The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Stage 4 – 5 Years NED

Forums General Melanoma Community Stage 4 – 5 Years NED

Participant

5 years ago today I went through a bowel resection to remove a fist-sized melanoma tumor from my small intenstine. Those were difficult days – progression from stage 2 to stage 3 and then to stage 4. They cut it out and we started the frequent scans. I have never done any treatment beyond surgery. Days became weeks and weeks became months. Now here I am 5 years later still standing with no evidence of disease. Those days in the past almost feel like a bad dream at this point. Now I spend my time looking forward. My oldest starts college in the fall. I can dream about retirement some day. 

I do not come back to this board much anymore but I still see some of the familiar names doing God's work providing encouragement, research, and hope for so many. I prayed that I would have the opportunity to come back here 5 years later and share some hope that there can be life after melanoma. So that is my message – for some of you struggling right now, do not lose hope. That next surgery or that next treatment or that next clinical trial treatment may be the one that does the trick. Stay positive and hang in there. 

Kevin 

Viewing 7 reply threads
    • Replies
        Bubbles
        Participant

Excellent, Kevin!! Thanks for sharing!  celeste

Johnjk04
          Participant

Mr. Collins we appreciate your words of support and hope. May you continue to enjoy your marvelous life.

jbronicki
            Participant

These are the best posts!  So glad you are at the 5 year mark and NED!  That is definitely hope for everyone. Have a great 2019 Kevin.

MarkR
              Participant

Fantastic inspiration for us all – congratulations!!

TexMelanomex
                Participant

Well said KP, and spot on! Stay in the fight Warriors!

BrianP
                  Participant

Great to hear from you Kevin.  Your's story is pretty amazing.  Feel like they should be researching your blood or something to find some great scientific discovery.  Keep on keepig on!

Brian

sally g
                    Participant

WOW….Congrats I wish you continued NED. Sally G

Beverly
                      Participant

Thanks for sharing, Kevin.  I am new to this forum.  Read your profile – and my Breslow depth is 8mm as yours was years ago.  Still in early stages of finding out things…just have the initial pathology, waiting on WLE and SLN mapping surgery and staging. Doc wanted PET CT scan before surgery but  insurance denied.  Waiting on peer to peer.  Doubt it will be approved.  Maybe a CT.  Seems they would have to approve some sort of imaging with an 8mm and having a previous melanoma in 2013.  Really worried about insurance approvals going forward relative to my melanoma.

Anyway, congratulations!  Wishing you all the best.

Beverly

Viewing 7 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics