The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Stage 1b – needing abdominal CT

Forums General Melanoma Community Stage 1b – needing abdominal CT

Participant

Hello,

I have been lurking on this site since my initial diagnosis about 18 months ago.  I had been doing much better mentally and emotionally but now after some non specific dull aching on my right side, I have to go for abdominal CT and I feel like I'm back to the beginning. 

I had an ultrasound done that showed 4 small areas on my liver that could be hemangioma or tumors. The largest one was 12mm across. The rest of the ultrasound was normal, no swollen nodes in my abdomen. My blood work is normal. 

My inital melanoma was on my right thigh. 0.95mm, non ulcerated, miotic rate 2. My SN biopsy was negative as well as a FNA. 

Had anyone ever gone through this? I am trying to be positive but am very scared!

TIA

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

I haven't gone through this, but liver hemangiomas and cysts are VERY common.  Another early stager I know went through something similar not long ago, and they found 7 or 8 hemangiomas in his liver.  Again, they had to rule them out as being metastasis, but they were nothing.  Please don't jump to conclusions on this one as the benign conditions are common!

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
          Participant

I haven't gone through this, but liver hemangiomas and cysts are VERY common.  Another early stager I know went through something similar not long ago, and they found 7 or 8 hemangiomas in his liver.  Again, they had to rule them out as being metastasis, but they were nothing.  Please don't jump to conclusions on this one as the benign conditions are common!

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
            Participant

Best wishes,

Janner

DonW
              Participant

Tia — With mostly good prognostic factors like a thin lesion and extremity location, the odds are definitely in your favor that this is a false alarm. I'm stage 1B also and I've had a few scares, such as when the doc called to tell me "nodules" were seen on my chest x-ray. I had a CT and it turned out to be nothing. But I was quite scared, just as you are now. Let's face it, melanoma is scary. I'm betting your CT will be clean.

Leigh
                  Participant

Hi Tia, I haven't looked here for a long time and rarely post. Just to let you know,  I have had exactly the same thing as you…mine was the opposite side but otherwise very similar story. 0.83 left foot, neg slnb. Dull aching pain left lower abdomen. Hemangioma on liver but nil else abn. (My surgeon was reluctant to investigate but I was very anxious like you and got a pet scan too which was probably very very unnecessary  and I'm not suggesting it but I was in a panicand the nodes were on the borderline…to be expected post infection/surgery).  I think this dull ache is due to the lymph system being disrupted and it is a little worse around menses with fluid retention I think. May be tmi but I hope it helps in some way to relieve the scan anxiety to know this can be absolutely nothing. It would be interesting to hear if this is common post sentinel node surgery.  Best wishes. 

Leigh
                    Participant

Hi Tia, I haven't looked here for a long time and rarely post. Just to let you know,  I have had exactly the same thing as you…mine was the opposite side but otherwise very similar story. 0.83 left foot, neg slnb. Dull aching pain left lower abdomen. Hemangioma on liver but nil else abn. (My surgeon was reluctant to investigate but I was very anxious like you and got a pet scan too which was probably very very unnecessary  and I'm not suggesting it but I was in a panicand the nodes were on the borderline…to be expected post infection/surgery).  I think this dull ache is due to the lymph system being disrupted and it is a little worse around menses with fluid retention I think. May be tmi but I hope it helps in some way to relieve the scan anxiety to know this can be absolutely nothing. It would be interesting to hear if this is common post sentinel node surgery.  Best wishes. 

Leigh
                      Participant

Leigh
                        Participant

Leigh
                          Participant

kab07011
                            Participant

How did the results turn out?

Are there any updates? Interested to hear. Thanks!

Tmh7
                              Participant

Hi – thanks for the replies. I had the CT and my doctor said they look like hemangioma but I need to go for a repeat US again to check size. Still having the pain on a daily basis so it's still a little worrisome for me! 

Tmh7
                                Participant

Hi – thanks for the replies. I had the CT and my doctor said they look like hemangioma but I need to go for a repeat US again to check size. Still having the pain on a daily basis so it's still a little worrisome for me! 

Tmh7
                                  Participant

kab07011
                                    Participant

kab07011
                                      Participant

Leigh
                                        Participant

DonW
                                        Participant

Tia — With mostly good prognostic factors like a thin lesion and extremity location, the odds are definitely in your favor that this is a false alarm. I'm stage 1B also and I've had a few scares, such as when the doc called to tell me "nodules" were seen on my chest x-ray. I had a CT and it turned out to be nothing. But I was quite scared, just as you are now. Let's face it, melanoma is scary. I'm betting your CT will be clean.

DonW
                                          Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics