The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Son starts Interferon today

Forums General Melanoma Community Son starts Interferon today

Participant

Today our 14 year old son starts Interferon. Please keep him in your thoughts and prayers! 

Today our 14 year old son starts Interferon. Please keep him in your thoughts and prayers! 

Viewing 19 reply threads
    • Replies
        James from Sydney
        Participant

we are thinking of you Josiah, good luck with the treatment. Remember keep taking fluids and a banana daily, 

best wishes

James

James from Sydney
          Participant

we are thinking of you Josiah, good luck with the treatment. Remember keep taking fluids and a banana daily, 

best wishes

James

triciad
            Participant

Remember to have him drink LOTS of water.  Also, do the shots right before bed so he sleeps through most of the side effects.

I just finished my year of Interferon on 10/30.  It was not that bad…it could have been worse! 

Best of luck to you all…you CAN do it!

Tricia

triciad
              Participant

Remember to have him drink LOTS of water.  Also, do the shots right before bed so he sleeps through most of the side effects.

I just finished my year of Interferon on 10/30.  It was not that bad…it could have been worse! 

Best of luck to you all…you CAN do it!

Tricia

akls
                Participant

I will keep him in my prayers.  I finished my year in March of 2010.  It's rough, but he can do it.  The first month is the worst.  If you have any concerns, after talking with your Dr. of course, this is the place to come.  There are lots of people who have been through interferon here.  I feel so bad that he is so young and dealing with this.  Please let him know he has many people saying prayers.

Amy S. in Michigan

akls
                  Participant

I will keep him in my prayers.  I finished my year in March of 2010.  It's rough, but he can do it.  The first month is the worst.  If you have any concerns, after talking with your Dr. of course, this is the place to come.  There are lots of people who have been through interferon here.  I feel so bad that he is so young and dealing with this.  Please let him know he has many people saying prayers.

Amy S. in Michigan

Becky
                      Participant

I hope everything goes well! The nurses told us that the side effects would take a few days to kick in, but for Ben the first night was the worst..high fever, chills, headache…then it got better. Everyone reacts differently though, as you know.

Let us know how he does.

Becky

Becky
                        Participant

I hope everything goes well! The nurses told us that the side effects would take a few days to kick in, but for Ben the first night was the worst..high fever, chills, headache…then it got better. Everyone reacts differently though, as you know.

Let us know how he does.

Becky

Laurie from maine
                        Participant

good luck, he is young and strong!  I found if I made sure I drank one big gatorade a day it helped alot.  Water also, but the gatorade helped me a lot.  I also needed a really nice fleece blanket as I got the chills and shakes at night.  I also did my infusion late afternoon and it made it a lot easier.  I did have headaches sometimes but otherwise was ok.

keep us informed and if you have questions as he goes thru it please ask – someone will be able to help

laurie from maine

Laurie from maine
                          Participant

good luck, he is young and strong!  I found if I made sure I drank one big gatorade a day it helped alot.  Water also, but the gatorade helped me a lot.  I also needed a really nice fleece blanket as I got the chills and shakes at night.  I also did my infusion late afternoon and it made it a lot easier.  I did have headaches sometimes but otherwise was ok.

keep us informed and if you have questions as he goes thru it please ask – someone will be able to help

laurie from maine

susanlee
                            Participant

Good luck with your son's start to interferon. I began my treatment on August 23rd and found the first month very tiring and slept a lot. As people have been saying it is important to drink lots of liquids. I found water hard to manage after a while so try lemon to add some flavour.

Since starting the 3x weekly injections my energy level had improved.

There is hope.

Susanlee

susanlee
                              Participant

Good luck with your son's start to interferon. I began my treatment on August 23rd and found the first month very tiring and slept a lot. As people have been saying it is important to drink lots of liquids. I found water hard to manage after a while so try lemon to add some flavour.

Since starting the 3x weekly injections my energy level had improved.

There is hope.

Susanlee

Carmon in NM
                                Participant

Best wishes and prayers that your son has an easy time with it and that it is massively successful for him! Carmon

Carmon in NM
                                  Participant

Best wishes and prayers that your son has an easy time with it and that it is massively successful for him! Carmon

Sherron
                                    Participant

Wishing the very best for your son.

Take Care,

Sherron, wife to Jim FOREVER

Sherron
                                      Participant

Wishing the very best for your son.

Take Care,

Sherron, wife to Jim FOREVER

JakeinNY
                                        Participant

Best wishes to your son, you, and your family.

After finishing his treatment, he must eat very healthy and hopefully follow his religion.

I could recommend a great book authored by a doctor with a great reputation.

It's called "The Enzyme Factor" by Dr. Hiromi Shinya.

Easy to read and written by a doctor with fabulous credentials.

JakeinNY
                                          Participant

Best wishes to your son, you, and your family.

After finishing his treatment, he must eat very healthy and hopefully follow his religion.

I could recommend a great book authored by a doctor with a great reputation.

It's called "The Enzyme Factor" by Dr. Hiromi Shinya.

Easy to read and written by a doctor with fabulous credentials.

BethA in VA
                                            Participant

Good luck.  Holding you and your son in my thoughts and prayers.  I wish you well.  Beth 3/B

BethA in VA
                                              Participant

Good luck.  Holding you and your son in my thoughts and prayers.  I wish you well.  Beth 3/B

Melanoma Mom
                                                Participant

Yesterday went pretty well. They admitted him at 8am, had the pic line in place by 10am and started the Interferon around 1pm. He dozed on and off from the Benadryl and felt a bit achy, but did great. They discharged us at 3pm. The Oncologist on call said NOT to give him any Tylenol once we were home, as that would mask a fever caused by infection.

Well, by 5pm, Josiah's fever spiked and he was a bit delirious and upset. We decided this was nuts – the fever was certainly from the Interferon. So we called the Onc on call and he said to give him two Tylenol. Within an hour, he felt tons better. I understand the worries about infection, but I think another dose of meds about 4-5 hours after Interferon will be our order of business from here on out!

Round #2 at 3pm today, with a home health nurse. Yay! So glad they are coming to our home. 

Becky
                                                    Participant

The first night Ben's fever got so high I freaked out and we ended up in the ER (it was a Friday night and no doctor or nurse to call). They had to run all these tests to make sure there was not an infection and then finaly got hold of an oncall oncologist who said it was from the interferon. So I agree..give him the tylenol if that helps!

Becky
                                                      Participant

The first night Ben's fever got so high I freaked out and we ended up in the ER (it was a Friday night and no doctor or nurse to call). They had to run all these tests to make sure there was not an infection and then finaly got hold of an oncall oncologist who said it was from the interferon. So I agree..give him the tylenol if that helps!

kateboston
                                                        Participant

Glad to hear it went well (as well as something like this can go!). Did they give him Tylenol BEFORE they started the Interferon? If not, you should definitley do that – it helps greatly to minimize the side effects before they even happen. My oncologist told us to not even take my temperature when a fever spiked after Interferon b/c you can tend to get worried that it is so high when it's only being caused by the medication.

Also, it does get easier! The first infusion of the 5 day cycle is always the hardest and the side effects seem to minimize as the week goes on. I found that a lot of sleep and a lot of fluids helped me get through the first month!! I just finished my 3rd month of maintenance and while it's no walk in the park, it does get easier.

You guys will do great – good luck and keep us updated!!

kateboston
                                                          Participant

Glad to hear it went well (as well as something like this can go!). Did they give him Tylenol BEFORE they started the Interferon? If not, you should definitley do that – it helps greatly to minimize the side effects before they even happen. My oncologist told us to not even take my temperature when a fever spiked after Interferon b/c you can tend to get worried that it is so high when it's only being caused by the medication.

Also, it does get easier! The first infusion of the 5 day cycle is always the hardest and the side effects seem to minimize as the week goes on. I found that a lot of sleep and a lot of fluids helped me get through the first month!! I just finished my 3rd month of maintenance and while it's no walk in the park, it does get easier.

You guys will do great – good luck and keep us updated!!

Melanoma Mom
                                                          Participant

Yesterday went pretty well. They admitted him at 8am, had the pic line in place by 10am and started the Interferon around 1pm. He dozed on and off from the Benadryl and felt a bit achy, but did great. They discharged us at 3pm. The Oncologist on call said NOT to give him any Tylenol once we were home, as that would mask a fever caused by infection.

Well, by 5pm, Josiah's fever spiked and he was a bit delirious and upset. We decided this was nuts – the fever was certainly from the Interferon. So we called the Onc on call and he said to give him two Tylenol. Within an hour, he felt tons better. I understand the worries about infection, but I think another dose of meds about 4-5 hours after Interferon will be our order of business from here on out!

Round #2 at 3pm today, with a home health nurse. Yay! So glad they are coming to our home. 

Viewing 19 reply threads
                                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics