The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Stage 1b melanoma

Forums General Melanoma Community Stage 1b melanoma

Participant

Hi everyone.  I am a 30 year old male and I was recently diagnosed with stage 1b melanoma/ mitotic scale 2/ Clarke level 2/ no ulceration.  They did not do a SNLB because the mole was located in the upper center part of my back.  Anyways,  I feel like I want to do a SNLB but I don't know if it's possible since I am a month out of wide local excision.   Anyways, can they reopen me up and check the lymph nodes?  I would appreciate if anyone with a similar situation can put in their input.  Thanks- Mark

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

The SLNB really should be done PRIOR to the WLE.  The WLE removes a large chunk of skin and may alter the lymphatic drainage paths.  The sentinel node prior to the WLE may no longer be the same node now.  It could be done, but the results would never be conclusive if the results were negative.  You don't state the depth of your lesion.

Janner
          Participant

The SLNB really should be done PRIOR to the WLE.  The WLE removes a large chunk of skin and may alter the lymphatic drainage paths.  The sentinel node prior to the WLE may no longer be the same node now.  It could be done, but the results would never be conclusive if the results were negative.  You don't state the depth of your lesion.

Janner
            Participant

Mkelley1
                Participant

Thanks Janet my depth is .63.  The docs told me that anything under .75 they don't want to do an SNLB.  However my mitosis was 2 which concerns me.  I don't really understand the whole mitosis thing I read about people saying they have a 5 or more and r doing fine.  Anways thanks for the response-mark

liberty04281
                  Participant
                    If your depth is .63, you are stage 1a.
                    liberty04281
                    Participant
                      Janner
                      Participant

Actually, that's not correct.  If he had a mitosis of <1, he would be stage 1a.  A mitosis of 2 makes this a stage 1b lesion.  The staging changed the end of 2010.  You are quoting the old staging criteria.  Stage 1a is a much more exclusive club, now.

Janner
                        Participant

Actually, that's not correct.  If he had a mitosis of <1, he would be stage 1a.  A mitosis of 2 makes this a stage 1b lesion.  The staging changed the end of 2010.  You are quoting the old staging criteria.  Stage 1a is a much more exclusive club, now.

Mkelley1
                          Participant

Janner, so I have been having a difficult time finding other people who are in a similar situation as me.  Meaning my same diagnosis, being a male, having it located on my back, etc.  is there anywhere I can find people with my same situation out there?  Any info would help- thank you

Mkelley1
                            Participant

Janner, so I have been having a difficult time finding other people who are in a similar situation as me.  Meaning my same diagnosis, being a male, having it located on my back, etc.  is there anywhere I can find people with my same situation out there?  Any info would help- thank you

Mkelley1
                              Participant

JC
                                Participant

There should be general cancer support groups in your area. Check with the American Cancer Society in your area. There might be melanoma specific support groups as well. There are a few organizations that can link you up with someone else who has a similar cancer diagnosis. One organization that will connect you is Imerman Angels.

http://www.imermanangels.org/

MRF also has a phone buddy program:  http://www.melanoma.org/find-support/phone-buddy

JC
                                  Participant

There should be general cancer support groups in your area. Check with the American Cancer Society in your area. There might be melanoma specific support groups as well. There are a few organizations that can link you up with someone else who has a similar cancer diagnosis. One organization that will connect you is Imerman Angels.

MRF also has a phone buddy program:  http://www.melanoma.org/find-support/phone-buddy

JC
                                    Participant

Janner
                                      Participant

liberty04281
                                        Participant
                                          Mkelley1
                                          Participant

Thanks Janet my depth is .63.  The docs told me that anything under .75 they don't want to do an SNLB.  However my mitosis was 2 which concerns me.  I don't really understand the whole mitosis thing I read about people saying they have a 5 or more and r doing fine.  Anways thanks for the response-mark

Mkelley1
                                            Participant

Hollywood
                                              Participant

I was diagnosed last week (1.8mm) with Melanoma – it was a mole in the dead center of my back as well. Due to size, they will be removing the lymph nodes in my armpits. I'm going to UCLA. Doc says it's only a 15-20 chance it spread so doing this as a precaution.

I'm brand new to all this too – still in a bit of shock. Appreciate that there are so many people providing answers and insights!

Hollywood
                                                Participant

I was diagnosed last week (1.8mm) with Melanoma – it was a mole in the dead center of my back as well. Due to size, they will be removing the lymph nodes in my armpits. I'm going to UCLA. Doc says it's only a 15-20 chance it spread so doing this as a precaution.

I'm brand new to all this too – still in a bit of shock. Appreciate that there are so many people providing answers and insights!

Hollywood
                                                  Participant

Mkelley1
                                                    Participant

What doctor are u seeing at UCLA- I'm trying to get in there as well.  Hope your doing good and u will be fine.  Let me know or call me-  mark-619-388-9054

Mkelley1
                                                      Participant

What doctor are u seeing at UCLA- I'm trying to get in there as well.  Hope your doing good and u will be fine.  Let me know or call me-  mark-619-388-9054

Mkelley1
                                                        Participant

What is the deal with the current staging and prognosis for stage 1b melanoma.  A mitosis of greater than 1 separates it from stage 1a but I read that people have a mitosis of 2,3,4,5,6 and they bunch it all into one.  Is 2 mitosis better than 6?   They make it sound as though anything above 1 is a death sentence eventually.  Very confusing.  Also what percentage of stage 1b patients show a positive SNLB ?  The reason for this is my melanoma was .63 but a mitosis of 2 with no ulceration.  They decided not to do an SNLB.  I'm pretty upset about this cause I feel like it has left me staging limbo.  Any thoughts?

Mkelley1
                                                          Participant

What is the deal with the current staging and prognosis for stage 1b melanoma.  A mitosis of greater than 1 separates it from stage 1a but I read that people have a mitosis of 2,3,4,5,6 and they bunch it all into one.  Is 2 mitosis better than 6?   They make it sound as though anything above 1 is a death sentence eventually.  Very confusing.  Also what percentage of stage 1b patients show a positive SNLB ?  The reason for this is my melanoma was .63 but a mitosis of 2 with no ulceration.  They decided not to do an SNLB.  I'm pretty upset about this cause I feel like it has left me staging limbo.  Any thoughts?

yunielth
                                                            Participant

Hi!

My sister had almost the same breslow depth that you, she had 0.6 mm clark III and mitosis < 1 mm2, she is stage 1a. What clark´s level you had? Where was your primary?  What upgrades you to stage 1b was the mitosis, because is greater than 1.

Not sure why the doctors didn´t decide to do the SLNB, I think because the breslow depth, that is the most important thing! Mitosis is an adverse feature to take in count for staging and also to make the SLNB even for thin melanomas between 0.75mm and 1 mm. I know you are upset because of that, I was too when I knew that doctors didnt do the SLNB even when she had <1 mitosis, but then I understood it was the most reasonable, the changes to spread at that depth is low, but is not a guarantee even for smaller depth with  '0' mitosis. The SLNB for thin melanoma between 0.75 and 1 mm is recommended just under adverse features (clark IV, mitosis >= 1,ulceration,lymphovascular invasion).

Just think possitive!

Best regards,

Yuni

yunielth
                                                              Participant

Hi!

My sister had almost the same breslow depth that you, she had 0.6 mm clark III and mitosis < 1 mm2, she is stage 1a. What clark´s level you had? Where was your primary?  What upgrades you to stage 1b was the mitosis, because is greater than 1.

Not sure why the doctors didn´t decide to do the SLNB, I think because the breslow depth, that is the most important thing! Mitosis is an adverse feature to take in count for staging and also to make the SLNB even for thin melanomas between 0.75mm and 1 mm. I know you are upset because of that, I was too when I knew that doctors didnt do the SLNB even when she had <1 mitosis, but then I understood it was the most reasonable, the changes to spread at that depth is low, but is not a guarantee even for smaller depth with  '0' mitosis. The SLNB for thin melanoma between 0.75 and 1 mm is recommended just under adverse features (clark IV, mitosis >= 1,ulceration,lymphovascular invasion).

Just think possitive!

Best regards,

Yuni

Mkelley1
                                                                Participant

Thanks for the response Yuni.  My primary was located in left side of spine of my upper back.  My Clarke level was level 2, no ulceration, mitosis 2, depth .63.  I'm being positive but I feel the doctors dropped the ball on this one

Mkelley1
                                                                  Participant

Thanks for the response Yuni.  My primary was located in left side of spine of my upper back.  My Clarke level was level 2, no ulceration, mitosis 2, depth .63.  I'm being positive but I feel the doctors dropped the ball on this one

Mkelley1
                                                                    Participant

Janer, I know u had three primaries back in 1992.  My question is what was your mitosis for each area as well as depth and location.  Thank u for your time

Mkelley1
                                                                      Participant

Janer, I know u had three primaries back in 1992.  My question is what was your mitosis for each area as well as depth and location.  Thank u for your time

Mkelley1
                                                                        Participant

Mkelley1
                                                                          Participant

yunielth
                                                                            Participant

Hi!

Just think possitive!

Best regards,

Yuni

Mkelley1
                                                                              Participant

Mkelley1
                                                                                Participant

Viewing 2 reply threads
                                                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics