The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

some advice please?

Forums General Melanoma Community some advice please?

Participant

Hi my dad is 10 months down the track after his original diagnosis of stage 3. He had a craniotomy for a single met 5 weeks ago. Now he has 4 mets in liver and one in his spleen. He starts B RAF in a week. A CT scan is organised before he commences the drug but Im wondering why they haven't also arranged an MRI? There is one booked for 2 months after surgery but should we wait this long? My concern is that his original met in the brain doubled in 6 weeks and bleed, and I'm hoping he might be a candidate SRS rather than another craniotomy. What would you do?

Hi my dad is 10 months down the track after his original diagnosis of stage 3. He had a craniotomy for a single met 5 weeks ago. Now he has 4 mets in liver and one in his spleen. He starts B RAF in a week. A CT scan is organised before he commences the drug but Im wondering why they haven't also arranged an MRI? There is one booked for 2 months after surgery but should we wait this long? My concern is that his original met in the brain doubled in 6 weeks and bleed, and I'm hoping he might be a candidate SRS rather than another craniotomy. What would you do?

Has anyone heard of positive stories with liver mets? My dads cannot be resected apparently. We are living every day like life will end in months and its so heartbreaking. I need some hope.

Nahmi in Melbourne

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        PlantLady
        Participant

Here is a link that has some types of surgery listed, such as Radio Frequency Ablation of tumors that are non-operable.  While it is on a site for Ocular Melanoma, it still lists various types of alternatives for metasteses.

http://www.lafn.org/~bc534/OcularMelMets.htm

Maybe you will find something in it to get you started.

CJ – wife of Ron, Stage IV, mets in lung, bone, & adrenal.  No known primary.

PlantLady
          Participant

Here is a link that has some types of surgery listed, such as Radio Frequency Ablation of tumors that are non-operable.  While it is on a site for Ocular Melanoma, it still lists various types of alternatives for metasteses.

http://www.lafn.org/~bc534/OcularMelMets.htm

Maybe you will find something in it to get you started.

CJ – wife of Ron, Stage IV, mets in lung, bone, & adrenal.  No known primary.

FormerCaregiver
            Participant

Nahmi, thanks for the update on your dad. Sorry to read of the new mets, but it is encouraging that he is starting on a BRAF inhibitor next week. Hope that he is recovering well after the craniotomy.

A CT scan is the standard scan that is usually done. If there is anything of concern that shows up on the CT, then oncologists will consider doing an MRI for the brain or a PET scan for other areas depending on circumstances.

There is the possibilty that liver mets might be able to be treated with local chemo, but I am not sure if this technique is available here in Melbourne.

Both liver and brain mets are serious problems, and undoubtedly you realise this. Unfortunately, there are no easy answers as to what one should do. I would try to have confidence in what your dad's oncologist has to say.

Hope this helps.

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
              Participant

Nahmi, thanks for the update on your dad. Sorry to read of the new mets, but it is encouraging that he is starting on a BRAF inhibitor next week. Hope that he is recovering well after the craniotomy.

A CT scan is the standard scan that is usually done. If there is anything of concern that shows up on the CT, then oncologists will consider doing an MRI for the brain or a PET scan for other areas depending on circumstances.

There is the possibilty that liver mets might be able to be treated with local chemo, but I am not sure if this technique is available here in Melbourne.

Both liver and brain mets are serious problems, and undoubtedly you realise this. Unfortunately, there are no easy answers as to what one should do. I would try to have confidence in what your dad's oncologist has to say.

Hope this helps.

Frank from Australia

Viewing 3 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics