The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Stable lung nodules

Forums General Melanoma Community Stable lung nodules

Participant

I have a question.My son will be finishing up his one year of Keytruda in March.All his scans have been great.The only thing is they have been monitering 3 lung nodules that have remained stable.(1) 2mm and (2) 4mm no change.I am worried with him completing treatment they will grow.They have not grown but they have not gone away either.Should I be worried.We do not know for sure if it was melanoma but he is only 19.Not sure how else he would have lung nodules.

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Hukill
        Participant

I had 7 mets in my lungs in 06/2016. Had 5 combo ipi/nivo then nivo for 52 treatmants. By August of 2017 all 7 were gone except for 1 that had shrunk to 2mm and has been 2mm since. Oncologist and Radiologist both think it is dead tumor scaring. I stopped treatment in August of 2018 and have had 3 scans and no change in the size, still 2mm.

liberty04281
            Participant
              I was on Yervoy, took 4 injections, and stopped. The nodule became smaller, but I stillI have 3 nodules in my lungs for 3 1/2 years, and they are not changing in size. Each one is a few mm.
              It is stable, I do not know if it could be scar tissue from tumors.
            MelMel
            Participant

Some lung nodules can be attributed to granular tissue and are not related to melanoma. These are benign and unless symptomatic require no treatment nor follow up.

Melanie

Fergusta
              Participant

Hello.  I’m new to this forum.  I have a somewhat similar story.  I was diagnosed with two 2x2cm melanoma tumors in March 2018 via a lung biopsy and follow-up PET/CT scan (after a small “cyst” on my neck was id’d as probable metastatic).  After a year of Opdivo treatment (11 infusions) a second full body PET/CT scan 10 days ago indicates no evidence of malignancy.  One tumor/nodule is “resolved” from which I gather means it is not there or too small to see (a CT scan 3 mos ago measured it at 2x5mm).  However, the other “nodule” (they had different term — I don’t have the report with me), while showing no maliganacy remains at approximately 1x1cm.  The Onc said is is likely scar tissue.  And I looked at the side by side comparisons of the year old and latest PET/CT scans — there is only black void where there was once two very bright glowing activities.  Even so, I’m not celebrating and I do not use the term NED.  Time will tell — I have another CT scan in 3 mos with what will be my last scheduled Opdivo treatment.  I hope for the same good news.  Afterwards, the plan is periodic scans for the next few years or so.  Am I being overly cautious with the recent results?  Have others had the same emotional reaction of continued uncertainty?  I want to feel good about the results, but I just find it hard to be overly cheered.  Some thoughtful words of wisdom and experience would greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

Viewing 2 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics