The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Slow mohs & healing

Forums General Melanoma Community Slow mohs & healing

Participant
      A little history. Diagnosed with 3 primary melanomas in May/June on my upper right arm. Had WLE and sentinel node biopsy. Node biopsy was clear so staged at 1B. My margins were not clear. I have a couple of patches of freckles on my arm that the doctors were afraid were all melanoma. They did 6 punch biopsies around the area that all came back “unremarkable” . I saw a Mohs surgeon on Tuesday who removed all the skin on the incisions and a half inch surrounding it in order to map the area to find out where the remaining melanoma (all in situ) is located. The wounds are approx 1″ by 8″ and 1″ by 6″. They didn’t close the wounds because it is assumed there will be more work to be completed to remove any remaining melanoma. The tissue they removed was sent to pathology and I am awaiting the results (expected about a week from the surgery date) and the plan of action. I know my situation is unique in this particular area since the staff was confused as to how to handle the two sites at once. It hurts like the dickens and isn’t easing up any. Obviously, I have it covered but any movement just sets me back. I can”t really do much with an arm I can’t move without pain Has anyone else had this experience using a slow mohs procedure over an extended time? Does the discomfort ease? Thanks in advance for any wisdom!
    Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        MelanomaMike
        Participant
          Hi Karen, i can only imagine the pain & discomfort you feel from all this, i myself never had this procedure, all my 6 surgerys where straight forward, leaving me with clean margins and ugly scaring (left leg, the stage 3b days) I hope you have decent pain meds? I pray they move quickly in a timely manor & get you done & began the healing process!!!…
            kareylou
            Participant
              Thanks for your reply! You have been through so much. My discomfort is so minimal compared to what I’ve read you have endured. They just said to alternate ibuprofen and tylenol. It keeps the pain to nothing when I am not using my arm, but not so much when moving. Praying for you as well (and have been since I have read about your saga!!).
              MelanomaMike
              Participant
                We are Family!!
          Viewing 0 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics