The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Sometimes Things Just Don’t Alwyas Work Out

Forums General Melanoma Community Sometimes Things Just Don’t Alwyas Work Out

Participant

…..but sometimes they do..

Remember that.

Cheers,

Charlie S

…..but sometimes they do..

Remember that.

Cheers,

Charlie S

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        JoshF
        Participant
          Charlie-

Glad I have you to remind me if that. You’re awesome!

Josh

JoshF
          Participant
            Charlie-

Josh

JoshF
            Participant
              Charlie-

Josh

Gene_S
                Participant

And that Charlie is a complete Ass hole!

jcmp
                  Participant

I disagree.  Straight shooter is more like it.

jcmp
                    Participant

jcmp
                      Participant

Charlie S
                        Participant

That would be Mister A-Hole to you if you don't mind.

Rather than your knee jerk reaction, maybe it would be worth thinking that many times the first treatment option does not work out (as is often the case), the first trial option does not always work out (which is often the case) …………on and on and on.  

The point is, with melanoma, things do NOT always work out as expected……….which is why each of us must keep pushing forward and trying.  With melanoma, it is not a point of failure when any one approach does not work out; yet we must all keep working the problem……………even when things don't always work out.

Get it? 

Cheers,

Charlie S

Charlie S
                          Participant

Rather than your knee jerk reaction, maybe it would be worth thinking that many times the first treatment option does not work out (as is often the case), the first trial option does not always work out (which is often the case) …………on and on and on.  

The point is, with melanoma, things do NOT always work out as expected……….which is why each of us must keep pushing forward and trying.  With melanoma, it is not a point of failure when any one approach does not work out; yet we must all keep working the problem……………even when things don't always work out.

Get it? 

Cheers,

Charlie S

Charlie S
                            Participant

Get it? 

Cheers,

Charlie S

Gene_S
                              Participant

Gene_S
                                Participant

randallgford
                                Participant

Since you have been around so long, let me ask you – if someone starts

with an extremely high tumor load (both lungs, liver, brain, abdomen, spine) can

he realistically expect to be one of the lucky ones? My husband has

the best attitude and I can tell you he really believes he will respond

to treatment and survive. I know this man and I know he isn't "putting

on a front" etc.  He had WBR and 2 spine tumors zapped SRS, and is now

responding to Zelboraf (only 4 weeks, but nodes are shrinking and blood

work is improving). When and if stable, Doc is looking for Anti PD1 trial.

I his wife, who love him more than words can express, try to be hopeful

but am more of a realist. I know you will give it to me straight

Charlie, so any comments?? Thanks. He is 58 and was otherwise

the healthiest person I know.

POW
                                    Participant

Vicki, I'm sure you know the answer to your question. Is it possible that your husband will survive long-term, maybe forever? Yes, of course. There are people who pull through against seemingly impossible odds. And with new treatments being developed all the time, the odds for all of us are slowly getting better. Your husband will definitely survive longer and have a better quality of life with today's treatments than he would have 2 or 3 years ago.

But the more important question is, "What will you do with the extra time you do get?"

When my brother was first diagnosed, he was already stage IV with widely disseminated tumors including brain mets. He was given 2-3 months to live and told to contact hospice. Boy! Was THAT a kick in the stomach! But with WBR, SRS, and Zelboraf he actually did quite well for many months. The problem (in my opinion) was that he put his life on "hold" until he was all cured. He did not attempt to work. He refused to go to his old social haunts or allow friends to come visit him because he didn't feel like summoning up the energy. He refused to eat right and exercise to keep his strength up and boost his immune system. He just waited for the pills to work. He just sat around the house watching television and waiting for the tumors to be gone and for him to get his old energy back. Then one day he learned that his melanoma had become resistant to Zelboraf and that was the beginning of the end.

So whether your husband responds for 6 months or 6 years, my advice would be to make the most of every day. Plan to take a nice vacation– if when the time comes to go on the vacation he is not feeling up to it, so be it. Cancel your plans and lose the money and don't regret it. But don't put off making vacation plans until he's "cured" or until after the next set of scans or until until he doesn't have to deal with uncomfortable side effects any more. Same with everything else– encourage him to get out and do everything and anything either of you wants to do. Don't wait. If he ends up being a long-term survivor, what a heck of a fun life you will have! And if he doesn't end up being a long-term survivor, you will have made the most of your time together and you will have no regrets on that score. 

POW
                                      Participant

Vicki, I'm sure you know the answer to your question. Is it possible that your husband will survive long-term, maybe forever? Yes, of course. There are people who pull through against seemingly impossible odds. And with new treatments being developed all the time, the odds for all of us are slowly getting better. Your husband will definitely survive longer and have a better quality of life with today's treatments than he would have 2 or 3 years ago.

But the more important question is, "What will you do with the extra time you do get?"

When my brother was first diagnosed, he was already stage IV with widely disseminated tumors including brain mets. He was given 2-3 months to live and told to contact hospice. Boy! Was THAT a kick in the stomach! But with WBR, SRS, and Zelboraf he actually did quite well for many months. The problem (in my opinion) was that he put his life on "hold" until he was all cured. He did not attempt to work. He refused to go to his old social haunts or allow friends to come visit him because he didn't feel like summoning up the energy. He refused to eat right and exercise to keep his strength up and boost his immune system. He just waited for the pills to work. He just sat around the house watching television and waiting for the tumors to be gone and for him to get his old energy back. Then one day he learned that his melanoma had become resistant to Zelboraf and that was the beginning of the end.

So whether your husband responds for 6 months or 6 years, my advice would be to make the most of every day. Plan to take a nice vacation– if when the time comes to go on the vacation he is not feeling up to it, so be it. Cancel your plans and lose the money and don't regret it. But don't put off making vacation plans until he's "cured" or until after the next set of scans or until until he doesn't have to deal with uncomfortable side effects any more. Same with everything else– encourage him to get out and do everything and anything either of you wants to do. Don't wait. If he ends up being a long-term survivor, what a heck of a fun life you will have! And if he doesn't end up being a long-term survivor, you will have made the most of your time together and you will have no regrets on that score. 

POW
                                        Participant

randallgford
                                        Participant

with an extremely high tumor load (both lungs, liver, brain, abdomen, spine) can

randallgford
                                          Participant

Brendan
                                            Participant

Charlie,

Thanks for the reminder (as I watch my hair falling out from SRS, which obviuosly means it's working . . . ).

Brendan

Brendan
                                              Participant

Charlie,

Thanks for the reminder (as I watch my hair falling out from SRS, which obviuosly means it's working . . . ).

Brendan

Brendan
                                                Participant

Charlie,

Brendan

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics