The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Stage 2 to stage 3 -18 yrs later!

Forums General Melanoma Community Stage 2 to stage 3 -18 yrs later!

Participant
      I was diagnosed in 2002 stage 2 and have been NED and healthy until this month when a lump I found in my groin was found to be positive for melanoma . I am a week post op ( both inguinal and iliac nodes removed ) and will go on Pembrolizumab (Keytrudra – I live in Uk) for a year.

My oncologist tells me it is rare for it to spread so many years later ,but it happens. He reassured me Melanoma treatments have progressed beyond recognition since my first primary 18 years ago and I feel optimistic. Over the years melanoma sank to the back of my thoughts but I never became complacent( so pleased to find this site is still running and so supportive). I hope my post doesn’t scare anyone but it is a shout out to be vigilant with your body so you recognise changes.

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        Mark_DC
        Participant
          Sorry for the bad news Jackie, but good that you were vigilant and caught this early, also that the NHS (I assume / hope) took it out quickly and also that the put you on pembro (I guess this is adjuvant treatment since now all removed?)..
          Keep an eye out for side effects but, aside from fatigue of differing degrees, for most of us they are not too bad.
          Best wishes Mark
          jessica_f
          Participant
            I’m in the same boat! I had a 14 year remission from stage 3 to 4. Went in IPI and NED again since 2015 with two scares since but fortunately no melanoma recurrences. Just wanted to wish you the best of luck with treatment.
        Viewing 1 reply thread
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics