The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Social Security Disability – has anyone lost it after 4 years?

Forums General Melanoma Community Social Security Disability – has anyone lost it after 4 years?

Participant

Hi gang. I've been on Social Security Disability for about 5 years due to melanoma. A stage III diagnosis is an automatic yes, and I was Stage IV when I applied. Anyway… I have THANKFULLY been NED for 4 and a half years, and have simply been living my life without the stress of having to hold down a job. Hubby makes a good income, and my disability helps us pay the bills.

Hi gang. I've been on Social Security Disability for about 5 years due to melanoma. A stage III diagnosis is an automatic yes, and I was Stage IV when I applied. Anyway… I have THANKFULLY been NED for 4 and a half years, and have simply been living my life without the stress of having to hold down a job. Hubby makes a good income, and my disability helps us pay the bills.

Well, SS sent me a re-evaluation form to decide if I still need to be on disability. So I'm a bit afraid that they will determine that I'm no longer disabled, even though I'm still considered a stage-IV patient. (I also have lymphedema, which lately has been more of a hindrance than the melanoma has).

If you or someone you know was on SSD for melanoma, and lost it… would you let me know? OR if you've been re-evaluated, and they let you stay on it… please also respond. It would help with my nail-biting!

Love to you all!

Jackie Doss, Stage IV NED… Dallas, TX

Viewing 7 reply threads
    • Replies

Congratulations on your NED status!  Keep going.

I have just been put on SS disability myself.  Could you let me know the outcome when you learn the decision?  I have been wondering the same thing. 

Shelly in Switzerland stage IV

Congratulations on your NED status!  Keep going.

I have just been put on SS disability myself.  Could you let me know the outcome when you learn the decision?  I have been wondering the same thing. 

Shelly in Switzerland stage IV

NancyGM
        Participant

Hi Jackie, I am in the appeal process for 5 months now. I have been stage IV for 4 years and for 3 years of that I have been NED .  I was sent the redetermination application after 3 years on disability and was turned down. Feel free to e-mail me and I will tell you more about this.

The disability redetermination person got my Oncologist to approve moving up the date of my yearly PET scan ( to next week) so that at least I will have that covered by medicaid/medicare this month if he ends up turning me down.

NancyGM
          Participant

Hi Jackie, I am in the appeal process for 5 months now. I have been stage IV for 4 years and for 3 years of that I have been NED .  I was sent the redetermination application after 3 years on disability and was turned down. Feel free to e-mail me and I will tell you more about this.

The disability redetermination person got my Oncologist to approve moving up the date of my yearly PET scan ( to next week) so that at least I will have that covered by medicaid/medicare this month if he ends up turning me down.

KRob
            Participant

Hi, Jackie.

You and I are about on the same time table with our stage IV diagnosis….I haven't been on here for awhile so it's great to see you doing well. As to your question/concern about disability….

Since being diagnosed stage IV Feb. of '05, I didn't apply for disability until Oct. of '07 after a relapse. I have also chosen quality of life and remained on disability since that time. I am on STRS of Ohio disability. Last summer ('10) STRS requested a review of my case. I was worried too because while I am healthy-looking at present, but the entire process and lingering effects of both the treatment and emotional/mental trauma of living with mel has left me a different person than I was before (as I'm sure you know).

I worry about the stress of the effects and the job (teaching) taking a toll on me again (keep doing what's working…right?)

My lead oncologist asked me what I wanted to do and I told him my concerns and he said, "I completely agree. This is not a disease with which to take risks…(additionally) given the uncertain climate of the healthcare system, I wouldn't want you to leave the system because it might be very difficult to get back on. I know what it takes to keep you on but I can't guarantee I can get you back."

Enough said. He filled out the paperwork and my review was accepted as plausible by the disability board and I was renewed.

Talk to your doc. Speak your concerns and I'm sure they'll agree.

Take care,

Karen

KRob
              Participant

Hi, Jackie.

You and I are about on the same time table with our stage IV diagnosis….I haven't been on here for awhile so it's great to see you doing well. As to your question/concern about disability….

Since being diagnosed stage IV Feb. of '05, I didn't apply for disability until Oct. of '07 after a relapse. I have also chosen quality of life and remained on disability since that time. I am on STRS of Ohio disability. Last summer ('10) STRS requested a review of my case. I was worried too because while I am healthy-looking at present, but the entire process and lingering effects of both the treatment and emotional/mental trauma of living with mel has left me a different person than I was before (as I'm sure you know).

I worry about the stress of the effects and the job (teaching) taking a toll on me again (keep doing what's working…right?)

My lead oncologist asked me what I wanted to do and I told him my concerns and he said, "I completely agree. This is not a disease with which to take risks…(additionally) given the uncertain climate of the healthcare system, I wouldn't want you to leave the system because it might be very difficult to get back on. I know what it takes to keep you on but I can't guarantee I can get you back."

Enough said. He filled out the paperwork and my review was accepted as plausible by the disability board and I was renewed.

Take care,

Karen

KRob
                Participant

Hi, Jackie.

Take care,

Karen

KRob
                  Participant

Hi, Jackie.

Take care,

Karen

Viewing 7 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics