The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Stage 3 to 4 Question

Forums General Melanoma Community Stage 3 to 4 Question

Participant

This might be a silly question, but wondering for those who were diagnosed stage 3 initially and are now stage 4, how long before you ended up in stage 4? 

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        melj
        Participant

I was stage 3 in 1996 then NED for 18 years before a local recurrence in 2014. Progressed to stage 4a in January 2016. So I guess I'm doing pretty well.

Mel J

melj
          Participant

I was stage 3 in 1996 then NED for 18 years before a local recurrence in 2014. Progressed to stage 4a in January 2016. So I guess I'm doing pretty well.

Mel J

melj
            Participant

Mel J

Gene_S
              Participant

Hello,

My husband started out at Stage III in Jan. 2008 and progressed to Stage IV in Oct. 2010.  The SNB was negative.  He started a clinical trial in March 2011, became NED in Oct. 2012.

Judy loving wife of Gene (Stage IV and now NED for over 3 years)

Gene_S
                Participant

Hello,

My husband started out at Stage III in Jan. 2008 and progressed to Stage IV in Oct. 2010.  The SNB was negative.  He started a clinical trial in March 2011, became NED in Oct. 2012.

Gene_S
                  Participant

Hello,

BrianP
                    Participant

I think you'll find a great range of responses on this one.  For unknown reasons some people go years and years before progressing, some progress in very short order, and of course some never progress.  It could be a result of the genetic makeup of the patient's melanoma or that patient's immune system is slowing the progression.  To answer your question, in my case I was stage III in Sep 11.  Did radiation and then interferon from Dec 11 to Dec 12.  Progressed to Stage IV in Apr 12 so it took me 17 months to go from stage III to stage IV.

Brian

BrianP
                      Participant

I think you'll find a great range of responses on this one.  For unknown reasons some people go years and years before progressing, some progress in very short order, and of course some never progress.  It could be a result of the genetic makeup of the patient's melanoma or that patient's immune system is slowing the progression.  To answer your question, in my case I was stage III in Sep 11.  Did radiation and then interferon from Dec 11 to Dec 12.  Progressed to Stage IV in Apr 12 so it took me 17 months to go from stage III to stage IV.

Brian

BrianP
                        Participant

Brian

kpcollins31
                          Participant

Sep 2012 for stage 3 to stage 4 in Jan 2014 so 16 months in my case. I feel blessed in that I remain NED today following that stage 4 surgery (bowel resection) with no additional treatments.

Kevin

pookerpb
                              Participant
                                Husband stage 2B in 2008. 4mm nodular melanoma on calf. Stage 4 2013 to small bowel. 4 trials and 2 small bowel resections. Progression still continues.
                                pookerpb
                                Participant
                                  Husband stage 2B in 2008. 4mm nodular melanoma on calf. Stage 4 2013 to small bowel. 4 trials and 2 small bowel resections. Progression still continues.
                                  pookerpb
                                  Participant
                                  kpcollins31
                                  Participant

Sep 2012 for stage 3 to stage 4 in Jan 2014 so 16 months in my case. I feel blessed in that I remain NED today following that stage 4 surgery (bowel resection) with no additional treatments.

Kevin

kpcollins31
                                    Participant

Kevin

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics