The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Stage 2A

Forums General Melanoma Community Stage 2A

Participant

Hi,finally received my SLNB and WLE results back. The lymphnodes were clear and am now classified as state 2A instead of 3Acas they thought. Emory has been a wonderful choice for oncology. Is anyone else Stage 2A and if so, what has been your journey/ experiences thus far? I go for quarterly checks with my oncologist as well as dermatologist 

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        SABKLYN
        Participant

Great news!

Jamie1960
          Participant

Good news. Am "chasing it with a knife", being aggressive in WLE of any / all qualifying atypia. About 2-3 biopsies annually, usually with one procedure. Stay on it !

Treadlightly
              Participant

I had a stage 2A (Acral Lentiginous) Melanoma 7 years ago. It was pretty serious…involving a SLNB and WLE with a 2 cm margin that required reconstruction of my heel with a vascularized full-thickness skin graft.

After my initial treatment, I had check ups every 3 months for the first 3 years, and have since had twice per year check-ups. At all of these visits, my doctor has checked my lymph nodes by palpating and feeling for swelling. They also look me over very thoroughly and ask if I have noticed anything new pop-up. I am told that I will need to continue these check-ups twice per year for the rest of my life. When I have asked them…"what would a recurrence look like?…they usually say…"a hard lump under the skin."

Fortunately, my skin graft outcome was fantastic. Very few people ever notice that there is anything unusual about my foot, and I have no restrictions of limitations. I am able to do everything that I could do before my diagnosis.

Many Stage 2 patients ask if they can receive proactive CT or PET scans, but doctors generally will not order them for you routinely. However, if you ever present with symptoms they will authorize them for you. In my case, I actually began having a persistent headache a couple of years after my initial treatment, which lasted more than a month. At my next 3-month appointment, I told them about it and they ordered a CT scan of my brain. Thankfully the results were negative…meaning they found everything to be normal. The final diagnosis was that my eyesight was slipping (due to normal aging) and I needed to get prescription eye glasses. The headaches were believed to be due to eye fatigue.

At this point, the best thing you can do is to be vigilant in looking for any signs of new or spreading melanoma, along with avoiding all of the risk factors for skin cancer (limit sun exposure and no tanning beds, use sunscreen, take Vitamin D supplements, etc.).

In addition to the above, I occasionally take an herbal supplement called Turmeric (500 mg capsule). Turmeric is widely believed to be a way to fight cancer by supporting a healthy inflammatory response and providing a powerful antioxidant. I also prepare a daily breakfast smoothie that is loaded with antioxidants from all-natural foods that promote good health (blueberries, bananas, flax seed oil, avocado, & yogurt).

I hope this helps!

Best regards,

Mark 2A

Viewing 1 reply thread
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics