The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Stage 3A – Yervoy (10mg dose) treatment update

Forums General Melanoma Community Stage 3A – Yervoy (10mg dose) treatment update

Participant

Hello everyone,

I wanted to get back and update you all on my Yervoy journey. I had my first Yervoy infusion at the University of Pennsylvania — 10mg/per kg of body weight — on November 19th. I was hoping to be able to get the dosing reduced to 3mg/per kg of body weight but my insurance (Cigna) would not consider that dosing since the study from which the Stage 3 approval came – and for which the benefit was proven — was at the 10mg dosing. Of course, by far, most of the side effects/toxicity experienced come with the 10mg dosing vs. the 3 mg dosing. It was a tough decision to make but, for me, the risks were something I was willing to accept.

So, I am just about 2 weeks from the initial infusion. About 4-5 days after the treatment, I started to experience some mild abdominal discomfort. In fact, I did not have a bowel movement (BM) for two days prior to the onset of the discomfort. Then, on the 4th-5th day I had a couple of normal BMs and a couple of loose BMs. The next day the same thing. Of course, I called the doctor's office right away — since colitis/perforated bowel was how folks died in the clinical study. They weren't too concerned but told me to take Immodium after each BM and that if it happened more than 3 times the next day I was to call back and let them know immediately. Fortunately, although, the mild discomfort continued for a few more days the loose stools did not. My BMs had become softer but no longer loose — first symptom dealt with! (NOT to be too gross but I also noticed a significant change in the smell of my urine. It has a very strong, chemical smell. It does seem to be lessening but it has indeed changed.)

Last week, about 1 week from the initial treatment, started a pretty good rash, which is a common side effect for a lot of patients, mostly concentrated on my earlobes, neck, face, upper chest and upper back, and my armpits. They are mostly small, individual, red, and pimple-like. They are itchy but not terribly so. The worst of it seems to be located under my armpits where the rash is more concentrated, raw, and sore. I started with a prescription strength cortisone cream at .1%, but it doesn't seem to be managing it so I got another lotion called in today which I will start ASAP.

So far to date, the rash is the worst of it but we'll see what each day and next week's 2nd infusion brings. I am scheduled for the 2nd infusion on December 10th. I am more nervous about this next one as the doctor indicated they see more effects with each treatment as the build up and change to the immune system is cumulative.

I will continue to update you all as I move through this journey. It is scary but something I feel I need to do to try to recapture a little peace of mind — if there is such a thing with melanoma! Also, I would love to hear anyone else's experience on Yervoy if you're Stage 3 and underoing treatment.

Peace, healing, and comfort to everyone fighting this wicked disease.

Best,

Michele

Viewing 20 reply threads
    • Replies
        mkirkland
        Participant

Hi Michele – thank you sharing!! I am also a stage 3A and I am in the process of seeking approval from my insurance company for the 3mg dose. From what I have read, some do and some don't. I guess it just all depends on the company. I would love to follow your journey and experience. Please keep me/us posted!! 

My email is [email protected] if you ever want to reach out. 

Best of luck to u! 

mkirkland
          Participant

Hi Michele – thank you sharing!! I am also a stage 3A and I am in the process of seeking approval from my insurance company for the 3mg dose. From what I have read, some do and some don't. I guess it just all depends on the company. I would love to follow your journey and experience. Please keep me/us posted!! 

Best of luck to u! 

mkirkland
            Participant

Best of luck to u! 

jenny22
              Participant

HI Michele-

Happy to hear round 1 has been somewhat manageable.

I will be anxious to follow your path and hope you handle the treatments well.  As I mentioned in a prior post I met iwth Dr. Schucter last year after my first recurrence…. She wanted to treat with IPI back then, before it was even approved…..but when I met with 4 other mel experts no one agreed…so i went the vaccine route.

Now at recurrence # 2…..but my onc doesnt want to give me ipi due to short bout with colitis after the vaccine trial. She is now reccommending radiation for local control and possilble leukine for systemic.

Wonder what Dr. Shucter would say now!

Please keep us posted as you progress through the treament. 

Wishing you all the best!

jenny22
                Participant

HI Michele-

I will be anxious to follow your path and hope you handle the treatments well.  As I mentioned in a prior post I met iwth Dr. Schucter last year after my first recurrence…. She wanted to treat with IPI back then, before it was even approved…..but when I met with 4 other mel experts no one agreed…so i went the vaccine route.

Now at recurrence # 2…..but my onc doesnt want to give me ipi due to short bout with colitis after the vaccine trial. She is now reccommending radiation for local control and possilble leukine for systemic.

micheley
                    Participant

Hi Jenny and mkirkland. Feel free to email me at [email protected] — it is my general email account that I check frequently. I wish you both good luck with your decisions and next steps. The hardest part of all of this for me has been what decisions to make. I am so afraid of making the "wrong" decision that it's been almost unbearable! What doctor? What institution? What treatment? Surgery? 2nd opinion? and on and on. It is quite apparent that my life is in my hands. My decisions will determine my path… a very scary thought. I need to make "big girl" decisions and it is hard indeed. Of course, once the decisions are made, it does alleviate some of the stress.

So,right or wrong, I have committed to taking the Yervoy at 10mg. I actually thought about talking to Dr. Schuchter about lowering the dosage at my next infusion but as of today I don't think I'm going to do that. I am going to stick this out until there are more serious side effects or I finish the four infusions — whichever comes first. Then, if MM does recur, I can say I did everything I could at the time that was comfortable for me.

I wish you all the best as well. Feel free to reach out anytime.

Best,
                      Michele

micheley
                      Participant

Hi Jenny and mkirkland. Feel free to email me at [email protected] — it is my general email account that I check frequently. I wish you both good luck with your decisions and next steps. The hardest part of all of this for me has been what decisions to make. I am so afraid of making the "wrong" decision that it's been almost unbearable! What doctor? What institution? What treatment? Surgery? 2nd opinion? and on and on. It is quite apparent that my life is in my hands. My decisions will determine my path… a very scary thought. I need to make "big girl" decisions and it is hard indeed. Of course, once the decisions are made, it does alleviate some of the stress.

So,right or wrong, I have committed to taking the Yervoy at 10mg. I actually thought about talking to Dr. Schuchter about lowering the dosage at my next infusion but as of today I don't think I'm going to do that. I am going to stick this out until there are more serious side effects or I finish the four infusions — whichever comes first. Then, if MM does recur, I can say I did everything I could at the time that was comfortable for me.

Best,
                        Michele

mjanssentx
                        Participant

Michele – glad you came back to keep us informed.  I was also a 3A who has done the Interferon route for the past year (six more shots to go…going to be great drug free XMAS). 

So in essence it was the insurance that drove you to 10mg not your doctor?  Don't you hate that.?

Some thoughts based upon reading this forum for a year.  If you have any side effects, the doctor can immediately reduce the dosage.  I lowered my Interferon by 25% after about 8 months after discussions with my doctor.  When I spoke with my doctor about Yervoy last visit he would have prescribed the 3 mg dosage and fought it out with the insurance companies for me.

Bottom line…really hope this adjunctive appraoch works for you.  I would have done the same exact path as you if it had been approved a year ago.  

But you still have to be in control of your own treatment.  If it was me…and they put 10 mg in the bag…I would shut off the IV infusor at half way through the time and walk out feeling like I did the right thing.   (and I bet your doctor will help you do the right thing with a bit of straight talk)

Michel

micheley
                          Participant

Hi Michel,

Thanks for your reponse. I am so happy to hear you are almost through your Interferon treatments. I have read how hard it can be.  As I mentioned in an earlier post, Penn doesn't even recommend it anymore. I was left with a watchful waiting approach or to try and find a clinical trial. Waiting just wasn't comfortable for me and trying to find a trial sounded daunting and very expensive. So, when the Yervoy was approved and presented to me I felt like it was something with potential benefit. Yes. I was not thrilled about the 10 mg dosing side effects but the insurance wasn't budging and my doctor said the 3mg dosing just didn't have clinical proof (yet) to back it for Stage 3 recurrence reduction. Apparently, there is a study going on for Stage 3 with 3mg dosing to see if there is a proven benefit but that won't be done and the results released for quite some time.

So, barring major side effects, I am going stick with the 10 mg dosing. I hope that this gives me some benefit but as we know there are no 100% guarantees for next month, next year, or the year after for any of us with melonoma — or not. I will do my best to just stay in today and not worry about tomorrow but it is a challenge.

I will continue to update everyone as i continue on to my next treatment next Thursday.

Peace,

Michele

micheley
                            Participant

Hi Michel,

Thanks for your reponse. I am so happy to hear you are almost through your Interferon treatments. I have read how hard it can be.  As I mentioned in an earlier post, Penn doesn't even recommend it anymore. I was left with a watchful waiting approach or to try and find a clinical trial. Waiting just wasn't comfortable for me and trying to find a trial sounded daunting and very expensive. So, when the Yervoy was approved and presented to me I felt like it was something with potential benefit. Yes. I was not thrilled about the 10 mg dosing side effects but the insurance wasn't budging and my doctor said the 3mg dosing just didn't have clinical proof (yet) to back it for Stage 3 recurrence reduction. Apparently, there is a study going on for Stage 3 with 3mg dosing to see if there is a proven benefit but that won't be done and the results released for quite some time.

So, barring major side effects, I am going stick with the 10 mg dosing. I hope that this gives me some benefit but as we know there are no 100% guarantees for next month, next year, or the year after for any of us with melonoma — or not. I will do my best to just stay in today and not worry about tomorrow but it is a challenge.

I will continue to update everyone as i continue on to my next treatment next Thursday.

Peace,

Michele

micheley
                              Participant

Hi Michel,

Peace,

Michele

mjanssentx
                                Participant

Michele – glad you came back to keep us informed.  I was also a 3A who has done the Interferon route for the past year (six more shots to go…going to be great drug free XMAS). 

So in essence it was the insurance that drove you to 10mg not your doctor?  Don't you hate that.?

Some thoughts based upon reading this forum for a year.  If you have any side effects, the doctor can immediately reduce the dosage.  I lowered my Interferon by 25% after about 8 months after discussions with my doctor.  When I spoke with my doctor about Yervoy last visit he would have prescribed the 3 mg dosage and fought it out with the insurance companies for me.

Bottom line…really hope this adjunctive appraoch works for you.  I would have done the same exact path as you if it had been approved a year ago.  

But you still have to be in control of your own treatment.  If it was me…and they put 10 mg in the bag…I would shut off the IV infusor at half way through the time and walk out feeling like I did the right thing.   (and I bet your doctor will help you do the right thing with a bit of straight talk)

Michel

mjanssentx
                                  Participant

Michel

jsagraves
                                    Participant

Hey Michele,

I've been reading through the post on this forum about Ipi / Yervoy, as my doctor as given that to me as an option.  I'm 3b and have had full node removal in my neck and under my arm 3 weeks ago.  All these nodes came back negative, which gives me hope that we've gotten out in front of this disease.

​Your post about make the "wrong" decision jumped out to me. We've all been through the process where we realize there is no 12-step program to being healed of this disease.  There is no road map to be cured.  There are options and each of us must decide which options are best for each of us, knowing full well those options may or may not be effective against this disease.  We're all trying to throw as much as we feel necessary at our disease and hope for the best.  I hope you find peace in your decisions…making the best decision possible for you with the information you have available at that time.  Hind sight will always bring "what ifs" if there is reoccurence.  Personally, I don't believe there is just one "right" decision. There are multiple roads we can take to get us to our destination for healing. This takes off the pressure of making the "right" decision and avoiding the "wrong" one.  I pray you're able to avoid the doubt of decisions past, should there be reoccurence.  For me personally, I've ruled out interferon and am leaning away from Yervoy at this time, as I'm stage 3 and get the impression that Yervoy is just as effective if I were to advance to stage 4.  I'm leaning toward full observation, possibly with a clinical trial, if I come across one I qualify for.

​Prayers with you and your decision.

jsagraves
                                      Participant

Hey Michele,

I've been reading through the post on this forum about Ipi / Yervoy, as my doctor as given that to me as an option.  I'm 3b and have had full node removal in my neck and under my arm 3 weeks ago.  All these nodes came back negative, which gives me hope that we've gotten out in front of this disease.

​Your post about make the "wrong" decision jumped out to me. We've all been through the process where we realize there is no 12-step program to being healed of this disease.  There is no road map to be cured.  There are options and each of us must decide which options are best for each of us, knowing full well those options may or may not be effective against this disease.  We're all trying to throw as much as we feel necessary at our disease and hope for the best.  I hope you find peace in your decisions…making the best decision possible for you with the information you have available at that time.  Hind sight will always bring "what ifs" if there is reoccurence.  Personally, I don't believe there is just one "right" decision. There are multiple roads we can take to get us to our destination for healing. This takes off the pressure of making the "right" decision and avoiding the "wrong" one.  I pray you're able to avoid the doubt of decisions past, should there be reoccurence.  For me personally, I've ruled out interferon and am leaning away from Yervoy at this time, as I'm stage 3 and get the impression that Yervoy is just as effective if I were to advance to stage 4.  I'm leaning toward full observation, possibly with a clinical trial, if I come across one I qualify for.

gregor913
                                        Participant
                                          I’m 3b newly diagnosed. My doc said to get treated sysmstically. I think I would take the yervoy In hopes of getting those few cancer cells if any are floating around before they start to multiply. I also had the armpit disection a few days ago. I meet up with him thurs to see my choices. I am also against interferon.
                                          gregor913
                                          Participant
                                            I’m 3b newly diagnosed. My doc said to get treated sysmstically. I think I would take the yervoy In hopes of getting those few cancer cells if any are floating around before they start to multiply. I also had the armpit disection a few days ago. I meet up with him thurs to see my choices. I am also against interferon.
                                            gregor913
                                            Participant
                                              Just curious how many levels did they take out?
                                              gregor913
                                              Participant
                                                gregor913
                                                Participant
                                                  gregor913
                                                  Participant
                                                    jsagraves
                                                    Participant

Hey Michele,

micheley
                                                      Participant

Best,
                                                        Michele

jenny22
                                                      Participant

HI Michele-

gregor913
                                                        Participant
                                                          I’m stafe 3b and in same boat. I would want the 3mg but after hearing your story I wonder if my insurance company will deny it. I’m really scared about taking the 10mg. Not sure why the MG would be more for stage 3. Anyone else out there get thru the 10mg dose.
                                                          gregor913
                                                          Participant
                                                            I’m stafe 3b and in same boat. I would want the 3mg but after hearing your story I wonder if my insurance company will deny it. I’m really scared about taking the 10mg. Not sure why the MG would be more for stage 3. Anyone else out there get thru the 10mg dose.
                                                            gregor913
                                                            Participant
                                                              swissie
                                                              Participant

Hi Michele,

I wa one of the participants of the original trial with stage III, with the 10mg. At that moment (2008) there was no other option except from interferon, so I participated.

It was a double blind with 50% getting the ipi and the other 50% getting a placebo.
                                                                At the beginning I did have the idea I received the actual medication (rash, tiredness, headaches) but off course I was not sure.

I had a colitis after my 4th infusion and I can tell you, in my case it was very, very obvious it was colitis and nothing else. I have never felt anything like that. Can't really explain anymore, but when I was laying on the floor next to the toilet I knew this was not a normal stomach problem.
                                                                I received steroids and it was gone within a couple of hours.

Wish all of you all the best.
                                                                I am one of the lucky 50% in the 5 years survival statistics, not sure if that's due to ipi, but I'm still here so who cares…

swissie
                                                                Participant

Hi Michele,

I wa one of the participants of the original trial with stage III, with the 10mg. At that moment (2008) there was no other option except from interferon, so I participated.

It was a double blind with 50% getting the ipi and the other 50% getting a placebo.
                                                                  At the beginning I did have the idea I received the actual medication (rash, tiredness, headaches) but off course I was not sure.

I had a colitis after my 4th infusion and I can tell you, in my case it was very, very obvious it was colitis and nothing else. I have never felt anything like that. Can't really explain anymore, but when I was laying on the floor next to the toilet I knew this was not a normal stomach problem.

I am one of the lucky 50% in the 5 years survival statistics, not sure if that's due to ipi, but I'm still here so who cares…

swissie
                                                                  Participant

Hi Michele,

gregor913
                                                                    Participant
                                                                      Colitis caused by yervoy. Is it permanant or do drugs cure it eventually?
                                                                      gregor913
                                                                      Participant
                                                                        gregor913
                                                                        Participant
                                                                            swissie
                                                                            Participant

It is cured by steroids. In my case within a couple of hours!

swissie
                                                                              Participant

swissie
                                                                                Participant

Gene_S
                                                                                Participant

Hello Michele,

My husband took the IPI  10 MG/KG for the first 12 weeks the 4 infustions and then for over 2 years the maintenance dosage (10 MG?KG) every 12 weeks  He has been NED for over 3 years and he was Stage IV.

If you would like to read more about his journey check out his profile.  Everybody responds differently but I would try it with a open mind and not all the stress about was it going to cause a bad reaction because anyone of these drugs can cause a bad reaction.

In answer to the question about does the colitis leave I would say yes it will leave after the other medications.

If the Leukine medication you are talking about in your threads he also took GM-CSF which is a Leukine at the same time he took the Ipi.

Judy (loving wife of Gene Stage IV in Oct. 2010 then Ipi clinical trial started in Mar. 2011 and NED.  He quit the medication of the clinical trial in Dec. 2013 as he had been NED since Oct. 2012.)

Gene_S
                                                                                  Participant

Hello Michele,

My husband took the IPI  10 MG/KG for the first 12 weeks the 4 infustions and then for over 2 years the maintenance dosage (10 MG?KG) every 12 weeks  He has been NED for over 3 years and he was Stage IV.

If you would like to read more about his journey check out his profile.  Everybody responds differently but I would try it with a open mind and not all the stress about was it going to cause a bad reaction because anyone of these drugs can cause a bad reaction.

In answer to the question about does the colitis leave I would say yes it will leave after the other medications.

If the Leukine medication you are talking about in your threads he also took GM-CSF which is a Leukine at the same time he took the Ipi.

Judy (loving wife of Gene Stage IV in Oct. 2010 then Ipi clinical trial started in Mar. 2011 and NED.  He quit the medication of the clinical trial in Dec. 2013 as he had been NED since Oct. 2012.)

Gene_S
                                                                                    Participant

Hello Michele,

jennunicorn
                                                                                      Participant

Hi Michele,

Thank you for your update. December 10th I get my first Yervoy infusion, 10mg/kg for my stage 3b. Of course I am nervous about how my body will take it and what kind of side effects I will have. Reading your post helps me prepare for my treatment. I will look for more updates as you do your next infusion and if your side effects get worse. I hope they continue to be manageable for you.

All the best,

Jenn

jennunicorn
                                                                                        Participant

Hi Michele,

Thank you for your update. December 10th I get my first Yervoy infusion, 10mg/kg for my stage 3b. Of course I am nervous about how my body will take it and what kind of side effects I will have. Reading your post helps me prepare for my treatment. I will look for more updates as you do your next infusion and if your side effects get worse. I hope they continue to be manageable for you.

All the best,

Jenn

jennunicorn
                                                                                          Participant

Hi Michele,

All the best,

Jenn

Viewing 20 reply threads
                                                                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics