The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

“Something woke up the melanoma”…or is it “a whole bunch of things have to happen”?

Forums General Melanoma Community “Something woke up the melanoma”…or is it “a whole bunch of things have to happen”?

Participant

Hi all, I would love to hear others' thoughts on this:

Before my WLE/SNB surgery, I had a full-body check, and the doctor at my dermatology clinic happened to mention that something must have "woken up the melanoma".  At the time, I thought that perhaps being pregnant with my second child was the culprit (the body's immune system is lowered to avoid rejecting the fetus). 

Upon the recommendation of my primary care doctor, I saw a medical geneticist and mentioned "something woke [it] up", and she immediately said that with cancer it's not just one thing that happens, but "a whole bunch of things that have to happen".

I have read "Anticancer" and skimmed similar books — I should mention I am also a thyroid cancer survivor (had both cancers at the same time unknowingly!), and am a mom in my 30s, so I feel obligated to try to figure out what I did to have this happen (with the melanoma, I have never tanned or sunbathed, and burn so easily that I try to stay out of the sun, so it is a little baffling!).  

My genetic testing results came back with no known genetic cause of either cancer.

Yes, on a bad day I am waiting for the other shoe to fall!

I know it is pointless to be worrying about what caused the cancer to start, I am simply just very curious and would love to have a few more pieces to the puzzle.

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Bubbles
        Participant

You, me and RBG (cancer survivor extraordinaire) would love to have the answer you seek.  I've never been a sun bather.  I have eaten all the veggies all my life.  I have exercised my ENTIRE life.  I have never been overweight.  I have never smoked.  Drank alcohol only in moderation.  Cancer of any sort does NOT run in my family.  I don't think I was an evil person in a prior life, thereby inducing Karma.  Okay?  Now what?  

Would I like answers?  Absolutely.  Do I think genetic testing can be helpful for some in our situation (and not in others…ie- the word "some")?  Yes!  Would I like to know what to do in order to prevent or avoid recurrence of my known cancers or development of a third?  For sure!  Am I likely to ever be given that info?  NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!  Then again……maybe I have!!

Having been diagnosed with Stage 3b melanoma in 2003 at the age of 39, advancing to Stage 4 in 2010, followed by 2 1/2 years of nivo (now NED for melanoma for more than 8 years) and ex-goblet cell adenocarcinoma of the appendix Stage 2, followed by 2 abdominal surgeries and 3 months of nasty chemo in the past 4 1/2 months, I may actually have the answer:  LIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  If you have been lucky enough to survive cancer TWICE ~ make every minute count.  Find what 'living' means to you and DO IT!!!  DAILY!!!

Perhaps someday you will attain the scientific cellular DNA answer you seek.  Someday science will attain a much better understanding of cancer in all regards.  But, the answer I have discovered can be embarked upon today!  I wish you my best.  (And I bet RBG does, too!)  Celeste

DommySonofMommy
            Participant

Celeste, thank you for sharing all that with me.  I was just curious to hear what sort of generalizations others have been told, if any.

I often find that the pressure to "enjoy every moment" just overwhelms me.  I hope that will change soon.

ed williams
            Participant

I thought you might find this interesting, from 'SITC" last year. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afdq8Op-jQM

betsyl
              Participant

Sorry you're going through this. It definitely sucks.

I recommend the book The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer by Siddhartha Mukherjee. It was also made into a fantastic documentary by Ken Burns.

Viewing 2 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics