The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

So Confused

Forums General Melanoma Community So Confused

Participant

Hi to all, sorry we haven't posted in quite awhile but things have been rather hectic here. My husbands most recent PET (12/13/12) showed mixed results with some decrease in some mets, but progression in some others. He is still on Zel, 3 pills morning and night. We tried to up the dosage to the full dose of 4 and 4, but he just can't tolerate that amount. He was also in the hospital for a few days due to a perforated bowel, which thank the Lord, healed over on it's own, because the surgeon didn't think he would be strong enough for an operation. Now the Drs.

Hi to all, sorry we haven't posted in quite awhile but things have been rather hectic here. My husbands most recent PET (12/13/12) showed mixed results with some decrease in some mets, but progression in some others. He is still on Zel, 3 pills morning and night. We tried to up the dosage to the full dose of 4 and 4, but he just can't tolerate that amount. He was also in the hospital for a few days due to a perforated bowel, which thank the Lord, healed over on it's own, because the surgeon didn't think he would be strong enough for an operation. Now the Drs. are suggesting Yervoy, in combination with a low dose of Zel, (2 and 2). I am so scared, because I thought that the combination of the two causes liver toxicity. We want to make the right choice, but what's right? As of now, the decision is to take another scan the beginning of Feb. and see what that shows, but if we wait too long things could get out of control since Yervoy takes time to show any benefit. Also, since Yervoy has colitis as a side effect, is it wise since he already had a perforated bowel, and an operation is not an option at this time? As our subject line stated, we are so confused, don't want to make the wrong choices. Any input would be very much appreciated. Oh, also, one of the Drs. mentioned to us that there is a possibility (not definite) that the BRAF/MEK combo might be approved for use in the next couple of months. Hope so, but don't believe it till I see it. Praying for everyone! Thanks.

Jo (Mickeys' wife)

Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Replies
        NYKaren
        Participant
          Hi Jo,
          Sorry to hear of Mickey’s difficulties. I agree w/your concern about yervoy; even when my ipi colitis was mild they wouldn’t hear of continuing it. What does Dr. Pavlick say? You might want to go to the Yervoy website & check for contra-indications.
          I heard that the BRAF/MEK combo can be hard on the body, but it seems like everything is. First I heard early 2013 for approval, now hearing maybe–I wonder what everyone else has heard.

Wishing you a better 2013!
          Karen

I hope

Mickey n Jo
            Participant

Thanks Karen for your reply. Dr. Pavlick is the one suggesting the combo of Zel and Yervoy. We are going to speak with her again to voice some of our concerns.

Mickey n Jo
              Participant

Thanks Karen for your reply. Dr. Pavlick is the one suggesting the combo of Zel and Yervoy. We are going to speak with her again to voice some of our concerns.

Mickey n Jo
                Participant

NYKaren
                Participant
                  Hi Jo,
                  Sorry to hear of Mickey’s difficulties. I agree w/your concern about yervoy; even when my ipi colitis was mild they wouldn’t hear of continuing it. What does Dr. Pavlick say? You might want to go to the Yervoy website & check for contra-indications.
                  I heard that the BRAF/MEK combo can be hard on the body, but it seems like everything is. First I heard early 2013 for approval, now hearing maybe–I wonder what everyone else has heard.

Karen

I hope

NYKaren
                  Participant
                    Hi Jo,

Karen

I hope

POW
                    Participant

Oh, dear! What a difficult decision for anyone to make! I am so sorry about this quandry you are in.

I, too, would be very reluctant to take Yervoy when you have a history of a bowel perforation and are too debilitated for surgery. But before I say more, can you tell us how Mickey's bowel became perforated? Was he having colitis? Colon cancer? What caused it?

POW
                      Participant

Oh, dear! What a difficult decision for anyone to make! I am so sorry about this quandry you are in.

I, too, would be very reluctant to take Yervoy when you have a history of a bowel perforation and are too debilitated for surgery. But before I say more, can you tell us how Mickey's bowel became perforated? Was he having colitis? Colon cancer? What caused it?

POW
                        Participant

awillett1991
                          Participant
                            So sorry he is having so much trouble. I did have real problems when I had to restart Zel (3×3) right after my second Ipi dose. I got all four doses in, then landed in the hospital hardly able to move or even breathe from excruciating all over muscle pain. Dr said my liver just couldnt handle it all.

That was 3 weeks ago. Good news, steroids have sorted me out, liver is almost normal, and I was outside taking down light up reindeer with my kids yesterday. Still on Zel & prednisone. To further complicate matters, I also had SRS on 2 mets after Ipi #1 to hopefully kick Ipi up a notch. Don’t know if that was part of my problem or not.

Also, I only had 3 days off Zel before Ipi. I’ve heard since that more like 2 wks is ideal. I was backed into a corner and had to restart because of tumor growth in my heart. I’m still hopeful it all works 😉

I never could take the full dose of Zel either but maybe 2×2 could help. I’ve learned MD Anderson & MSK have more experience with the combo.

I had no colitis, just diarrhea a couple of days. My Dr says BRAF/MEK has more side effects than just Zel. Can’t imagine! Ugh!

Are they willing to combine Ipi w radiation?

Amy

awillett1991
                            Participant
                              So sorry he is having so much trouble. I did have real problems when I had to restart Zel (3×3) right after my second Ipi dose. I got all four doses in, then landed in the hospital hardly able to move or even breathe from excruciating all over muscle pain. Dr said my liver just couldnt handle it all.

That was 3 weeks ago. Good news, steroids have sorted me out, liver is almost normal, and I was outside taking down light up reindeer with my kids yesterday. Still on Zel & prednisone. To further complicate matters, I also had SRS on 2 mets after Ipi #1 to hopefully kick Ipi up a notch. Don’t know if that was part of my problem or not.

Also, I only had 3 days off Zel before Ipi. I’ve heard since that more like 2 wks is ideal. I was backed into a corner and had to restart because of tumor growth in my heart. I’m still hopeful it all works 😉

I never could take the full dose of Zel either but maybe 2×2 could help. I’ve learned MD Anderson & MSK have more experience with the combo.

I had no colitis, just diarrhea a couple of days. My Dr says BRAF/MEK has more side effects than just Zel. Can’t imagine! Ugh!

Amy

awillett1991
                              Participant

Amy

sFELDMAN
                                Participant
                                  I am a Johns Hopkins patient and what I hear is that the BRAF/MEK should be approved by the 2nd quarter 2013. I AM ON the BRAF/MEK combination and don’t worry about the side effects. They are quite minimal and tolerable and the drug quite frankly is nothing short of a miracle. In the meantime while you are awaiting FDA approval do anything and everything possible such as nutrition which plays a big part. NO high fructose corn syrup, white flour or sugar or preservatives. Use lots of turmeric, garlic, mushrooms in your food. Lots of kale and fresh vegetables and fruits. Stay positive and close to G-D. If you have any questions about the BRAF/MEK. Please ask me. Look on the bulletin board there are several entries about the BRAF/MEK in the past week or so.
                                  sFELDMAN
                                  Participant
                                    I am a Johns Hopkins patient and what I hear is that the BRAF/MEK should be approved by the 2nd quarter 2013. I AM ON the BRAF/MEK combination and don’t worry about the side effects. They are quite minimal and tolerable and the drug quite frankly is nothing short of a miracle. In the meantime while you are awaiting FDA approval do anything and everything possible such as nutrition which plays a big part. NO high fructose corn syrup, white flour or sugar or preservatives. Use lots of turmeric, garlic, mushrooms in your food. Lots of kale and fresh vegetables and fruits. Stay positive and close to G-D. If you have any questions about the BRAF/MEK. Please ask me. Look on the bulletin board there are several entries about the BRAF/MEK in the past week or so.
                                    sFELDMAN
                                    Participant
                                      JC
                                      Participant

what scientific evidence exists that shows sugar causes cancer or makes it worse, etc. . .   Isn't sugar like everything else (alcohol, meat, etc…). . everything in moderation?  

If you avoid sugar…then avoid carbs ( vegetables) as they convert to sugar…just eat a well balanced diet. 

JC
                                        Participant

what scientific evidence exists that shows sugar causes cancer or makes it worse, etc. . .   Isn't sugar like everything else (alcohol, meat, etc…). . everything in moderation?  

If you avoid sugar…then avoid carbs ( vegetables) as they convert to sugar…just eat a well balanced diet. 

JC
                                          Participant

JerryfromFauq
                                            Participant

Has there been any discussion about the possibility of startiing the Yervoy at a lower than full strength dosage and increasing slowly while closely monitoring the intestines?

JerryfromFauq
                                              Participant

Has there been any discussion about the possibility of startiing the Yervoy at a lower than full strength dosage and increasing slowly while closely monitoring the intestines?

JerryfromFauq
                                                Participant

Mickey n Jo
                                                    Participant

Thank you all for your valued info.  We have no idea how his bowel became perforated, it just happened.  One Dr. even suggested that maybe the Zel caused it, although I've never come across anything about that.  I don't think the Drs. have considered radiation since Mickeys' mets are so widely dispersed.  So far though none in liver, brain, or lungs, but some near kidneys, in spleen, abdomen, muscles, and many sub qs. The idea of starting Yervoy at a low dose with close monitering sounds promising. Will bring this up to his Drs. at our next visit.  It's all just so frustrating, because right now, at 3 pills of Zel twice a day, he really is feeling pretty well. The thought of introducing something new that could cause serious side effects is so disconcerting.  I guess there is no benefit without risk though, so we'll have to make a decision soon. Will keep you posted.     

Thanks again

Jo (Mickeys' wife)

Mickey n Jo
                                                      Participant

Thank you all for your valued info.  We have no idea how his bowel became perforated, it just happened.  One Dr. even suggested that maybe the Zel caused it, although I've never come across anything about that.  I don't think the Drs. have considered radiation since Mickeys' mets are so widely dispersed.  So far though none in liver, brain, or lungs, but some near kidneys, in spleen, abdomen, muscles, and many sub qs. The idea of starting Yervoy at a low dose with close monitering sounds promising. Will bring this up to his Drs. at our next visit.  It's all just so frustrating, because right now, at 3 pills of Zel twice a day, he really is feeling pretty well. The thought of introducing something new that could cause serious side effects is so disconcerting.  I guess there is no benefit without risk though, so we'll have to make a decision soon. Will keep you posted.     

Thanks again

Jo (Mickeys' wife)

awillett1991
                                                        Participant
                                                          He’s probably a much better candidate than I was, I really struggle on Zel even at (3×3), and have been on prednisone almost the entire time. Don’t let Ipi stories scare you. It wasn’t that bad alone – fatigue, exacerbated some thyroid problems i already had. Remember that most of us come here because we are already “problem children”. If you are at a center experienced with Yervoy they know what to do to manage things quickly just be sure to speak up and not “sit on it” if you feel something is wrong.

Good luck!
                                                          Amy

awillett1991
                                                          Participant
                                                            He’s probably a much better candidate than I was, I really struggle on Zel even at (3×3), and have been on prednisone almost the entire time. Don’t let Ipi stories scare you. It wasn’t that bad alone – fatigue, exacerbated some thyroid problems i already had. Remember that most of us come here because we are already “problem children”. If you are at a center experienced with Yervoy they know what to do to manage things quickly just be sure to speak up and not “sit on it” if you feel something is wrong.

Good luck!
                                                            Amy

awillett1991
                                                            Participant

Good luck!
                                                              Amy

JerryfromFauq
                                                              Participant

NEVER true to barave out any symtoms experienced.  BRing them to the Doctors IMMEDIATELY.  Immeadiate response and followup is the best way to alleviate bad symtoms.

JerryfromFauq
                                                                Participant

Tiime to go to bed.  I cannot see nor type much more!

NEVER try to brave out any symtoms experienced.  Bring them to the Doctors/staff IMMEDIATELY.  Immediate response and followup is the best way to alleviate bad symtoms.

NYKaren
                                                                  Participant
                                                                    Jo, I just want to add that side effects are very different for everyone. My first time on Yervoy, the side effects were there but all manageable. Worst was a horrible rash. When I did reinduction approximately a year later I had NO rash at all, but the colitis just about did me in. My 4th dose never happened, and 2 doses of Remicade literally saved me. I had lost a lot of weight and developed adrenal insufficiency–could not walk up more than 2 steps.
                                                                    Jerry is exactly right! (No surprise there!)
                                                                    Sending you hugs,
                                                                    Karen
                                                                    NYKaren
                                                                    Participant
                                                                      Jo, I just want to add that side effects are very different for everyone. My first time on Yervoy, the side effects were there but all manageable. Worst was a horrible rash. When I did reinduction approximately a year later I had NO rash at all, but the colitis just about did me in. My 4th dose never happened, and 2 doses of Remicade literally saved me. I had lost a lot of weight and developed adrenal insufficiency–could not walk up more than 2 steps.
                                                                      Sending you hugs,
                                                                      Karen
                                                                      NYKaren
                                                                      Participant
                                                                        Sending you hugs,
                                                                        Karen
                                                                        JerryfromFauq
                                                                        Participant

NEVER try to brave out any symtoms experienced.  Bring them to the Doctors/staff IMMEDIATELY.  Immediate response and followup is the best way to alleviate bad symtoms.

JerryfromFauq
                                                                          Participant

JerryfromFauq
                                                                            Participant

NEVER true to barave out any symtoms experienced.  BRing them to the Doctors IMMEDIATELY.  Immeadiate response and followup is the best way to alleviate bad symtoms.

JerryfromFauq
                                                                              Participant

lou2
                                                                                Participant

I don't know if this applies to your situation with the bowel perforation, but here is an excerpt from an article on cancer treatment effects:

"Cells in the bone marrow, digestive tract, and hair follicles are often affected, directly causing a range of well recognized clinical effects such as myelosuppression (both innate and adaptive immunosuppression, detected as neutropenia and lymphopenia respectively), susceptibility to infection, gastritis and diarrhea, mucositis, perforation, and alopecia."

from this article:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3379856/

lou2
                                                                                  Participant

I don't know if this applies to your situation with the bowel perforation, but here is an excerpt from an article on cancer treatment effects:

"Cells in the bone marrow, digestive tract, and hair follicles are often affected, directly causing a range of well recognized clinical effects such as myelosuppression (both innate and adaptive immunosuppression, detected as neutropenia and lymphopenia respectively), susceptibility to infection, gastritis and diarrhea, mucositis, perforation, and alopecia."

from this article:

lou2
                                                                                    Participant

from this article:

Mickey n Jo
                                                                                      Participant

Thanks again

Jo (Mickeys' wife)

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics