The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

soup recipes?

Forums General Melanoma Community soup recipes?

Participant

was told I'm at risk for diabetes and need to lose weight but I only know how to make soup. any recs for a low fat soup recipe or links online?

was told I'm at risk for diabetes and need to lose weight but I only know how to make soup. any recs for a low fat soup recipe or links online?

Viewing 7 reply threads
    • Replies
        W.
        Participant

Consider low-carb instead of low-fat!

I'm not a doctor or something, but many people now believe that low-carb is more effective for losing weight. Some think that the obesity epidemic is caused by the shift from fats to carbs.

In my books, every soup with lots of vegetables (but not potatoes) and some meat would be okay.

rtsmichele
            Participant

Healthy Chicken Gumbo Recipe

Ingredients:

1 tsp vegetable oil
              1/4 C flour
              3 C low-sodium chicken broth
              1 1/2 lb chicken breast, skinless, boneless, cut into 1-inch strips
              1 C (1/2 lb) white potatoes, cubed
              1 C onions, chopped
              1 C (1/2 lb) carrots, coarsely chopped
              1/2 medium carrot, grated
              1/4 C celery, chopped
              4 cloves garlic, finely minced
              2 stalks scallion, chopped
              1 whole bay leaf
              1/2 tsp thyme
              1/2 tsp black pepper, ground
              2 tsp hot (or jalapeño) pepper
              1 C (1/2 lb) okra, sliced into 1/2-inch pieces

Directions:

1. Add oil to large pot and heat over medium flame.

2. Stir in flour. Cook, stirring constantly, until flour begins to turn golden brown.

3. Slowly stir in all broth using wire whisk. Cook for 2 minutes. Broth mixture should not be lumpy.

4. Add rest of ingredients except okra. Bring to boil, then reduce heat and let simmer for 20–30 minutes.

5. Add okra and let cook for 15–20 more minutes.

6. Remove bay leaf and serve hot in bowl or over rice.

Yield: 8 servings Serving size: 3/4 cup

Each serving provides:

Calories: 165
              Total fat: 4 g
              Saturated fat: 1 g
              Cholesterol: 51 mg
              Sodium: 81 mg
              Total fiber: 2 g
              Protein: 21 g
              Carbohydrates: 11 g
              Potassium: 349 mg

Taco Soup

1 lb. ground turkey or lean hamburger 1 onion, chopped (I prefer walla
              walla) 1 pkg. taco seasoning 1 can corn, undrained 1 can light kidney beans,
              undrained 30 oz. Italian stewed tomatoes

Low-fat cheese (optional) Fat Free sour cream (optional)

Combine meat, onion and taco seasoning in a soup pot and cook until meat is
              done. Drain any excess fat. Add remaining ingredients. Simmer until it's
              time to serve (the more time the better in my opinion). Top with cheese and
              sour cream, if desired.

Black Bean Soup 2 cans of black beans 1 pack of taco seasoning 2-3 baked,
              boneless chicken breast 1/4 cup uncooked rice 1 can of corn 1/8 teaspoon of
              garlic powder onions (optional)

While chicken breast are baking, mix beans, rice, corn, garlic,and seasoning
              in a large pan. Bring to a boil and cover. Continue to boil until rice
              begins to plump. Add chicken in small chunks to the soup mixture. Cook until
              the rice is done.

Chucky Stew 1-46oz can V-8 juice (LOW SODIUM) 1lb lean ground meat or turkey
              1lb bag frozen mixed veggies 3 med potatos (diced) 1 med onion (diced) (
              sm.cabbage optinal)

(salt & pepper)optinal

Brown ground meat in a soup pan drain off excess fat, add V-8 juice bring to
              a boil, add mixed veggies, potatos & onion, bring back to a boil and lower
              to a simmer til potatos are tender.

Creamy Chicken Soup Ingredients: 2 small to medium red potatoes 1 cup skim
              milk 1 cup water 1/4 cup fat free Kraft shredded cheddar cheese 6-8
              boneless, skinless chicken tenders or you can use canned chicken. 1/2
              shredded carrot 1 piece chopped celery 3 or 4 thinly slice mushrooms

Puncture potatoes, wrap in plastic wrap and microwave until soft. Remove
              from microwave and use fist to mash flat. Put to the side.

Grill or pan fry (using Pam) 6 chicken tenders or you can substitute canned
              chicken or any type of poultry like turkey breast. Once done, dice into
              cubes.

Pour 1 cup of water and 1 cup of skim milk into saucepan on high heat until
              simmering. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Add mashed potatoes, carrot, celery and chicken and then lower heat and
              simmer until veggies are to your desired doneness. Add mushrooms and fat
              free cheese and stir until melted.

Makes about four servings. This soup is about 400 calores and only 5 or so
              grams of fat.

FitToBe's Chili recipe Ingredients: 2 pounds ground beef (turkey) 1 onion,
              chopped 1 tablespoon ground black pepper 1 tablespoon garlic powder 2 1/2
              cups tomato sauce 1 (8 ounce) jar salsa 4 tablespoons chili seasoning mix 1
              (15 ounce) can light red kidney beans 1 (15 ounce) can dark red kidney beans

Directions: 1. In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine the ground beef
              and the onion and saute for 10 minutes, or until meat is browned and onion
              is tender. Drain grease, if desired. 2. Add the ground black pepper, garlic
              salt, tomato sauce, salsa, chili seasoning mix and kidney beans. Mix well,
              reduce heat to low and simmer for at least an hour.

rtsmichele
              Participant

COLUMBIAN SOUP

Meat soup bone or desired meat (beef stew meat or ox tail or chicken wings,
                or breast, peel skin

6 red radishes sliced thin

4 celery sticks, chopped

1/2 onion, chopped

1/2 bell pepper, chopped

1/4 c. cilantro chopped

2 plantains peeled and cut at angle (green bananas)

1 yucca peeled and cut into strips (you may use corn on the cob and potato's
                in place of plantain and yucca)

In a dutch oven, add meat and vegetables fill with water to 3/4 full add
                garlic, salt and pepper to taste. Boil for 30 minutes. After meat is tender
                add plantain's and yucca. Boil for 20 to 30 minutes more. Follow same if
                corn on the cob and potato's are added. This should take 1 1/2 hours, the
                secret to good soup is the more you boil the better the taste. Serve with
                Colombian white rice on a side dish.  

rtsmichele
                Participant

Black Bean Soup

2 teaspoons olive oil
                  1 small onion, chopped
                  3 garlic clove, chopped
                  2 teaspoons ground cumin
                  3 carrots, sliced
                  3 parsnips, sliced
                  6 cups boiling chicken broth (or water or vegetable broth)
                  1 can black beans, drained

Heat oil in a non-stick skillet. Add onions and saute until they are translucent. Add garlic and cumin and cook 3 minutes longer. Add carrots and parsnips and cook 3 minutes longer. Add boiling broth or water. Deglaze the pot by stirring up the small bits from the bottom of the pot. Add black beans. Simmer for 1 hour.

Serves 6

Cooking Tips
                  Tips and Variations:

• This soup can be pureed in a blender if you want a creamy black bean soup.
                  • Use vegetable broth in place of the chicken broth to create one of the nicest vegetarian healthy soup recipes you will find.
                  TinaR
                  Participant

YUM!  Thanks to both …the Q and the A. I have always loved soup  but my son hated it so I never made it…now he has moved out and my daughter wants soup every day ( she also wants crusty bread and butter and that is bad!) Michelle, your soup recipes sound great and I'm going to try them! 

My  favorite soups are very simple- the lazy person's soup…but one isn't all that low fat– just add low fat versions of everything if need be.

I start all with Organic Chicken or Vegetable broth

Easy Chicken/Corn Soup…

(No measurements you decide- how much you need.)

Saute GARLIC in OLIVE OIL till soft. Add chopped ONION till soft.

Add cartons of CHICKEN BROTH— as many as you need.. I usually make 6 qts.

Add frozen or fresh CARROTS ( as many as you need for your servings)

Add shredded pre-roasted CHICKEN breasts. ( as much as you want)

Add SPICES ( whatever…I add salt, pepper, Montreal Chicken mix)

Simmer for as long as you'd like and all the flavors mix.

Add frozen or fresh WHOLE GREEN BEANS.

Add frozen or canned CORN

Add a box of ACINI DI PEPE ( teeny tiny pasta)

Cook until beans and pasta are done  ( 10-15 minutes)

Easy Mexican Chicken Soup

Saute GARLIC and ONIONS in OLIVE OIL till tender.

Add cartons of CHICKEN BROTH…as many as you need.

Add shredded pre-roasted tender CHICKEN BREAST.

SIMMER.

Steam or boil RICE- set aside.

AT TABLE ADD INS:

Chop TOMATOES, ONIONS, SPICES( s&p) Mix in a bit  of OLIVE OIL. Set aside.

Chop ONIONS. Set aside.

Chop CILANTRO. Set Aside.

Chop Avocado ( optional) set aside.

In serving bowls…add scoop of rice, shredded chicken and broth. Serve the bowls of ADD INS on side.

Terribly Fatty Potato Cheese Soup ( but you could skip the cheese or just use a smidgen)

Saute chopped ONION in OLIVE OIL.

Add cartons of broth (either ORGANIC VEGETABLE OR ORGANIC CHICKEN

Slice white POTATOES thin ( some thinner than others)…I use a 5 lb bag.

Add SPICES…I use s&p and the Montreal Chicken spice mix.

Cook until potatoes are tender.

Scoop into bowls and tops with shredded CHEDDAR CHEESE — I add tooooooo much.

EASY ITALIAN WEDDING SOUP.

Saute GARLIC and ONION in OLIVE OIL.

Add cartons of ORGANIC CHICKEN BROTH.

Add fresh or frozen MUSHROOMS- optional

Add frozen pre- cooked TURKEY MEATBALLS.

Add fresh or frozen chopped or whole leaf SPINACH.

Add SPICE…s&p, Italian seasoning.

SIMMER.

In another pot…boil tiny PASTA ( your choice)

Add cooked pasta to bowl, add soup and top with Parmesan Cheese ( I add both full slices and the sprinkle type)

TinaR
                    Participant

YUM!  Thanks to both …the Q and the A. I have always loved soup  but my son hated it so I never made it…now he has moved out and my daughter wants soup every day ( she also wants crusty bread and butter and that is bad!) Michelle, your soup recipes sound great and I'm going to try them! 

My  favorite soups are very simple- the lazy person's soup…but one isn't all that low fat– just add low fat versions of everything if need be.

I start all with Organic Chicken or Vegetable broth

Easy Chicken/Corn Soup…

(No measurements you decide- how much you need.)

Saute GARLIC in OLIVE OIL till soft. Add chopped ONION till soft.

Add cartons of CHICKEN BROTH— as many as you need.. I usually make 6 qts.

Add frozen or fresh CARROTS ( as many as you need for your servings)

Add shredded pre-roasted CHICKEN breasts. ( as much as you want)

Add SPICES ( whatever…I add salt, pepper, Montreal Chicken mix)

Simmer for as long as you'd like and all the flavors mix.

Add frozen or fresh WHOLE GREEN BEANS.

Add frozen or canned CORN

Add a box of ACINI DI PEPE ( teeny tiny pasta)

Cook until beans and pasta are done  ( 10-15 minutes)

Easy Mexican Chicken Soup

Saute GARLIC and ONIONS in OLIVE OIL till tender.

Add cartons of CHICKEN BROTH…as many as you need.

Add shredded pre-roasted tender CHICKEN BREAST.

SIMMER.

Steam or boil RICE- set aside.

AT TABLE ADD INS:

Chop TOMATOES, ONIONS, SPICES( s&p) Mix in a bit  of OLIVE OIL. Set aside.

Chop ONIONS. Set aside.

Chop CILANTRO. Set Aside.

Chop Avocado ( optional) set aside.

In serving bowls…add scoop of rice, shredded chicken and broth. Serve the bowls of ADD INS on side.

Terribly Fatty Potato Cheese Soup ( but you could skip the cheese or just use a smidgen)

Saute chopped ONION in OLIVE OIL.

Add cartons of broth (either ORGANIC VEGETABLE OR ORGANIC CHICKEN

Slice white POTATOES thin ( some thinner than others)…I use a 5 lb bag.

Add SPICES…I use s&p and the Montreal Chicken spice mix.

Cook until potatoes are tender.

Scoop into bowls and tops with shredded CHEDDAR CHEESE — I add tooooooo much.

EASY ITALIAN WEDDING SOUP.

Saute GARLIC and ONION in OLIVE OIL.

Add cartons of ORGANIC CHICKEN BROTH.

Add fresh or frozen MUSHROOMS- optional

Add frozen pre- cooked TURKEY MEATBALLS.

Add fresh or frozen chopped or whole leaf SPINACH.

Add SPICE…s&p, Italian seasoning.

SIMMER.

In another pot…boil tiny PASTA ( your choice)

Add cooked pasta to bowl, add soup and top with Parmesan Cheese ( I add both full slices and the sprinkle type)

rtsmichele
                      Participant

Black Bean Soup

2 teaspoons olive oil
                        1 small onion, chopped
                        3 garlic clove, chopped
                        2 teaspoons ground cumin
                        3 carrots, sliced
                        3 parsnips, sliced
                        6 cups boiling chicken broth (or water or vegetable broth)
                        1 can black beans, drained

Heat oil in a non-stick skillet. Add onions and saute until they are translucent. Add garlic and cumin and cook 3 minutes longer. Add carrots and parsnips and cook 3 minutes longer. Add boiling broth or water. Deglaze the pot by stirring up the small bits from the bottom of the pot. Add black beans. Simmer for 1 hour.

Serves 6

Cooking Tips
                        Tips and Variations:

• This soup can be pureed in a blender if you want a creamy black bean soup.
                        • Use vegetable broth in place of the chicken broth to create one of the nicest vegetarian healthy soup recipes you will find.
                        rtsmichele
                        Participant

COLUMBIAN SOUP

Meat soup bone or desired meat (beef stew meat or ox tail or chicken wings,
                          or breast, peel skin

6 red radishes sliced thin

4 celery sticks, chopped

1/2 onion, chopped

1/2 bell pepper, chopped

1/4 c. cilantro chopped

2 plantains peeled and cut at angle (green bananas)

1 yucca peeled and cut into strips (you may use corn on the cob and potato's
                          in place of plantain and yucca)

In a dutch oven, add meat and vegetables fill with water to 3/4 full add
                          garlic, salt and pepper to taste. Boil for 30 minutes. After meat is tender
                          add plantain's and yucca. Boil for 20 to 30 minutes more. Follow same if
                          corn on the cob and potato's are added. This should take 1 1/2 hours, the
                          secret to good soup is the more you boil the better the taste. Serve with
                          Colombian white rice on a side dish.  

rtsmichele
                          Participant

Healthy Chicken Gumbo Recipe

Ingredients:

1 tsp vegetable oil
                            1/4 C flour
                            3 C low-sodium chicken broth
                            1 1/2 lb chicken breast, skinless, boneless, cut into 1-inch strips
                            1 C (1/2 lb) white potatoes, cubed
                            1 C onions, chopped
                            1 C (1/2 lb) carrots, coarsely chopped
                            1/2 medium carrot, grated
                            1/4 C celery, chopped
                            4 cloves garlic, finely minced
                            2 stalks scallion, chopped
                            1 whole bay leaf
                            1/2 tsp thyme
                            1/2 tsp black pepper, ground
                            2 tsp hot (or jalapeño) pepper
                            1 C (1/2 lb) okra, sliced into 1/2-inch pieces

Directions:

1. Add oil to large pot and heat over medium flame.

2. Stir in flour. Cook, stirring constantly, until flour begins to turn golden brown.

3. Slowly stir in all broth using wire whisk. Cook for 2 minutes. Broth mixture should not be lumpy.

4. Add rest of ingredients except okra. Bring to boil, then reduce heat and let simmer for 20–30 minutes.

5. Add okra and let cook for 15–20 more minutes.

6. Remove bay leaf and serve hot in bowl or over rice.

Yield: 8 servings Serving size: 3/4 cup

Each serving provides:

Calories: 165
                            Total fat: 4 g
                            Saturated fat: 1 g
                            Cholesterol: 51 mg
                            Sodium: 81 mg
                            Total fiber: 2 g
                            Protein: 21 g
                            Carbohydrates: 11 g
                            Potassium: 349 mg

Taco Soup

1 lb. ground turkey or lean hamburger 1 onion, chopped (I prefer walla
                            walla) 1 pkg. taco seasoning 1 can corn, undrained 1 can light kidney beans,
                            undrained 30 oz. Italian stewed tomatoes

Low-fat cheese (optional) Fat Free sour cream (optional)

Combine meat, onion and taco seasoning in a soup pot and cook until meat is
                            done. Drain any excess fat. Add remaining ingredients. Simmer until it's
                            time to serve (the more time the better in my opinion). Top with cheese and
                            sour cream, if desired.

Black Bean Soup 2 cans of black beans 1 pack of taco seasoning 2-3 baked,
                            boneless chicken breast 1/4 cup uncooked rice 1 can of corn 1/8 teaspoon of
                            garlic powder onions (optional)

While chicken breast are baking, mix beans, rice, corn, garlic,and seasoning
                            in a large pan. Bring to a boil and cover. Continue to boil until rice
                            begins to plump. Add chicken in small chunks to the soup mixture. Cook until
                            the rice is done.

Chucky Stew 1-46oz can V-8 juice (LOW SODIUM) 1lb lean ground meat or turkey
                            1lb bag frozen mixed veggies 3 med potatos (diced) 1 med onion (diced) (
                            sm.cabbage optinal)

(salt & pepper)optinal

Brown ground meat in a soup pan drain off excess fat, add V-8 juice bring to
                            a boil, add mixed veggies, potatos & onion, bring back to a boil and lower
                            to a simmer til potatos are tender.

Creamy Chicken Soup Ingredients: 2 small to medium red potatoes 1 cup skim
                            milk 1 cup water 1/4 cup fat free Kraft shredded cheddar cheese 6-8
                            boneless, skinless chicken tenders or you can use canned chicken. 1/2
                            shredded carrot 1 piece chopped celery 3 or 4 thinly slice mushrooms

Puncture potatoes, wrap in plastic wrap and microwave until soft. Remove
                            from microwave and use fist to mash flat. Put to the side.

Grill or pan fry (using Pam) 6 chicken tenders or you can substitute canned
                            chicken or any type of poultry like turkey breast. Once done, dice into
                            cubes.

Pour 1 cup of water and 1 cup of skim milk into saucepan on high heat until
                            simmering. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Add mashed potatoes, carrot, celery and chicken and then lower heat and
                            simmer until veggies are to your desired doneness. Add mushrooms and fat
                            free cheese and stir until melted.

Makes about four servings. This soup is about 400 calores and only 5 or so
                            grams of fat.

FitToBe's Chili recipe Ingredients: 2 pounds ground beef (turkey) 1 onion,
                            chopped 1 tablespoon ground black pepper 1 tablespoon garlic powder 2 1/2
                            cups tomato sauce 1 (8 ounce) jar salsa 4 tablespoons chili seasoning mix 1
                            (15 ounce) can light red kidney beans 1 (15 ounce) can dark red kidney beans

Directions: 1. In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine the ground beef
                            and the onion and saute for 10 minutes, or until meat is browned and onion
                            is tender. Drain grease, if desired. 2. Add the ground black pepper, garlic
                            salt, tomato sauce, salsa, chili seasoning mix and kidney beans. Mix well,
                            reduce heat to low and simmer for at least an hour.

W.
                          Participant

Consider low-carb instead of low-fat!

I'm not a doctor or something, but many people now believe that low-carb is more effective for losing weight. Some think that the obesity epidemic is caused by the shift from fats to carbs.

In my books, every soup with lots of vegetables (but not potatoes) and some meat would be okay.

Yawn
                            Participant

Cabbage soup diet!

Yawn
                              Participant

Cabbage soup diet!

Yawn
                                Participant

do not look at the dessert post!!!!

Yawn
                                  Participant

do not look at the dessert post!!!!

Yawn
                                    Participant

Vietnamese pho in a jar. One spoonful of pho in boiling water, add veggies and seafood for protein. Add noodles if you want to live on the wild side.

Yawn
                                      Participant

Vietnamese pho in a jar. One spoonful of pho in boiling water, add veggies and seafood for protein. Add noodles if you want to live on the wild side.

Viewing 7 reply threads
                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics