The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

So good to find a Melonoma Patient Forum

Forums General Melanoma Community So good to find a Melonoma Patient Forum

Participant
      So nice to find this group.  I dont feel so alone with all of this.

Two weeks ago I was diagnosed with stage 1 melanoma in my right elbow.  Since I have leukemia it terrified me at first, but as I educated myself about it I have felt calmer.  But after talking with the American Cancer Society I also decided what i wanted from my doctors.  Dealing with a large center like city of hope is very intimidating so it is taking all my courage.  To date they have told me that they need to take out lymph nodes to biopsy and perform surgery on August 26, 2021.  6 weeks after a shave biopsy.  I have leukemia which means I have no immune system to fight this off.  I want the wide excision moved up and a reason to remove lymph glands since I am just stage 1.  I would appreciate your thoughts and I am so looking forward to learning about all of your experiences.

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        Bubbles
        Participant
          Hi Jeanie,

Sorry for your need to be here, but welcome!  I am glad you/your docs found your lesion so early!  The earlier found, the better the prognosis is for melanoma.  For an explanation, which I think you are asking for…

Given the shave biopsy, it is clear that all the melanoma lesion has not been removed.  Therefore, a WLE (wide local excision) is required to remove all of the melanoma and gain clear margins all around.  At the same time, sentinel lymph nodes (nodes that light up when a tracer dye is injected at the site of the lesion) will be removed.  There are usually somewhere between 1-3.  We have learned that removing all the nodes in the area  is NOT needed and does not prolong life.  However, removing and testing the sentinel node is necessary so that you can know what stage of melanoma you have.  If the nodes are clear – YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  You would most likely be Stage I.   As such, you would be unlikely to need any treatment other than follow-up skin checks.  However, if you have a positive node, you would be Stage III and in need of further examination and to consider systemic treatment.

If you like deets and research, here is a post and article that explains further:  https://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2019/03/clnd-in-melanoma-patients-is-not.html One important note:  It is essential that the WLE and SLNB be done at the same time.  If the WLE is done with the expectation that lymph nodes will be examined later – the WLE will disrupt the flow of lymph and make finding the SLN(s) impossible.

I hope that helps.  Ask more questions as you have the need.  This site is filled with smart caring peeps.   Will keep fingers and toes crossed that further surgery will be uneventful, melanoma free, and healing will be quick!  Take good care and let us know how things go.  Celeste

ed williams
            Participant
              Hi Jeanie, from reading your profile page you state that the depth of shave melanoma is 1.3 mm pT2a from shave biopsy. At this point they don’t have enough information for an accurate stage to be given based on depth of shave alone. The eight edition for staging recommend all melanoma patients have a SLND (sentinel node biopsy) for depth 1mm and greater, this was based on thousands of patients over the years that they have followed to establish this base line. Once the sentinel node are removed and checked then staging can be completed. Here is some staging information that might help you, to go along with what Bubbles has given you. https://www.aimatmelanoma.org/stages-of-melanoma/    https://link.springer.com/article/10.1245%2Fs10434-018-6513-7
            Jeanie
            Participant
              I spoke to the american cancer society and they suggested that I ask them for a good explanation of why they want to remove lymph nodes because of it causing lymphedema.  That makes sense to me because it seems the lymph is blocked and swelling occurs when a node is removed.  There are non invasive ways of checking nodes for cancer i.e. ct, ultra sound, etc.  Has anyone on the forum had lymphedema following a lymph gland removal?  Has anyone had non invasive ways of checking lymph nodes?
                Jeanie
                Participant
                  Thank you for your response.  Your experience is very valuable to me.  Another question.  They have set me up for 6 weeks after the shave biopsy for the surgery.  My concern is the shave biopsy is an open wound.  Will it spread further and change my stage?   Waiting 6 weeks for a wide excision, (especially with leukemia) will that more than likely make it spread to the lymph nodes.  I know that these are questions i should be asking my doctor, but it is city of hope and all I get is his team saying the doctor says I have to do the surgery. The same with the surgeon.  At first I wasnt that knowledge able and just reacted by getting scared and depressed but I have educated myself more now and feel calm enough to now think about what I want.   What is your experience with waiting 6 weeks for wide excision and your thoughts?

Thank you all for being here.

Bubbles
                Participant
                  I have had two COMPLETE radical lymphadenectomies – to both axilla and neither caused me lymphedema.  These were done before we knew that a complete dissection is not needed – 2003 and 2007.  Now we know that you need to check only the sentinel nodes in order to determine whether or not there has been spread.  Since we have effective treatments for Stage III patients that is very important information.  The incidence of lymphedema from a sentinel node biopsy is very small.

Ultrasounds have been used to evaluate sentinel nodes.  This is what was found about that:  https://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2019/07/pre-operative-ultrasound-of-lymph-nodes.html

Almost all of us here have had to have sentinel node biopsies.  I am sure others will chime in.  c

MelWave
                  Participant
                    Hi Jeanie,

6 weeks is reasonable wait time. Waiting will not change your stage.

Melanoma starts “shedding” cells into your lymph nodes and your blood at some point in its development. Usually these cells are killed off by the immune system (you still have immune system even with leukaemia so do not worry about it) or are unable to take hold in your body to form metastases but in some cases they can resist the immune system and can form them.

The doctors want to take out a few of your lymph nodes because finding melanoma cells in them gives them a good indication that you might have cells in other place in your body that are capable of forming metastases. The cells they find would not be the cells that went there in these 6 weeks, it is a longer process. It is very safe procedure and in your situation very very important, because if they do find cells there you have access to very effective treatments that can prevent further spread.

You are still in the middle of your diagnosis. The doctors are following a standard protocol and there aren’t good alternatives now (really. no matter what someone told you – you could discuss and you would arrive to the same conclusion – you need to have the standard tests), so that’s why they haven’t discussed things with you. If they do find cells in your lymph nodes there will be discussion about treatment (or at least you should expect one).

Best of luck!

CynthiaLee
                    Participant
                      I had a Stage 1a melanoma removed six years ago from the area near crease where your ear and head meet behind the ear. I had a sentinel node biopsy, actually I think they took 3. The risk for lymphodema is very, very small when just removing the sentinel nodes but very beneficial. I would not be concerned about it, I would rather know if I had progressed to another stage. Six weeks seems like forever while we wait but the time frame should be fine. Best of luck.
                      jbronicki
                      Participant
                        Hi Jeanie,

Sorry you joined this group and I know you are in the initial information gathering stage which is always intense.  Any medical intervention or procedure is a risk (side effects, other outcomes)/reward (accurate staging and best practices moving forward based on accurate information) assessment and this assessment absolutely favors getting the sentinel lymph node biopsy.  Nothing is absolutely 100% but a biopsy and subsequent view under the microscope of the tissue is far more accurate and pretty close to 100% than non-invasive ultrasound will be in detecting tiny amounts of melanoma.

I can tell you anecdotally that my husband had his SLNB (they took 3 out along with his large melanoma) after fairly large WLE (he had very large 22 mm nodular melanoma on his shoulder).  No lymphedema afterwards, good recovery and went to work the day after.  He said his armpit pinched a bit from where they took out one of the lymph nodes.  My husband did have ultrasound imaging but not until AFTER his SNLB.  They used non-invasive ultrasound imaging every 3 months to try to detect a recurrence in the Lymph basin.   This was part of his surveillance since he was high-risk (along with other scanning), but not until after they initially checked his sentinel lymph nodes through removal and biopsy.  there are some false positives and negatives with the ultrasound (so some get unneccessary further inteventions like biopsy and some do not get a needed intervention).

You got great advice above form others and data from Celeste.  My opinion is that the benefit/risk is pretty far on the side of getting the SNLB.  I would jump all over that for the information it will provide.

Good luck!  I know it is a lot of tough choices and overwhelming information at time and you will get different information from various sources, so best bet is to go with the evidence and data.

Many hugs!  Wishing you negative results no matter what.

Jeanie
                        Participant
                          Thank you so much for your responses.  Because of your comments I am going forward with the surgery.   I’ve always had confidence in City of Hope.  It’s why i drive 1000 miles round trip.  But just when I thought i had a handle on the leukemia, this hit.  I met a lot of nice people on zoom over the pandemic and now you.  I feel resigned to go.  I’ve read and talked with people and feel like I have the understanding to make a decision.  They just moved so fast at city and I felt like I didnt have a voice.  Mainly, because I just didnt know how very serious melanoma is and how hard it is when you find it late.  I found mine early.  I knew it was melanoma even though I’ve always had moles.  But I couldnt get anyone to see me here in Sacramento.  I went to southern california to see my first great grandson made an appointment at city of hope for the same time.  Even the dermatologist didnt think it was melanoma that’s why he just took a shave biopsy.  I didnt take it seriously because no one else did.  But reading about it is pretty scary.  It travels thru the blood vessels and lymph.  I just thought it was like a basel cell.  Again, I am blown away by your kindness and knowledge.
                          Ellenb626
                          Participant
                            Hi Jeanie.

I had one sentinel node in my left armpit removed 2 years ago when I had a WLE for the melanoma in my upper left arm.  Yes after surgery my armpit hurt and I used an ice pack.  Then it stopped hurting and I have no swelling and no problem.  I just have a line from the scar.  I found exercise was very helpful to my recovery.  Good luck.

Jeanie
                            Participant
                              I think I am uncomfortable because there is so much more to this surgery than when I had a biopsy from a node in my abdomen.  I have to go in and see the anesthesiologist and have xrays and testing and it’s called a pre admit and I dont know what else.  Also, I have to stop all my meds and supplement 7 days before the surgery.  My surgery is called Nuclear Medicine Lymph General/Melanoma.  She wants my Directive before the surgery and I looked at the contract that she rushed me through and she is not employed by City of Hope, neither her nor the anesthesiologist. And in the contract I had to pre agree to blood transfusions in the event that I need them.  Now, I put the diagnoses
                              which is:A. SKIN, RIGHT ELBOW, SHAVE BIOPSY:

• Invasive melanoma, superficial spreading type, Breslow thickness 1.3 mm, Clark level III, nonulcerated
                              • Tumor present very close to deep and peripheral tissue edges
                              • Pathologic stage (AJCC eighth edition): pT2a

I cant seem to wrap my head around why is there so much to this somewhat minor surgery?  I felt pretty confident because I thought she was part of City of Hope but now I find she’s an independent contractor and so is the anesthesiologist.   Was it this technical and so many rules when all of you had your wide excision and sentinal lymph gland removal ?

Ellenb626
                              Participant
                                My melanoma was stage 2b but because it was near my left armpit the dermatologist said they would probably check the lymph nodes.  As soon as I heard the word melanoma and the dr told me I needed a WLE, I called MSK  and had the slides sent there and the surgeon arènes everything. The surgery and the lymph node scan and removal  was done at the same time. The oncologist is also a Sloan doctor. All of this is covered by Medicare and my insurance.  I think dealing with the insurance company and make sure all the information is sent over is very stressful. I don’t know where you live but I would tell you to go to one of the major centers that treat melanoma.  Sometimes a second opinion is well worth it. Also ask the doctor all your questions and bring someone with you. Good luck
                                Ellenb626
                                Participant
                                  Typo arranged everything
                                  one sentinel lymph node troves with 6mm of melanoma which made me stage 3b. Fast forward 2 years later and the melanoma spread to my left lung 1/2 inch big andI am now stage 4 and getting immunotherapy- keytruda. Sorry for the typos, typing on an iPhone is annoying.
                                    Jeanie
                                    Participant
                                      I am so sorry Ellen, you must be very scared.  This is a scary disease.  What kind of immunotherapy are you getting?

soonerjenn14
                                    Participant
                                      Hi Jeanie,

Sorry you have a need to be here, but this is a very caring group with a lot of information to share so you are in the right place. I see some of our experts have already chimed in and I agree, you should proceed with the WLE and SLNB so you will have a more accurate picture of what is going on. My case was a little different; they could already tell I had it in my lymph nodes at my first consult so they put me on immunotherapy and then targeted therapy first to fight it before surgery. I was diagnosed in March 2020 and finally had my surgery in June 2021. I did have a complete lymphadenectomy along with tumor removal, but again my case was a little different since they knew I had melanoma in my lymph nodes from the start. Luckily for me, it did not spread anywhere else (I was originally diagnosed as stage IV and later restaged to IIIC after a liver biopsy confirmed a spot was benign). I had to keep my drain for a whopping 27 days because I was still producing too much lymphatic fluid, but I have had no issues with lymphedema since they took it out. I am now considered NED. I know 6 weeks feels like forever, but try to stay positive!

Best of luck to you!! Sending lots of positive energy your way!

Jenn

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics