The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Stage 3 options ~ trying to understand insurance coverage

Forums General Melanoma Community Stage 3 options ~ trying to understand insurance coverage

Participant

Sorry to be posting again but I have more questions ….

background Stage 3a ~ do not qualify for clinical trial, only 1 lymph node positive, BRAF negative

was told interferon was my only option

was told I "don't want to do Yervoy, Stage 3 dosage too toxic"

I called my insurance company to see if any adjuvant therapy is covered by my insurance.

Yervoy ~ 10 ml is covered but needs pre-authorization

Keytruda ~ covered, no pre-authorization needed, $25 for 21 day supply

Opdivo ~ covered, no pre-authorization needed, $25 for 21 day supply

Am I mising something?? 

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        Lee Parlier
        Participant

As we talked before, I went through the same thing. I am not sure which avenue is the best as far as immunotherapy treatments but your Dr. is saying like mine did, interferon is the only option when it obviously isn't. 

I have heard the horror stories about interferon with no data that it is beneficial. I can only say how I felt. 

If yervoy was my best option at being NED or increasing OSR then I want to at least try it. If it makes me sick or I can't tolerate it then let's go to plan b. I don't want to start with plan b. I would never presume to tell anyone which choice to make but if you feel strong enough about one of the immunotherapies, then stand by it. 

My Dr. said yervoy 10 mg is too toxic, I finally said late stage melanoma is more toxic. Finally he respected my wishes for my choice of treatment. I do not know if I am a responder yet. But I do know that interferon was not going to help. i have been in your shoes but my Dr. can't believe I finished 3 treatments. Stick to your guns and maybe you may seek another Dr. Good luck!!

And no, you are not missing anything!!!

Lee Parlier
          Participant

As we talked before, I went through the same thing. I am not sure which avenue is the best as far as immunotherapy treatments but your Dr. is saying like mine did, interferon is the only option when it obviously isn't. 

I have heard the horror stories about interferon with no data that it is beneficial. I can only say how I felt. 

If yervoy was my best option at being NED or increasing OSR then I want to at least try it. If it makes me sick or I can't tolerate it then let's go to plan b. I don't want to start with plan b. I would never presume to tell anyone which choice to make but if you feel strong enough about one of the immunotherapies, then stand by it. 

My Dr. said yervoy 10 mg is too toxic, I finally said late stage melanoma is more toxic. Finally he respected my wishes for my choice of treatment. I do not know if I am a responder yet. But I do know that interferon was not going to help. i have been in your shoes but my Dr. can't believe I finished 3 treatments. Stick to your guns and maybe you may seek another Dr. Good luck!!

Lee Parlier
            Participant

geriakt
              Participant

Regarding Yervoy at stage 3 the approved dose is 10mg/kg based on study results on stage 3. Your doctor still has the option to lower the dose down to 3mg,/kg.

Opdivo and Keytuda are not approved by the FDA for stage 3 and your insurance will not cover it. 4 infusions of Yervoy cost $120,000 so I do not think you will have only a $25 deductable per dose. There are additional costs to your treatment like infusion room at $1000-$1500 per dose, blood tests and doctor exams after every treatment. You will also require scans 3-6 month periods.

This is just the minimum costs as long as you do not have side effects. If the Yervoy damaged a gland or damages an organ you will be looking at some long term care costs. 

Stage 3b melanoma has a 50/50 chance or recurance. Interferon will not cure your cancer nor will it stop recurance. Standard chemo would not be a good idea. You do not have anything to treat with radiation. 

Your only option is interferon or Yervoy or just do nothing and visit your dr every 3 months. 

Tom 

Lee Parlier
                  Participant

That is how my Dr. explained exactly. I forgot to mention he did try to get me to take a reduced dosage as you mentioned. He read the standard odds etc. as you stated. My options were: 1:Do nothing-2: interferon or 3:yervoy.  I wasn't sure about the other options. 

ed williams
                    Participant

Lee, you can also look at getting into a clinical trial of Pd-1 drug!!!Ed

ed williams
                      Participant

ed williams
                        Participant

Lee Parlier
                          Participant

That is how my Dr. explained exactly. I forgot to mention he did try to get me to take a reduced dosage as you mentioned. He read the standard odds etc. as you stated. My options were: 1:Do nothing-2: interferon or 3:yervoy.  I wasn't sure about the other options. 

Lee Parlier
                            Participant

jennunicorn
                              Participant

Pricing all depends on your insurance and also there are programs you can sign up for to get the drugs for free through the pharmacutical company. My onc automatically signed me up for that, so I have not paid a since penny for Yervoy. I pay $130 every time I get an infusion, the cost of infusion room. $35 for the full blood panel every time. And $70 to see my onc before the infusion. Most expensive thing are the PET/CT scans, which run me $450 each time. I am SO glad I was "lucky" enough to get diagnosed in November when it was time to decide whether to keep my current health insurance or switch. I switched and I pay a higher premium, but it's incredibly less expensive than if I had my other insurance which did not cover much. Bottom line, any major diagnosis is going to cost a lot of money, but there are ways around the massive price tags usually.

Also, the doctor is not the one to always call the shots on whether the patient gets 10mg or 3mg. Some doctors have been successful with fighting insurance companies for the patient to get them on the lower dose, but it's really up to the insurance company to approve it. 

jennunicorn
                                Participant

Pricing all depends on your insurance and also there are programs you can sign up for to get the drugs for free through the pharmacutical company. My onc automatically signed me up for that, so I have not paid a since penny for Yervoy. I pay $130 every time I get an infusion, the cost of infusion room. $35 for the full blood panel every time. And $70 to see my onc before the infusion. Most expensive thing are the PET/CT scans, which run me $450 each time. I am SO glad I was "lucky" enough to get diagnosed in November when it was time to decide whether to keep my current health insurance or switch. I switched and I pay a higher premium, but it's incredibly less expensive than if I had my other insurance which did not cover much. Bottom line, any major diagnosis is going to cost a lot of money, but there are ways around the massive price tags usually.

Also, the doctor is not the one to always call the shots on whether the patient gets 10mg or 3mg. Some doctors have been successful with fighting insurance companies for the patient to get them on the lower dose, but it's really up to the insurance company to approve it. 

jennunicorn
                                  Participant

geriakt
                                  Participant

Regarding Yervoy at stage 3 the approved dose is 10mg/kg based on study results on stage 3. Your doctor still has the option to lower the dose down to 3mg,/kg.

Opdivo and Keytuda are not approved by the FDA for stage 3 and your insurance will not cover it. 4 infusions of Yervoy cost $120,000 so I do not think you will have only a $25 deductable per dose. There are additional costs to your treatment like infusion room at $1000-$1500 per dose, blood tests and doctor exams after every treatment. You will also require scans 3-6 month periods.

This is just the minimum costs as long as you do not have side effects. If the Yervoy damaged a gland or damages an organ you will be looking at some long term care costs. 

Stage 3b melanoma has a 50/50 chance or recurance. Interferon will not cure your cancer nor will it stop recurance. Standard chemo would not be a good idea. You do not have anything to treat with radiation. 

Your only option is interferon or Yervoy or just do nothing and visit your dr every 3 months. 

Tom 

geriakt
                                    Participant

Tom 

Polymath
                                      Participant

Hello Laulamb,

Echoing Jenn above, the cost of treatment, including the very expensive Yervoy and most all the common melanoma drugs and immunotherapy, is entirely dependent on the insurance coverage you have.  As a stage IV patient, I knew I would be a "heavy user" of the system, from the drug therapies, to the numerous scans, visits, tests, and other drugs/charges.  I purchased the top of the line platinum plan and literally everything is covered virtually 100% after you pay the maximum out-of-pocket expense outlined in the policy.  My premiums went up dramatically this past year, as well as doubling the the out-of-pocket threshold.  But no matter, once you reach the threshold (for me it's simply the first infusion of the year) I am covered 100% for everything after that.  Yes premiums are high, but compared to the cost of treatment its a no-brainer.  Of course the very ill are the reason everyone's premiums are rising but the fact we can even buy insurance is the silver lining in the ACA.

Most important is making the right treatment choice which is Interferon or Yervoy for Stage 3.  If you have been reading here you should know the choice is clear.

Gary

Polymath
                                        Participant

Hello Laulamb,

Echoing Jenn above, the cost of treatment, including the very expensive Yervoy and most all the common melanoma drugs and immunotherapy, is entirely dependent on the insurance coverage you have.  As a stage IV patient, I knew I would be a "heavy user" of the system, from the drug therapies, to the numerous scans, visits, tests, and other drugs/charges.  I purchased the top of the line platinum plan and literally everything is covered virtually 100% after you pay the maximum out-of-pocket expense outlined in the policy.  My premiums went up dramatically this past year, as well as doubling the the out-of-pocket threshold.  But no matter, once you reach the threshold (for me it's simply the first infusion of the year) I am covered 100% for everything after that.  Yes premiums are high, but compared to the cost of treatment its a no-brainer.  Of course the very ill are the reason everyone's premiums are rising but the fact we can even buy insurance is the silver lining in the ACA.

Most important is making the right treatment choice which is Interferon or Yervoy for Stage 3.  If you have been reading here you should know the choice is clear.

Gary

Polymath
                                          Participant

Hello Laulamb,

Gary

slh4448
                                            Participant

Hi,

Sorry about your diagnosis and the information that you were given regarding a clinical trial. I was curious if you are willing to say but why were you denied admission into a clinical trial? Was it because of 1 positive lymph node and a negative BRAF I'm assuming?? Also, where did you try to go to try and start on a clinical trial? If you're not comfortable saying I understand.

I ask because I have a "new" friend here in KC that is a business collegue of my brother. Her husband has melanoma and I believe it might be stage four but I don't know for sure and he may have more lymph nodes affected??? But he is in a trial involving immunotherapy that MD Anderson has initiated and designed, yet her husband receives the therapy here at KU Hospital per the protocol set forth by MD Anderson.

Just curious and willing to try and get some feedback from my friend for you if you would like regarding how the approval for clinical trials work, etc. Just let me know….

Stacy

slh4448
                                              Participant

Hi,

Sorry about your diagnosis and the information that you were given regarding a clinical trial. I was curious if you are willing to say but why were you denied admission into a clinical trial? Was it because of 1 positive lymph node and a negative BRAF I'm assuming?? Also, where did you try to go to try and start on a clinical trial? If you're not comfortable saying I understand.

I ask because I have a "new" friend here in KC that is a business collegue of my brother. Her husband has melanoma and I believe it might be stage four but I don't know for sure and he may have more lymph nodes affected??? But he is in a trial involving immunotherapy that MD Anderson has initiated and designed, yet her husband receives the therapy here at KU Hospital per the protocol set forth by MD Anderson.

Just curious and willing to try and get some feedback from my friend for you if you would like regarding how the approval for clinical trials work, etc. Just let me know….

Stacy

slh4448
                                                Participant

Hi,

Stacy

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics