The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

SRS before Whole Brain Radiation

Forums General Melanoma Community SRS before Whole Brain Radiation

Participant
      Well the radiation oncologist really gave me hope when she said we may have options!!
      The SRS she said has recently come out and I may be a candidate for it. It pinpoints multiple lesions at the same time and could give me a little more time before they would have to do the whole brain. 3, 6 months to a year. All of those time frames work for me!!
      My case is on a panel review Thursday, I will know Friday if they will be able to do it.
      Fingers crossed, prayers sent!!
    Viewing 6 reply threads
    • Replies
        Bubbles
        Participant
          I am sorry for all that you are dealing with Tyais. I would much prefer SRS to whole brain radiation were I in your shoes. The data supports it and multiple areas can be done at once even with SRS. I hope you can attain this treatment option. I wish you my best. Celeste
          Johnjk04
          Participant
            HappyGal – hopefully they will accept you into their protocol. If you do get turned down check into some other cancer centers. I was so impressed by Dr. Veronica Chiang, Yale, she gave me three Gamma Knives to the brain. Her email address is [email protected] .If your insurance will not cover out of network therapies, some centers offer great assistance and there are pilots ready to fly patients around the nation. You might want to start up a GoFundMe page. Once again, I’m looking forward to a marvelous solution.
            Mark_DC
            Participant
              Dear Tyais

I am not an expert [bubbles is!) but my understanding is that SRS has far less side effects so I so hope this is an option,, then things could be good
              I was sad to read your news last week but I do like this option and hope it is possible
              Good luck
              Mark

gopher38
              Participant
                I don’t know much about this, but the gamma knife sounds much more appealing to me. Worked for Pres. Carter, right? Hope that gets the thumbs up.
                ed williams
                Participant
                  Hi Tyais, just to add a little to what Celeste gave you. I came across this in the ASCO Library hot off the press’s for this years ASCO. The data is out of Australia mainly and I will let you read it for yourself but the basic idea is they were treated with SRS first then were put into one of two groups (whole brain radiation or observation). The findings of this trial for this type of patients showed no advantage to whole brain vs observation after having SRS radiation. I am not sure what type of SRS patients had before, either cyberknife or gamma knife and I believe they also allowed patients into the trial that had surgery to remove tumors. Best Wishes!!!Ed https://meetinglibrary.asco.org/record/173455/abstract https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01503827
                  GeoTony
                  Participant
                    Hi Tyais
                    I can’t offer the level of advice that Celeste and Ed can
                    but I can say good luck

Tony

jbronicki
                    Participant
                      Hi Tyais,

Thinking about you right now. I know you hear today about next steps (I’m in central time so probably still early there for you on west coast). When you posted this, I read some articles from major research journals and watched several videos as well and confirms everything said above (less side effects, especially cognition, since they can pinpoint rather than zapping everything).

Many hugs, hope you get your information in timely manner, I know waiting to hear is brutal.
                      Jackie

Viewing 6 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics