The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Stage 1b and terrified

Forums General Melanoma Community Stage 1b and terrified

Participant

I have recently been diagnosed stage 1b.  The melanoma was 1.8 mm- no ulceration- mitotic rate of 3- which I know is bad!  I guess I just read everywhere about all of these stage 1 and 2 patients who 10 years later have it return. Is there no chance of long      Term survival?  I already had lymph nodes check and they came back negative.  I guess I'm just not seeing to much positive about this and feel like I am just waiting for it to progress to stage 4.  I'm a terrified new mom and afraid I won't be here see my little girl blow out her birthday candles. 

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        Momrn5
        Participant

I was 1b for a little while, exact same pathology as yours, until we found micro mets in the lymph node. Something like 90% of people with 1b do just fine.  My husband was diagnosed with a bleeding melanoma 25 years ago.  Huge skin graft on his back. No other treatment.  He is just fine.  Grab onto the 90% who don't progress at stage 1b.   It is really scary and shocking to get the diagnosis, yes it is. Most people on this board say stay off the internet as there have been so many great leaps and bounds in the treatment of melanoma over the past five years, most things you read are now outdated.  Good Luck and enjoy that little girl!  There is a great chance that you will see her blow out those candles for decades to come. ๐Ÿ™‚

Momrn5
          Participant

I was 1b for a little while, exact same pathology as yours, until we found micro mets in the lymph node. Something like 90% of people with 1b do just fine.  My husband was diagnosed with a bleeding melanoma 25 years ago.  Huge skin graft on his back. No other treatment.  He is just fine.  Grab onto the 90% who don't progress at stage 1b.   It is really scary and shocking to get the diagnosis, yes it is. Most people on this board say stay off the internet as there have been so many great leaps and bounds in the treatment of melanoma over the past five years, most things you read are now outdated.  Good Luck and enjoy that little girl!  There is a great chance that you will see her blow out those candles for decades to come. ๐Ÿ™‚

Momrn5
            Participant

JerryfromFauq
              Participant

Don't scare my, I've only been at the stage IV level with live tumors for 7 years now.  Still enjoying life and new grand kids and new great grandkids.  At stage Ib, you've got great statistics to look at and even at Stage IV, you have much better odds than the 30 to 180 days I was given in Feb 2007.  Be vigilant, but don't let melanoma win by paranoia controlling your life.  Learn, fight and live.

JerryfromFauq
                Participant

Don't scare my, I've only been at the stage IV level with live tumors for 7 years now.  Still enjoying life and new grand kids and new great grandkids.  At stage Ib, you've got great statistics to look at and even at Stage IV, you have much better odds than the 30 to 180 days I was given in Feb 2007.  Be vigilant, but don't let melanoma win by paranoia controlling your life.  Learn, fight and live.

JerryfromFauq
                  Participant

Happy_girl
                      Participant

Thank you! You sound like you have so much courage!

Happy_girl
                        Participant

Happy_girl
                          Participant

kab07011
                          Participant

Stage 1B'er female here too, October 2009. .97 ulcerated lower back. No recurrence. Negative SNB.

2 pregnancies since then. Live life, eat healthy! I was scared and still question recurrence, but chances are SLIM.

Any questions please ask ๐Ÿ™‚

kab07011
                            Participant

Stage 1B'er female here too, October 2009. .97 ulcerated lower back. No recurrence. Negative SNB.

2 pregnancies since then. Live life, eat healthy! I was scared and still question recurrence, but chances are SLIM.

Happy_girl
                                Participant

How did you feel about getting pregnant? Did it scare you at all?

Happy_girl
                                  Participant

Happy_girl
                                    Participant

kab07011
                                    Participant

LuckyMan51
                                      Participant

Hi,

Take deep breath and do a bit of research. You hare highly likely to be around for a long time. Current statistics show 1b 5yr and 10yr survival rates at 92 and 86% respectively. Bear in mind those are now outdated stats as many of the breakthrough melanoma drugs have only been around for a couple of years. The pace of new drug discoveries is very fast and I think it's highly likely that your survival stats will be well above those. Type NED in the search box and you will find many people who have had long lives even while stage IV. You got bad news but as far as bad news goes its about the best bad news you could have gotten. Stay diligent around your health, stay informed on new treatments and give your little girl lots of hugs and kisses for many years. 

LuckyMan51
                                        Participant

Hi,

Take deep breath and do a bit of research. You hare highly likely to be around for a long time. Current statistics show 1b 5yr and 10yr survival rates at 92 and 86% respectively. Bear in mind those are now outdated stats as many of the breakthrough melanoma drugs have only been around for a couple of years. The pace of new drug discoveries is very fast and I think it's highly likely that your survival stats will be well above those. Type NED in the search box and you will find many people who have had long lives even while stage IV. You got bad news but as far as bad news goes its about the best bad news you could have gotten. Stay diligent around your health, stay informed on new treatments and give your little girl lots of hugs and kisses for many years. 

LuckyMan51
                                          Participant

Hi,

Janner
                                            Participant

Stage 1B since 1992, 3 melanoma primaries.

Happy_girl
                                                Participant

Thank you everyone for the encouragement. It helps me believe that this is not a death sentence- but a life style change.  I am working on choosing to believe I will be in the 90%…. No reason to believe otherwise.  I'm hoping time helps heal. 

Happy_girl
                                                  Participant

Thank you everyone for the encouragement. It helps me believe that this is not a death sentence- but a life style change.  I am working on choosing to believe I will be in the 90%…. No reason to believe otherwise.  I'm hoping time helps heal. 

Happy_girl
                                                    Participant

MacMac
                                                      Participant

I was just diagnosed with 1B myself.  Still have to go through the sentinel lymph node biopsy and wide excision.  It is hard to stay positive but I just keep telling myself – well if I am not smiling and living what I am going to do cry every day????  Then what?  So I have my bad moments but I'm trying to smile….

I have never been more scared though…….

MacMac
                                                        Participant

I was just diagnosed with 1B myself.  Still have to go through the sentinel lymph node biopsy and wide excision.  It is hard to stay positive but I just keep telling myself – well if I am not smiling and living what I am going to do cry every day????  Then what?  So I have my bad moments but I'm trying to smile….

MacMac
                                                          Participant

Janner
                                                          Participant

Janner
                                                            Participant

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics