The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Some good news

Forums General Melanoma Community Some good news

Participant

Yesterday I got the result of the Braf re-test and I'm positive this time. I hope I can slow down this monster with the targeted therapy, hopefully my adrenals will behave in the meantime and I can do TIL! My shoulder is starting to really bother me.

Prayers ,

Dana

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        Ginger8888
        Participant

Congrats!!!! Idk if i'm BRAF or not but am starting on Yervoy in a couple weeks..Stage 3 C..

Ginger8888
          Participant

Congrats!!!! Idk if i'm BRAF or not but am starting on Yervoy in a couple weeks..Stage 3 C..

Ginger8888
            Participant

RJoeyB
              Participant

Interesting that you were positive on retest, glad to hear that it's an option for you now. Have you discussed with your medical oncologist which BRAF inhibitor you're going to use and if you'll be doing a combination of BRAF and MEK or just BRAF "straight up"?

I'm curious what other's might know on this topic. Are there any clear reasons to use vemurafenib or dabrafenib? And since the dabrefenib/trametinib BRAF/MEK combo are also approved therapies, is it always given now in combination (and if so, why not)?

As far as your shoulder, when will you be seeing your radiation and orthopedic oncologists to discuss options for the shoulder met?

RJoeyB
                Participant

Interesting that you were positive on retest, glad to hear that it's an option for you now. Have you discussed with your medical oncologist which BRAF inhibitor you're going to use and if you'll be doing a combination of BRAF and MEK or just BRAF "straight up"?

I'm curious what other's might know on this topic. Are there any clear reasons to use vemurafenib or dabrafenib? And since the dabrefenib/trametinib BRAF/MEK combo are also approved therapies, is it always given now in combination (and if so, why not)?

As far as your shoulder, when will you be seeing your radiation and orthopedic oncologists to discuss options for the shoulder met?

RJoeyB
                  Participant

Mat
                    Participant

Great news Dana!  I'm sure you've seen posts from me and others re: the GSK combo.  While everyone is different, my side effects have been minor and manageable, e.g., I've never missed a day of work (or with family) due to side effects from the combo.

Polymath
                        Participant

Hi Dana and others, First time posting here, but been through a lot over last 15 months since original diagnosis.  Discovering this board has been a blessing.

Specifically, I am BRAF positive and after going Stage IV and done with surgeries, I did Vemerafenib (Zelboraf) first with amazing results as far as tumor elimination, but with really awful side-effects.  Really only lasted 3 months before progressing.  Now starting 3rd month of the MEK/TAF combo.  Its been a relief with almost no side-effects whatsoever, and I've mostly recovered from the ZEL side-effects.  BUT, the combo has only managed to hold my tumors stable, not shrink or eliminate.  I guess I'm not really responding but stable is better than progressing and since I look and feel great again, I'll take it.  Seems there are no hard and fast rules.  Everyone seems to react differently.  I'll be moving on to Yervoy next and can only hope I respond to that.  Hope you are a responder and your treatment is effective.  best to you and yours.

Polymath
                          Participant

Hi Dana and others, First time posting here, but been through a lot over last 15 months since original diagnosis.  Discovering this board has been a blessing.

Specifically, I am BRAF positive and after going Stage IV and done with surgeries, I did Vemerafenib (Zelboraf) first with amazing results as far as tumor elimination, but with really awful side-effects.  Really only lasted 3 months before progressing.  Now starting 3rd month of the MEK/TAF combo.  Its been a relief with almost no side-effects whatsoever, and I've mostly recovered from the ZEL side-effects.  BUT, the combo has only managed to hold my tumors stable, not shrink or eliminate.  I guess I'm not really responding but stable is better than progressing and since I look and feel great again, I'll take it.  Seems there are no hard and fast rules.  Everyone seems to react differently.  I'll be moving on to Yervoy next and can only hope I respond to that.  Hope you are a responder and your treatment is effective.  best to you and yours.

Polymath
                            Participant

Polymath
                              Participant

Specifically, I am BRAF positive and after going Stage IV and done with surgeries, I did Vemurafenib (Zelboraf) first with amazing results as far as tumor elimination, but with really awful side-effects.  Really only lasted 3 months before progressing.  Now starting 3rd month of the MEK/TAF combo.  Its been a relief with almost no side-effects whatsoever, and I've mostly recovered from the ZEL side-effects.  BUT, the combo has only managed to hold my tumors stable, not shrink or eliminate.  I guess I'm not really responding but stable is better than progressing and since I look and feel great again, I'll take it.  Seems there are no hard and fast rules.  Everyone seems to react differently.  I'll be moving on to Yervoy next and can only hope I respond to that.  Hope you are a responder and your treatment is effective.  best to you and yours.

Polymath
                                Participant

Specifically, I am BRAF positive and after going Stage IV and done with surgeries, I did Vemurafenib (Zelboraf) first with amazing results as far as tumor elimination, but with really awful side-effects.  Really only lasted 3 months before progressing.  Now starting 3rd month of the MEK/TAF combo.  Its been a relief with almost no side-effects whatsoever, and I've mostly recovered from the ZEL side-effects.  BUT, the combo has only managed to hold my tumors stable, not shrink or eliminate.  I guess I'm not really responding but stable is better than progressing and since I look and feel great again, I'll take it.  Seems there are no hard and fast rules.  Everyone seems to react differently.  I'll be moving on to Yervoy next and can only hope I respond to that.  Hope you are a responder and your treatment is effective.  best to you and yours.

Polymath
                                  Participant

Mat
                                  Participant

Great news Dana!  I'm sure you've seen posts from me and others re: the GSK combo.  While everyone is different, my side effects have been minor and manageable, e.g., I've never missed a day of work (or with family) due to side effects from the combo.

Mat
                                    Participant

Nadia
                                      Participant

My Husband is BRaf positive (600E) and although Vemurafenib (Zelboraf) is the drug currently aproved as main treatment in our province (Alberta), he was prescribed Dabrafenib (Tafinlar).  He is on it for 14 days now, he had several side effects, none of them lasted more than one day and none of them stopped him from going to work full time and enjoy his life.  

My understanding is that the side effects from Dabrafenib are nowhere near as bad as the side effects from Vemurafenib.

I am a little surprised they retested and find you BRaf positive, but I'm very happy for you, hopefully the BRaf meds will shrink your tumours significantly and give your adrenals some time to heal until. 

Nadia
                                        Participant

My Husband is BRaf positive (600E) and although Vemurafenib (Zelboraf) is the drug currently aproved as main treatment in our province (Alberta), he was prescribed Dabrafenib (Tafinlar).  He is on it for 14 days now, he had several side effects, none of them lasted more than one day and none of them stopped him from going to work full time and enjoy his life.  

My understanding is that the side effects from Dabrafenib are nowhere near as bad as the side effects from Vemurafenib.

I am a little surprised they retested and find you BRaf positive, but I'm very happy for you, hopefully the BRaf meds will shrink your tumours significantly and give your adrenals some time to heal until. 

Nadia
                                          Participant

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics