The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Stage 3 treatment and working

Forums General Melanoma Community Stage 3 treatment and working

Participant
      So doc said at best my fiances melanoma is stage three untill we get scan we dont know if its worse he said stage 3 at best cause biopsy of lymphvnode was possitive. We have twp weeks full of doc apps which is a damper on his job and our financials. With treatment and doc apps do most of you take disability or ss?
    Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        Aloha14
        Participant

Has he met with his HR dept about disability? The criteria for approval of disability would probably depend on where you reside. Does his job allow him to work some hours from home or make up hours taken off for doctor app'ts by working off hours? 

Aloha14
          Participant

Has he met with his HR dept about disability? The criteria for approval of disability would probably depend on where you reside. Does his job allow him to work some hours from home or make up hours taken off for doctor app'ts by working off hours? 

Aloha14
            Participant

Toby0987
                Participant

If he can work then disability isn't needed. He may have  to take some time off for recovery (week or so) unless he is in a labor intensive job. Otherwise the surgery is fairly minor and you will be out of there the same day or at worst the next day. I've found the waiting and wondering to be the worst-the actual surgery is fairly easy -speaking only from the point of view of just having Mel on my forearm and armpit node

Toby0987
                  Participant

If he can work then disability isn't needed. He may have  to take some time off for recovery (week or so) unless he is in a labor intensive job. Otherwise the surgery is fairly minor and you will be out of there the same day or at worst the next day. I've found the waiting and wondering to be the worst-the actual surgery is fairly easy -speaking only from the point of view of just having Mel on my forearm and armpit node

Toby0987
                    Participant

Bmine102793
                      Participant
                        We have the paper work for it from HR we get all his scans this week because biospy after sugery showed melanoma doc said its at best stage e but is concerned because my fiance has had a constant cough for a few months as well and he named 3 different treatments the last being the hardest one for most to handle but because he is 39 and has a good gealth history he said he may be a good canidate. Hes a forkilt operater and runs shopping and reciving working 60 hrs a week
                        Bmine102793
                        Participant
                          We have the paper work for it from HR we get all his scans this week because biospy after sugery showed melanoma doc said its at best stage e but is concerned because my fiance has had a constant cough for a few months as well and he named 3 different treatments the last being the hardest one for most to handle but because he is 39 and has a good gealth history he said he may be a good canidate. Hes a forkilt operater and runs shopping and reciving working 60 hrs a week
                          Bmine102793
                          Participant
                          stevenallenschwartz
                          Participant

I think you will find that the treatmens are tolerable for the most part and you can work. 

stevenallenschwartz
                            Participant

I think you will find that the treatmens are tolerable for the most part and you can work. 

stevenallenschwartz
                              Participant

jennunicorn
                                Participant

I have never taken disability, I have a flexible job and employer. After the intitial bunch of appointments things will wind down with less appointments leaving more time for work. With treatment everyone is different but I think most of us continue to work through getting treatment. I take the day of my infusions off work, but I have sat with people in the infusion clinic who come from work and go back to work right after. When and if he chooses a treatment plan, then he can see how he feels once he starts that and will know the level of work he's comfortable doing. Fatigue is the main side effect of all of the treatments, some get it worse than others, but other side effects are not a given, so it's hard to say beforehand how he will feel. Right now, take care of these appts, I wouldn't jump to disability yet since that would mean he would have to quit his job and that might be jumping the gun a bit.

Mark_DC
                                    Participant

I agree with Jenn (as always). The difficult part is all the appointments, extra appointments for blood tests or lymphedema or other stuff. Also on infusion days there are almost always delays and occasionally news. So i find it best to take the whole day off on infusion day (maybe work at home before or after). So for me that means one day off every three weeks, with random appointments in between. Early on i thought i made need to take a long time off, but i think most of us work through it. See celestes blog for how she handled her treatment years ago!

Mark_DC
                                      Participant

I agree with Jenn (as always). The difficult part is all the appointments, extra appointments for blood tests or lymphedema or other stuff. Also on infusion days there are almost always delays and occasionally news. So i find it best to take the whole day off on infusion day (maybe work at home before or after). So for me that means one day off every three weeks, with random appointments in between. Early on i thought i made need to take a long time off, but i think most of us work through it. See celestes blog for how she handled her treatment years ago!

Mark_DC
                                        Participant

Ps i forgot to mention that you will need to take time off if you have an operation like wide excision. I was on crutches and also in my case it was best to keep my legs raised, so i took a couple of weeks off work. But once over this and fhe many appointments things can return to some kind of normal

Mark_DC
                                          Participant

Ps i forgot to mention that you will need to take time off if you have an operation like wide excision. I was on crutches and also in my case it was best to keep my legs raised, so i took a couple of weeks off work. But once over this and fhe many appointments things can return to some kind of normal

Mark_DC
                                            Participant

Mark_DC
                                              Participant

jennunicorn
                                              Participant

I have never taken disability, I have a flexible job and employer. After the intitial bunch of appointments things will wind down with less appointments leaving more time for work. With treatment everyone is different but I think most of us continue to work through getting treatment. I take the day of my infusions off work, but I have sat with people in the infusion clinic who come from work and go back to work right after. When and if he chooses a treatment plan, then he can see how he feels once he starts that and will know the level of work he's comfortable doing. Fatigue is the main side effect of all of the treatments, some get it worse than others, but other side effects are not a given, so it's hard to say beforehand how he will feel. Right now, take care of these appts, I wouldn't jump to disability yet since that would mean he would have to quit his job and that might be jumping the gun a bit.

jennunicorn
                                                Participant

Polymath
                                                  Participant

If your husband can get some short-term disability compensation through employer, that may be wise given your concerns.  Until scans are done, and final staging occurs, it's too early to plan on anything more than the current requirements, and the likely lymph node surgery will not have much impact being in the axilla area.  Regarding federal long-term disability, again, final staging and treatment options would need to be determined, but you should know that when and if he ever qualified, you do not receive any benefits until about 7 months after approval, and he cannot work during that time so there is a tremendous financial burden imposed on those who ultimately do go into permanent disability status, most often because of stage IV diagnosis with so many unknowns ahead.

Gary

Polymath
                                                    Participant

If your husband can get some short-term disability compensation through employer, that may be wise given your concerns.  Until scans are done, and final staging occurs, it's too early to plan on anything more than the current requirements, and the likely lymph node surgery will not have much impact being in the axilla area.  Regarding federal long-term disability, again, final staging and treatment options would need to be determined, but you should know that when and if he ever qualified, you do not receive any benefits until about 7 months after approval, and he cannot work during that time so there is a tremendous financial burden imposed on those who ultimately do go into permanent disability status, most often because of stage IV diagnosis with so many unknowns ahead.

Gary

Polymath
                                                      Participant

Gary

Mamapegela
                                                        Participant

I have intermittent FMLA- papers filled out willingly by my oncologist.  Then if I have an intolerable schedule of treatment or scans, appointments in a week I can take a day off with no repercussions.  I am lucky to have a pretty easy to work with schedule being an RN and working  three 12hr shifts a week, so trading around with co-workers has enabled me to only use the FMLA a couple of times (other than when I had my CLND and lung biopsy for which I took regular short-term disability), but I am glad it is there. 

Peggy

Mamapegela
                                                          Participant

I have intermittent FMLA- papers filled out willingly by my oncologist.  Then if I have an intolerable schedule of treatment or scans, appointments in a week I can take a day off with no repercussions.  I am lucky to have a pretty easy to work with schedule being an RN and working  three 12hr shifts a week, so trading around with co-workers has enabled me to only use the FMLA a couple of times (other than when I had my CLND and lung biopsy for which I took regular short-term disability), but I am glad it is there. 

Peggy

Mamapegela
                                                            Participant

Peggy

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics