma or treatment of it. 

yazziemac
              Participant

Thanks for your responses.  I struggle with knowing how to balance this risk.  For example, if my husband gets clean scans, is it safe to take a trip right after?  But what if he has a stroke and they say it's related to melanoma?  (since he had a previous brain tumour that was melanoma).  I know that no one can answer these "what ifs" but I feel so stuck about what is the responsible thing to do.  The idea of never being able to take a holiday together outside of Canada is really  discouraging.  Canada is a very beautiful country and there's lot to see, but going somewhere warm in the winter in something we've always enjoyed and looked forward to.  I hope I don't sound petty;  tropical holidays aren't essential things and I realize that ๐Ÿ™‚

yazziemac
                Participant

Thanks for your responses.  I struggle with knowing how to balance this risk.  For example, if my husband gets clean scans, is it safe to take a trip right after?  But what if he has a stroke and they say it's related to melanoma?  (since he had a previous brain tumour that was melanoma).  I know that no one can answer these "what ifs" but I feel so stuck about what is the responsible thing to do.  The idea of never being able to take a holiday together outside of Canada is really  discouraging.  Canada is a very beautiful country and there's lot to see, but going somewhere warm in the winter in something we've always enjoyed and looked forward to.  I hope I don't sound petty;  tropical holidays aren't essential things and I realize that ๐Ÿ™‚

yazziemac
                  Participant

Jubes
                    Participant

I have the same problem. I am assuming that nothing to do with the melanoma or side effects of treatment is covered, but I am afraid that the insurance co would try to blame any other condition on the melanoma or treatment of it. 

Jubes
                      Participant

joelcairo
                      Participant

I assume you would be covered for unrelated issues but not pre-existing conditions. Of course that needs to be clarified by whatever health insurance provider you use. Whether you choose to travel depends on how likely it is that urgent and unexpected complications could arise. A place like Mexico or Cuba would be a better choice than the US, because even if medical care or hospitalization is required, it's less likely to be a bankrupting expense.

joelcairo
                        Participant

Viewing 2 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics