The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

SNB was clear but now pleural effusion

Forums General Melanoma Community SNB was clear but now pleural effusion

Participant

Had surgery in July now and biopsy was good. Now I've developed fluid around my lung my leg continues to swell. I'm not sure if this is related to melanoma but X-ray showed normal heart and lungs. No lung disorders. Waiting on results of CT Scan just wondering if anyone else had a similar experience. 

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        debwray
        Participant

Hi,

Bit difficult to comment on this level of info.

Assume surgery was removal of primary ?

Leg swelling … Was surgery on your leg ?  Did you have sentinel lymph node biopsy in the groin on the swollen leg ?  Is the leg swelling lymphoedema ?

OK.. So you have fluid on a lung.. Is an infection likely ?

May not be helpful to speculate too much if your results are only days away , but easier said than done. 

With a history of melanoma .you are right to get it checked out but remember that if initial diagnosis was of a primary melanoma then if you were to have progression the most likely sites would be either in transit tumours near the site of the original lesion, or enlarged  lymph nodes in the nearest drainage baisin ie groin for leg. Axilla fort arm etc.

Take care and hope your scan result is all OK

Deb

debwray
          Participant

Hi,

Leg swelling … Was surgery on your leg ?  Did you have sentinel lymph node biopsy in the groin on the swollen leg ?  Is the leg swelling lymphoedema ?

May not be helpful to speculate too much if your results are only days away , but easier said than done. 

With a history of melanoma .you are right to get it checked out but remember that if initial diagnosis was of a primary melanoma then if you were to have progression the most likely sites would be either in transit tumours near the site of the original lesion, or enlarged  lymph nodes in the nearest drainage baisin ie groin for leg. Axilla fort arm etc.

Deb

debwray
            Participant

Hi,

Deb

RaquelP
              Participant

I once did research a long time ago on melanoma and Plueral effusions, which if I remember correctly, it is very rare for melanoma to cause a PE.

RaquelP
                Participant

I once did research a long time ago on melanoma and Plueral effusions, which if I remember correctly, it is very rare for melanoma to cause a PE.

RaquelP
                  Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics