The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

SNB and WLE update

Forums General Melanoma Community SNB and WLE update

Participant

I had my SNB and WLE on Friday August 5th. Things went well according to my husband. I don't remember much.

They took out 4 lymph nodes in my axilla. 3 had the radio active dye in them one and tattoo ink. (i have 5 tattoos) I can grantee that I will be getting no more tattoos!

They say I should have my results by Wednesday the 10th. Cross your fingers!

For now I'm in an Oxycodone daze and sleeping quite a bit.

Thanks for all you support guys! I really appreciate it.

I had my SNB and WLE on Friday August 5th. Things went well according to my husband. I don't remember much.

They took out 4 lymph nodes in my axilla. 3 had the radio active dye in them one and tattoo ink. (i have 5 tattoos) I can grantee that I will be getting no more tattoos!

They say I should have my results by Wednesday the 10th. Cross your fingers!

For now I'm in an Oxycodone daze and sleeping quite a bit.

Thanks for all you support guys! I really appreciate it.

~Kim

Viewing 7 reply threads
    • Replies
        MichaelFL
        Participant

Glad it went well. I remember you have some pre-op concerns.

I must say your lymph nodes were doing their job if they caught the ink.

I must also say I have been here almost three years and this is the first time that has been mentioned.

Let the board know when you get the results.

Hoping for the all clear!

Michael

P.S. And yes, do not get any more tat's, they may make it more difficult to watch your moles.

lhaley
            Participant

Michael,

About 5 years ago there was a man who was on the board for a short while, his name was Dale.  Dale was covered with tatoo's. When they went to take out his nodes they had a difficult time telling what was mel and what was the ink!  There was lots of discussion at the time about tatoo's.  Unfortunately Dale's melanoma progressed very quickly.  He sure did add a lot of character to this board during his short time here. We were diagnosed at the same time with advanced stage and we e-mailed quite a bit.

Kim,

Glad to hear your doing well!  Saw the pictures of your scars on FB. They will heal quickly and given a few months will hardly be noticable.  Great to know that you didn't have any complications during surgery like you were afraid of.  Just remember to take it easy and have someone help with the kids!!

Linda

MichaelFL
              Participant

Interesting. I am surprised the ink goes that deep, but after reading, I did also find that the ink will migrate to lymph nodes and may even trigger an immune response in some cases.

I did find some interesting reading as well:

Tattoo pigment in an axillary lymph node simulating metastatic malignant melanoma

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1325237/

I remember someone discussing getting a tat some time ago, and most here advised against it since it my cover future moles.

I will mention this in future posts when the subject comes up.

Thanks,

Michael

MichaelFL
                Participant

Interesting. I am surprised the ink goes that deep, but after reading, I did also find that the ink will migrate to lymph nodes and may even trigger an immune response in some cases.

I did find some interesting reading as well:

Tattoo pigment in an axillary lymph node simulating metastatic malignant melanoma

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1325237/

I remember someone discussing getting a tat some time ago, and most here advised against it since it my cover future moles.

I will mention this in future posts when the subject comes up.

Thanks,

Michael

lhaley
                  Participant

Michael,

About 5 years ago there was a man who was on the board for a short while, his name was Dale.  Dale was covered with tatoo's. When they went to take out his nodes they had a difficult time telling what was mel and what was the ink!  There was lots of discussion at the time about tatoo's.  Unfortunately Dale's melanoma progressed very quickly.  He sure did add a lot of character to this board during his short time here. We were diagnosed at the same time with advanced stage and we e-mailed quite a bit.

Kim,

Glad to hear your doing well!  Saw the pictures of your scars on FB. They will heal quickly and given a few months will hardly be noticable.  Great to know that you didn't have any complications during surgery like you were afraid of.  Just remember to take it easy and have someone help with the kids!!

Linda

MichaelFL
                  Participant

Glad it went well. I remember you have some pre-op concerns.

I must say your lymph nodes were doing their job if they caught the ink.

I must also say I have been here almost three years and this is the first time that has been mentioned.

Let the board know when you get the results.

Hoping for the all clear!

Michael

P.S. And yes, do not get any more tat's, they may make it more difficult to watch your moles.

nicoli
                    Participant

Enjoy the drugs. Rest as much as possible. And think about YOU. This is the time to be selfish. Listen to your body and do what IT wants.

Your'e one tough chick!

Nicki, Stage 3b

nicoli
                      Participant

Enjoy the drugs. Rest as much as possible. And think about YOU. This is the time to be selfish. Listen to your body and do what IT wants.

Your'e one tough chick!

Nicki, Stage 3b

AZ_Gal
                        Participant

for anybody interested in seeing the incisions here are some photos from the day.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.172871602782983.37336.100001804345017

AZ_Gal
                          Participant

for anybody interested in seeing the incisions here are some photos from the day.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.172871602782983.37336.100001804345017

AZ_Gal
                            Participant
                              I know my doc said that some numbness around the excision and snb are normal but is it normal to have numbness in my entire shoulder? My wle was in the middle of my back between my shoulder blades and my snb was in my left auxilla (armpit). Help?!
                                mombase
                                Participant

When I had my SNB (both armpits) in 2008, my whole upper back was numb for almost a year. This last brain tumor I had removed (almost 2 months), the majority of my scalp is numb. I get phantom itches that drive me nuts!

Than being said, AZ gal, I would not take any chances and would have it checked out~

Cristy, Stage IV

mombase
                                  Participant

When I had my SNB (both armpits) in 2008, my whole upper back was numb for almost a year. This last brain tumor I had removed (almost 2 months), the majority of my scalp is numb. I get phantom itches that drive me nuts!

Than being said, AZ gal, I would not take any chances and would have it checked out~

Cristy, Stage IV

killmel
                                    Participant

Hi,

I have had 3 surgeries on my leg (all intransit -recurrences). Every surgery, more of my leg gets numb. The numbness has never gone away.

Face it, you might be living with that numbness for the rest of your life.

I am sorry to tell you that but I wish someone had told me.

mary

killmel
                                      Participant

Hi,

I have had 3 surgeries on my leg (all intransit -recurrences). Every surgery, more of my leg gets numb. The numbness has never gone away.

Face it, you might be living with that numbness for the rest of your life.

I am sorry to tell you that but I wish someone had told me.

mary

AZ_Gal
                                      Participant
                                        I know my doc said that some numbness around the excision and snb are normal but is it normal to have numbness in my entire shoulder? My wle was in the middle of my back between my shoulder blades and my snb was in my left auxilla (armpit). Help?!
                                    Viewing 7 reply threads
                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics