The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Someone here who had been diagnosed a long time ago..?

Forums General Melanoma Community Someone here who had been diagnosed a long time ago..?

Participant

Hello! I have been diagnosed with melanoma stage 2 b in September 2016. While I am in a panic and I want to ask, is  someone here who had been diagnosed with mm at least 15-20 years ago and NED? Maybe 30 years? Is it real?  Maybe someone has such positive stories…

Viewing 20 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

Be realistic.  If you had been diagnosed 20-30 years ago and are NED, would you be visiting sites like this on a regular basis?   Certainly there are MANY who fit this category but if you are NED, why would you stick around and post?  Maybe visit on occasion but they have no reason to stick around.  In my 15 years on this board, I have had many friends fit the "over 10" and some the "over 20".  The reality of "forums" and websites like this is the people who have issues stay around and the ones who are NED move on.

Janner

Stage 1b since 1992, 3 MM primaries

Janner
          Participant

Be realistic.  If you had been diagnosed 20-30 years ago and are NED, would you be visiting sites like this on a regular basis?   Certainly there are MANY who fit this category but if you are NED, why would you stick around and post?  Maybe visit on occasion but they have no reason to stick around.  In my 15 years on this board, I have had many friends fit the "over 10" and some the "over 20".  The reality of "forums" and websites like this is the people who have issues stay around and the ones who are NED move on.

Janner

Janner
            Participant

Janner

Fen
              Participant

Janner is right.  I was diagnosed over 10 years ago and have seen many people hang out here for awhile then go off and live long happy lives.  I'm the oddity who continues to visit the board to learn about the new treatments and offer a little support when I can even though I'm ned.

Fen

Fen
                Participant

Janner is right.  I was diagnosed over 10 years ago and have seen many people hang out here for awhile then go off and live long happy lives.  I'm the oddity who continues to visit the board to learn about the new treatments and offer a little support when I can even though I'm ned.

Fen

Fen
                  Participant

Fen

JC
                    Participant

You might find that kind of information more in long-term studies that give % statistics over X years by stage etc…

JC
                      Participant

You might find that kind of information more in long-term studies that give % statistics over X years by stage etc…

JC
                        Participant

Tim–MRF

I agree with Janner and Fen, but will also say that countless people have benefitted from the fact that some people do stick around and continute to offer support and information.

You have probably read the statistics, that 10 year survival for Stage IIb melanoma is just under 60%. You should ignore that statistic, and here is why:

First, those numbers are a record of what has happened to a large group of people over the past many years. They say nothing about what will happen to a single person over the next several years.

Second, the treatment landscape for melanoma is changing rapidly, with more and more options being explored even for early stage patients. The impact almost certainly will be a major shift in those survival numbers once the data catches up.

Your best approach is to be grateful your melanoma was caught early, remain vigilant, and go on with your life. If you find yourself consumed with anxiety about this you may want to see a counselor who can help you sort through what you are feeling.

Tim–MRF

Tim–MRF

I agree with Janner and Fen, but will also say that countless people have benefitted from the fact that some people do stick around and continute to offer support and information.

You have probably read the statistics, that 10 year survival for Stage IIb melanoma is just under 60%. You should ignore that statistic, and here is why:

First, those numbers are a record of what has happened to a large group of people over the past many years. They say nothing about what will happen to a single person over the next several years.

Second, the treatment landscape for melanoma is changing rapidly, with more and more options being explored even for early stage patients. The impact almost certainly will be a major shift in those survival numbers once the data catches up.

Your best approach is to be grateful your melanoma was caught early, remain vigilant, and go on with your life. If you find yourself consumed with anxiety about this you may want to see a counselor who can help you sort through what you are feeling.

Tim–MRF

Tim–MRF

Tim–MRF

Kim K
                                Participant

OK, so like I was stage 2A in 2002, became stage IV in 2009, NED in 2010 and remain that way today.  Does that count?  I guess that would put me still undead for 14 going on 15 years.

Kim K
                                  Participant

OK, so like I was stage 2A in 2002, became stage IV in 2009, NED in 2010 and remain that way today.  Does that count?  I guess that would put me still undead for 14 going on 15 years.

Kim K
                                    Participant

Carole K
                                        Participant

KIM K how you be?  I tried calling you the other day.  Big hugs.

I Have known Kim since she came to MPIP.  I have known Janner for a bit longer. I am not sure who came to MPIP first me or Janner.  I am a stage IV Survivor it will be 16 years in Jan. after multiple mets to both lungs and to my brain.  If I can be of any help please know I am here for you.  Hang tough.  Yes, there are many many long term usrvivors.  

Love and Light

Carole K 

Carole K
                                          Participant

I Have known Kim since she came to MPIP.  I have known Janner for a bit longer. I am not sure who came to MPIP first me or Janner.  I am a stage IV Survivor it will be 16 years in Jan. after multiple mets to both lungs and to my brain.  If I can be of any help please know I am here for you.  Hang tough.  Yes, there are many many long term usrvivors.  

Love and Light

Carole K 

Carole K
                                            Participant

Love and Light

Carole K 

Cindyco
                                            Participant

Thank you to everyone who is NED or stable, who stays active on the forum to help everyone else.  Your advice and continued support to those still struggling has been so appreciated by myself and my family (and many others, I'm sure).  The amount of shared knowledge and shared experience has been so helpful to us.  We started this journey with so much fear, due to the overwhelmingly negative statistics and negative information on the internet.  There are still those days, especially whenever something doesn't go as planned, but there are also days of hope.  I am hopeful for everyone on this board and hopeful for new advancements in the field every day.  Stay strong everyone!

Cindyco
                                              Participant

Thank you to everyone who is NED or stable, who stays active on the forum to help everyone else.  Your advice and continued support to those still struggling has been so appreciated by myself and my family (and many others, I'm sure).  The amount of shared knowledge and shared experience has been so helpful to us.  We started this journey with so much fear, due to the overwhelmingly negative statistics and negative information on the internet.  There are still those days, especially whenever something doesn't go as planned, but there are also days of hope.  I am hopeful for everyone on this board and hopeful for new advancements in the field every day.  Stay strong everyone!

cc
                                                  Participant

My father-in-law was diagnosed at stage 3 on his foot that travelled to lymph nodes  ,in 1976.  Following surgery, he remains NED today at the age of 84.

he remains NED at the age of 84.

cc
                                                    Participant

My father-in-law was diagnosed at stage 3 on his foot that travelled to lymph nodes  ,in 1976.  Following surgery, he remains NED today at the age of 84.

cc
                                                      Participant

Cindyco
                                                      Participant

DebbieH
                                                        Participant

Hello there,

Oh I remember being in your shoes and I was desperate to hear of someone, anyone, who was still ok years later.  This is where I found them!

I was stage 3C in 2001, did interferon, and I'm fine all these years later.  I have had 7 more grandchildren and life is grand.  I personally know (thanks to this board) many others who are still going strong at least as long as me at stage 3 and some at stage 4.  The statistics are depressing but you are NOT a number.  If we can do this, so can you.  Good luck to you.

DebbieH, stage 3C, NED 15+ years!

DebbieH
                                                          Participant

Hello there,

Oh I remember being in your shoes and I was desperate to hear of someone, anyone, who was still ok years later.  This is where I found them!

I was stage 3C in 2001, did interferon, and I'm fine all these years later.  I have had 7 more grandchildren and life is grand.  I personally know (thanks to this board) many others who are still going strong at least as long as me at stage 3 and some at stage 4.  The statistics are depressing but you are NOT a number.  If we can do this, so can you.  Good luck to you.

DebbieH
                                                            Participant

Hello there,

Viewing 20 reply threads
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics