The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

SPAM on bulletin board

Forums General Melanoma Community SPAM on bulletin board

Inactive

Hi everyone,

I apologize for the ridiculous amount of SPAM that was/is on the bulletin board.  We are looking into ways to tighten that security to reduce (or prevent) this stuff from appearing.  In the next week or two we'll be running through some different options that will hopefully be of minimal distraction to you.  We have a few options but, as you could probably guess, the most effective ones will likely be the most annoying for the regular users. 

Hi everyone,

I apologize for the ridiculous amount of SPAM that was/is on the bulletin board.  We are looking into ways to tighten that security to reduce (or prevent) this stuff from appearing.  In the next week or two we'll be running through some different options that will hopefully be of minimal distraction to you.  We have a few options but, as you could probably guess, the most effective ones will likely be the most annoying for the regular users. 

I just wanted to thank you for continuing to let me know when you see these types of posts.  In the future, if it's easier, I just need the username of the SPAMMER and then I can block that user and start deleting posts.  Deleting the posts takes some time because we have to do it one at a time.  We're also looking into fixing that.  Thanks for your patience everyone and as always, be sure to let me know if you need anything.

Shelby – MRF

Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Replies
        justlittleoleme
        Participant

Thank you Shelby!

justlittleoleme
          Participant

Thank you Shelby!

justlittleoleme
            Participant

Thank you Shelby!

Janner
              Participant

They were thorough.  It's all over the off topic board as well.

Janner

Anonymous
                  Inactive

So frustrating, I'll get to that now.  Thanks!

Anonymous
                    Inactive

Anonymous
                      Inactive

Janner
                      Participant

Janner

Janner
                        Participant

Janner

j.m.l.
                          Participant

thank you for your attention. This is the first time I have seen spam on this site. Its too bad about the kind of people who harp on those who need help. What a sad person that must be.

j.m.l.
                            Participant

thank you for your attention. This is the first time I have seen spam on this site. Its too bad about the kind of people who harp on those who need help. What a sad person that must be.

j.m.l.
                              Participant

Jackie W
                                Participant

It is also on the OTBB and needs to be taken off.

Jackie W

Jackie W
                                  Participant

Jackie W

Jackie W
                                    Participant

Jackie W

JerryfromFauq
                                      Participant

Thanks for the quick response.  I know a final solution will take a longer, but you have started.  Have you determined if the posts are coming from the USA or another country?

JerryfromFauq
                                        Participant

Thanks for the quick response.  I know a final solution will take a longer, but you have started.  Have you determined if the posts are coming from the USA or another country?

JerryfromFauq
                                          Participant

Anonymous
                                              Inactive

Hi Jerry,

No, we're not sure where they are originating.  I would guess, based on the email addresses, probably both.  We'll keep everyone posted on our progress.

Shelby

Anonymous
                                                Inactive

Hi Jerry,

No, we're not sure where they are originating.  I would guess, based on the email addresses, probably both.  We'll keep everyone posted on our progress.

Shelby

Anonymous
                                                  Inactive

Hi Jerry,

Shelby

justlittleoleme
                                                  Participant

Shelby,

Can we get rid of the anonymous ability to post?  I am really tired of seeing all of the posts from anon about virotherapy.  People are using anon to hide behind some really nasty posts too.

thanks!

justlittleoleme
                                                    Participant

Shelby,

Can we get rid of the anonymous ability to post?  I am really tired of seeing all of the posts from anon about virotherapy.  People are using anon to hide behind some really nasty posts too.

thanks!

justlittleoleme
                                                      Participant

Shelby,

thanks!

Anonymous
                                                          Inactive

Sorry, we have a laundry list of reasons why we are leaving the Anonymous posting option.  After discussing this internally and with other MPIP users at length, we have determined that the pros outweigh the cons, so we are keeping it. 

Shelby

Anonymous
                                                            Inactive

Sorry, we have a laundry list of reasons why we are leaving the Anonymous posting option.  After discussing this internally and with other MPIP users at length, we have determined that the pros outweigh the cons, so we are keeping it. 

Shelby

Anonymous
                                                              Inactive

Shelby

JerryfromFauq
                                                                Participant

I am in full frustration about the weirdos' that spam us, HOWEVER, There are many reasons that we have previously discussed to retain the sometime irritating use of the anonymous capability.  Whether or not I agree with virotherapy, i believe that if the poster believes that it has helped themselves or a case that they know of, they should have the right to post about it here. 

If one finds rude and nasty posts, they can be brought to Shelby Moneer's attention at: [email protected].  The post from the Anonymous posters are not totally hidden from the MRF board.  In some cases they may be deleted.  They do allow us much freedom in our postings which is preferred (Though not always liked.)

The non melanoma SPAM is just as bad to be here.  The MRF/MPIP staff are just as frustrated as we are.  It costs money and time that could be much better used to help our fight against melanoma. I'm sure Shelby is not wild about getting a copy of every fake post I find, but she is gracious and works to remove them and they are working on a more efficient way to delete the recently widespread spam posts which are "responses" under different topics. 

I do believe that there are reasons of personal privacy both to reduce exposure to family that we don't want to bring out, for discussions of private areas of the body that many times a newcomer are not comfortable with posting a name.  We have even gotten into discussions of sex and whether this is appropriate for melanoma patients and views on getting "satisfaction" outside of the marriage bonds.  Yes, anonymity has had it's place on the MPIP from its beginning, and still does in spite of its sometimes mis-use..  In the past we could not tell who it was and shut them off.  Now the MRF has developed that capability.  Thanks for their work in this area.

JerryfromFauq
                                                                  Participant

I am in full frustration about the weirdos' that spam us, HOWEVER, There are many reasons that we have previously discussed to retain the sometime irritating use of the anonymous capability.  Whether or not I agree with virotherapy, i believe that if the poster believes that it has helped themselves or a case that they know of, they should have the right to post about it here. 

If one finds rude and nasty posts, they can be brought to Shelby Moneer's attention at: [email protected].  The post from the Anonymous posters are not totally hidden from the MRF board.  In some cases they may be deleted.  They do allow us much freedom in our postings which is preferred (Though not always liked.)

The non melanoma SPAM is just as bad to be here.  The MRF/MPIP staff are just as frustrated as we are.  It costs money and time that could be much better used to help our fight against melanoma. I'm sure Shelby is not wild about getting a copy of every fake post I find, but she is gracious and works to remove them and they are working on a more efficient way to delete the recently widespread spam posts which are "responses" under different topics. 

I do believe that there are reasons of personal privacy both to reduce exposure to family that we don't want to bring out, for discussions of private areas of the body that many times a newcomer are not comfortable with posting a name.  We have even gotten into discussions of sex and whether this is appropriate for melanoma patients and views on getting "satisfaction" outside of the marriage bonds.  Yes, anonymity has had it's place on the MPIP from its beginning, and still does in spite of its sometimes mis-use..  In the past we could not tell who it was and shut them off.  Now the MRF has developed that capability.  Thanks for their work in this area.

JerryfromFauq
                                                                    Participant

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics