The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

SLNB report

Forums General Melanoma Community SLNB report

Participant

so I got my report back on my SLNB and just need someone to explain it to me. 

Sentinel lymph node #1, left axilla, biopsy: One lymph node positive for

metastatic melanoma (1/1)

Sentinel Lymph Node Biopsy 

Body site: Left Axilla

SLN: #1

Count:17300

Blue:yes

Diagnoisis: yes

H and E: : positive 

S-100: positive 

Melan-A: positive 

Location of metastatic tumor: Subcapsular

Extracapsular extension: Absent

Benign nodal nevus: Absent

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        geriakt
        Participant

Dear Melissa,

My Dr was kind enough to provide my biopsy report to me while I was in his office so we could talk face to face about it.

My Sentinel Lymph node was positive as well. What you need to know is the melanoma cancers cells have traveled from the tumor into your body. The fine print is not important.  Hopefully it stopped with only the one lymph node.  The lymph nodes are like a sieve to collect bad cells, dead cell and viruses and remove them from your body.

The next step your Oncologist Surgeon will encourage you to  have a full dissection of lymph nodes under your left arm pit.  This would be the standard process, but before your Dr will perform the surgery he should set up a full body PET or CT scan to determine if there may be any evidence of tumors any where else.

I know this is a very scary time for you.  I have had the same and currently at stage IIIB.  The scans are easy, the surgery under the arm is much easier to deal with then having nodes removes from your neck or pelvic area. Unfortunately they will have to install a drain under your arm pit and it will need to remain in for 2-4 weeks (Mine was out in 2 weeks if you get a lot of rest and do not try to use your arm a lot).  The surgery was not painful, but is uncomfortable.  You will need to have lots of rest and I would not expect you will want to work for a minimum of one week to two weeks. I am not sure but as a woman you may want to just wear a spandex top or sports bra for a while so not to rub up on the incision. I used a large ace stretch bandage over my scar as it was tender for a while.  Using cocoa butter on the scar every day will help it heal fast and not look ugly.  You would be amazed to see my scars. They look very good. My Surgeon glued me back together so both of my scars are so hard to see. 

After your surgery you will have a pathology on all the lymph nodes removed. More than likely they will all come back negative and you will have your final stage of IIIA or IIIB.  The next step will be treatment of some type or do nothing but watch. I opted not to go on chemo or interferon. I entered into a Clinical Trial to be provided with immune therapy.

By the way my advice is wash your hands a lot and if you live with others they need to stay clean and wash their hands a lot.  Spray Lysol on all door nobs (let it dry and do not wipe it off). Clean your drain tube with rubbing alcohol every day when draining it.  You can not get your incision wet so you can wrap it with plastic wrap and try to shower ( I used a detachable shower head so I could wet my lower body and wash my hair. Do not spray your chest area). Maybe you have a nice person to help you shower or bath you, but you can not get your drain hole wet (you do not need an infection).  When you dry your body pad dry near your drain tube and scar. Use a new clean towel or paper towel every time. Never use a towel that you dried your butt with. I know that is yucky but these are the facts to stay healthy.

I hope this helps. You can Email me or I can call you to let you know what to expect.  Please be strong and have surgery as fast as possible.  The sooner you have it the better your spirits will be so you are not worrying.

Tom

geriakt
          Participant

Dear Melissa,

My Dr was kind enough to provide my biopsy report to me while I was in his office so we could talk face to face about it.

My Sentinel Lymph node was positive as well. What you need to know is the melanoma cancers cells have traveled from the tumor into your body. The fine print is not important.  Hopefully it stopped with only the one lymph node.  The lymph nodes are like a sieve to collect bad cells, dead cell and viruses and remove them from your body.

The next step your Oncologist Surgeon will encourage you to  have a full dissection of lymph nodes under your left arm pit.  This would be the standard process, but before your Dr will perform the surgery he should set up a full body PET or CT scan to determine if there may be any evidence of tumors any where else.

I know this is a very scary time for you.  I have had the same and currently at stage IIIB.  The scans are easy, the surgery under the arm is much easier to deal with then having nodes removes from your neck or pelvic area. Unfortunately they will have to install a drain under your arm pit and it will need to remain in for 2-4 weeks (Mine was out in 2 weeks if you get a lot of rest and do not try to use your arm a lot).  The surgery was not painful, but is uncomfortable.  You will need to have lots of rest and I would not expect you will want to work for a minimum of one week to two weeks. I am not sure but as a woman you may want to just wear a spandex top or sports bra for a while so not to rub up on the incision. I used a large ace stretch bandage over my scar as it was tender for a while.  Using cocoa butter on the scar every day will help it heal fast and not look ugly.  You would be amazed to see my scars. They look very good. My Surgeon glued me back together so both of my scars are so hard to see. 

After your surgery you will have a pathology on all the lymph nodes removed. More than likely they will all come back negative and you will have your final stage of IIIA or IIIB.  The next step will be treatment of some type or do nothing but watch. I opted not to go on chemo or interferon. I entered into a Clinical Trial to be provided with immune therapy.

By the way my advice is wash your hands a lot and if you live with others they need to stay clean and wash their hands a lot.  Spray Lysol on all door nobs (let it dry and do not wipe it off). Clean your drain tube with rubbing alcohol every day when draining it.  You can not get your incision wet so you can wrap it with plastic wrap and try to shower ( I used a detachable shower head so I could wet my lower body and wash my hair. Do not spray your chest area). Maybe you have a nice person to help you shower or bath you, but you can not get your drain hole wet (you do not need an infection).  When you dry your body pad dry near your drain tube and scar. Use a new clean towel or paper towel every time. Never use a towel that you dried your butt with. I know that is yucky but these are the facts to stay healthy.

I hope this helps. You can Email me or I can call you to let you know what to expect.  Please be strong and have surgery as fast as possible.  The sooner you have it the better your spirits will be so you are not worrying.

Tom

Millykamp
              Participant

I do go back to the Dr tomorrow to talk about the report. My surgery for CLN is being done in 2 weeks..  

What at does the H and E mean??

Millykamp
                Participant

I do go back to the Dr tomorrow to talk about the report. My surgery for CLN is being done in 2 weeks..  

Millykamp
                  Participant

liberty04281
                    Participant
                      It means, one node is pisitive for melanoma, it means you are stage IIIA or IIIB. For other things I am not sure.
                      Good Luck!
                      liberty04281
                      Participant
                        It means, one node is pisitive for melanoma, it means you are stage IIIA or IIIB. For other things I am not sure.
                        Good Luck!
                        liberty04281
                        Participant
                          Good Luck!
                          mjanssentx
                          Participant

Tom – good summary of the pr.ocess to expect.  I had my drain tube in for a full 8 weeks…and did I hate that thing by about week 3-4.  But I also understood that taking it out too soon wasn't going to help the recovery process if that fluid wasn't draining somewhere.

The only other add would be to understand the staging as 3A versus 3B.  You definitiely want 3A…but that also significantly limits your treatment options.  

All the best

Michel

mjanssentx
                            Participant

Tom – good summary of the pr.ocess to expect.  I had my drain tube in for a full 8 weeks…and did I hate that thing by about week 3-4.  But I also understood that taking it out too soon wasn't going to help the recovery process if that fluid wasn't draining somewhere.

The only other add would be to understand the staging as 3A versus 3B.  You definitiely want 3A…but that also significantly limits your treatment options.  

All the best

Michel

mjanssentx
                              Participant

All the best

Michel

geriakt
                                Participant

Oh I hated the drain. I was told to relax and not do any yard work and no exercise of any type.  I prayed to get the thing out in two weeks and my drainage was down to the recommended min so I had it pulled out.  To be truthful having the drain is not painful but more of an inconvenience.  I like to be social so I did go out when mine was in and one evening the tube came out of the ball and leaked all over me. What a mess.

I would never state anything that was not true of my process and for sure we each need to make up our own minds and place our faith in God first and out doctor second. 

geriakt
                                  Participant

Oh I hated the drain. I was told to relax and not do any yard work and no exercise of any type.  I prayed to get the thing out in two weeks and my drainage was down to the recommended min so I had it pulled out.  To be truthful having the drain is not painful but more of an inconvenience.  I like to be social so I did go out when mine was in and one evening the tube came out of the ball and leaked all over me. What a mess.

I would never state anything that was not true of my process and for sure we each need to make up our own minds and place our faith in God first and out doctor second. 

geriakt
                                    Participant

Millykamp
                                      Participant

Oh no….eww sorry to hear about the mess.   I am more worry about when it comes out.. I hate the unknowing part….. 

geriakt
                                        Participant

Melissa,

It really does not hurt when it is pulled out. All you need is a deep breath.  

Tom

Millykamp
                                          Participant

Great to know   how does sleeping with them goes??   Was it uncomfortable?  I am thinking of buying some extra pillow to stop me from rolling on top of it 

geriakt
                                            Participant

I was careful not to roll around a lot.  I do not think you can pull it out as it is stitched in. 

geriakt
                                              Participant

I was careful not to roll around a lot.  I do not think you can pull it out as it is stitched in. 

geriakt
                                                Participant

Millykamp
                                                  Participant

Great to know   how does sleeping with them goes??   Was it uncomfortable?  I am thinking of buying some extra pillow to stop me from rolling on top of it 

Millykamp
                                                    Participant

geriakt
                                                      Participant

Melissa,

Tom

geriakt
                                                        Participant

Melissa,

Tom

Millykamp
                                                          Participant

Oh no….eww sorry to hear about the mess.   I am more worry about when it comes out.. I hate the unknowing part….. 

Millykamp
                                                            Participant

geriakt
                                                            Participant

Dear Melissa,

Tom

BrianP
                                                              Participant

Melissa,

I'm sure you probably realize it's not the news you were looking for.  I'm sorry about that.  I'm not an expert on these reports by any means.  It looks like they biopsied one node and it was positive for melanoma.  Not sure what many of the other "positives" are describing.  I know having extracapsular extension absent is a good thing.  

What I suspect will happen next is you will get a full body scan and possibly a brain MRI as well.  If that comes back all clear and we'll pray that it does the Dr's will probably recommend a complete lymph node dissection of your left armpit.  I've had one of those myself.  There have been some research whether that is really the best thing to do but I'd say at least 9 out of 10 doctors would still recommend that course of action.  If they find no other evidence of disease your staging will probably be IIIa based on what they know now.

Hang in there.  Hopefully others can shed some light on the full meaning of the report.  I know your head is probably spinning right now.  Just remember there are some great treatment options for you now where even just a couple years ago there wasn't much hope. 

Brian

BrianP
                                                                Participant

Melissa,

I'm sure you probably realize it's not the news you were looking for.  I'm sorry about that.  I'm not an expert on these reports by any means.  It looks like they biopsied one node and it was positive for melanoma.  Not sure what many of the other "positives" are describing.  I know having extracapsular extension absent is a good thing.  

What I suspect will happen next is you will get a full body scan and possibly a brain MRI as well.  If that comes back all clear and we'll pray that it does the Dr's will probably recommend a complete lymph node dissection of your left armpit.  I've had one of those myself.  There have been some research whether that is really the best thing to do but I'd say at least 9 out of 10 doctors would still recommend that course of action.  If they find no other evidence of disease your staging will probably be IIIa based on what they know now.

Hang in there.  Hopefully others can shed some light on the full meaning of the report.  I know your head is probably spinning right now.  Just remember there are some great treatment options for you now where even just a couple years ago there wasn't much hope. 

Brian

jpg
                                                                    Participant

If the node only had micro mets as mine did, no CLND should be done.  It is overkill.  Research has proved it more than once in large numbers that is isn't the thing to do anymore.  and hopefully you know not to do interferon too.

jpg
                                                                      Participant

If the node only had micro mets as mine did, no CLND should be done.  It is overkill.  Research has proved it more than once in large numbers that is isn't the thing to do anymore.  and hopefully you know not to do interferon too.

jpg
                                                                        Participant

BrianP
                                                                        Participant

Melissa,

Brian

Millykamp
                                                                          Participant

I know that the results mean the cancer had spread.  So does that mean that all positive SLN is mestatic melanoma? 

Millykamp
                                                                            Participant

I know that the results mean the cancer had spread.  So does that mean that all positive SLN is mestatic melanoma? 

Millykamp
                                                                              Participant

jpg
                                                                                  Participant

No, it means that the node did its job and caught the one met and you have a great outlook!  You do not need all of the nodes removed but need to be watched closely. Some have no positive nodes and have it in the blood stream.  So the SLNB isn't the be all end all.

jpg
                                                                                    Participant

No, it means that the node did its job and caught the one met and you have a great outlook!  You do not need all of the nodes removed but need to be watched closely. Some have no positive nodes and have it in the blood stream.  So the SLNB isn't the be all end all.

jpg
                                                                                      Participant

BrianP
                                                                                        Participant

Melissa,

I have to respectfully disagree with jpg.  Metastatic cancer is cancer that has spread from the place where it first started to another place in the body.  Essentially that is what has happened to you.  The primary was your mole and now the cancer has spread to another location.  If nothing else is found you will be staged at IIIa. 

Whether or not you n​eed the Complete lyphm node disection (CLND) will be your choice.  I can almost guarantee you that will be the recommendation of your doctors.  Right now there is no way of knowing whether there are other lymph nodes in your armpit that contain melanoma.  They probably would not have been able to pick up your positive Sentinel node even if they had scanned that prior to the biopsy.  The only way they know for sure is to remove most of them and do the pathology work.

I will say that I remember seeing a study that raised the question about the benefits of CLND on longterm survival.  If I remember correctly there was going to be a study to compare CLND patients with patients who instead have regular ultra sounds for early detection.  You may want to ask your doctors about that. 

Best of Luck.

Brian

BrianP
                                                                                          Participant

Melissa,

I have to respectfully disagree with jpg.  Metastatic cancer is cancer that has spread from the place where it first started to another place in the body.  Essentially that is what has happened to you.  The primary was your mole and now the cancer has spread to another location.  If nothing else is found you will be staged at IIIa. 

Whether or not you n​eed the Complete lyphm node disection (CLND) will be your choice.  I can almost guarantee you that will be the recommendation of your doctors.  Right now there is no way of knowing whether there are other lymph nodes in your armpit that contain melanoma.  They probably would not have been able to pick up your positive Sentinel node even if they had scanned that prior to the biopsy.  The only way they know for sure is to remove most of them and do the pathology work.

I will say that I remember seeing a study that raised the question about the benefits of CLND on longterm survival.  If I remember correctly there was going to be a study to compare CLND patients with patients who instead have regular ultra sounds for early detection.  You may want to ask your doctors about that. 

Best of Luck.

Brian

BrianP
                                                                                            Participant

Melissa,

Best of Luck.

Brian

ed williams
                                                                                              Participant

h

ed williams
                                                                                                Participant

h

ed williams
                                                                                                  Participant

Sorry, having problem with log in, there was a study from Germany Brian that was discussed at ASCO 2015 talking about the benefit of CLND or to watch and use ultra sound.

ed williams
                                                                                                    Participant

Sorry, having problem with log in, there was a study from Germany Brian that was discussed at ASCO 2015 talking about the benefit of CLND or to watch and use ultra sound.

ed williams
                                                                                                      Participant

ed williams
                                                                                                        Participant

h

Millykamp
                                                                                                        Participant

Thank you everyone.  I had meet with the doctor and I will be getting my CLN done in 2 weeks..  Pretty much what they said is they want to wait and see what is the results is on the surgery and plans treatment from there, but from what I understand is if no more cancer cell show up in my CLND  then I am cancer free and won't need treatment, is this true??  I am kinda worry that there is a chance it could show up later down the road.  Sorry I am still learning. 

Millykamp
                                                                                                          Participant

Thank you everyone.  I had meet with the doctor and I will be getting my CLN done in 2 weeks..  Pretty much what they said is they want to wait and see what is the results is on the surgery and plans treatment from there, but from what I understand is if no more cancer cell show up in my CLND  then I am cancer free and won't need treatment, is this true??  I am kinda worry that there is a chance it could show up later down the road.  Sorry I am still learning. 

Millykamp
                                                                                                            Participant

BrianP
                                                                                                                Participant

Melissa, 

Have your doctors mentioned scans? If it were me I'd want to do the scans before the CLND.  If there is melanoma elsewhere you might want to go right to a systemic treatment and forego the CLND. 

Brian

BrianP
                                                                                                                  Participant

Melissa, 

Have your doctors mentioned scans? If it were me I'd want to do the scans before the CLND.  If there is melanoma elsewhere you might want to go right to a systemic treatment and forego the CLND. 

Brian

BrianP
                                                                                                                    Participant

Melissa, 

Brian

Millykamp
                                                                                                                      Participant

He order the Cat scan 

Millykamp
                                                                                                                        Participant

He order the Cat scan 

Beehappy
                                                                                                                          Participant

My husband just completed the CLND under his right arm (age 43).  He had his drain for 3 weeks.  He said sleeping was uncomfortable – so he used extra pillows to prop his arm and side.  He had 1 node positive for micro mets on his SLNB and decided to have the CLND surgery – we are glad he did because 1 additional node came back positive for mm that did not show up on his PET or CT scan.  He just met with his physical therapist who specializes in lymphodema.  Ask your surgeon for a referral to a PT after your drain is removed – they are an amazing resource to get exercises and a compression sleeve to lessen effects of any swelling that can occur after a CLND!  Another suggestion is to limit salt in your diet after surgery and to try to take short walks as soon as you are able – both of these can help your system get rid of the fluid (and get your drain out as soon as possible).  

The only treatment option offered to my husband at the time of his IIIc diagnoses was Interferon or wait and watch.  We weren't thrilled with either of those options. We strongly emphasized to the oncologist that we were interested in any trials that he would qualify for.  My suggestion would be to ask your oncologist if they are open to exploring any trial/study treatments that would be available.  My husband's oncologist was instrumental in getting him into a trial study.  He is now receiving treatment that is only approved for stage IV.  

Hoping for many years of NED status for everyone fighting this disease.

~Rebecca

Millykamp
                                                                                                                            Participant

Wow thank you for your information.   And prayers to you and your husband

Millykamp
                                                                                                                              Participant

Millykamp
                                                                                                                                Participant

Beehappy
                                                                                                                                  Participant

My husband just completed the CLND under his right arm (age 43).  He had his drain for 3 weeks.  He said sleeping was uncomfortable – so he used extra pillows to prop his arm and side.  He had 1 node positive for micro mets on his SLNB and decided to have the CLND surgery – we are glad he did because 1 additional node came back positive for mm that did not show up on his PET or CT scan.  He just met with his physical therapist who specializes in lymphodema.  Ask your surgeon for a referral to a PT after your drain is removed – they are an amazing resource to get exercises and a compression sleeve to lessen effects of any swelling that can occur after a CLND!  Another suggestion is to limit salt in your diet after surgery and to try to take short walks as soon as you are able – both of these can help your system get rid of the fluid (and get your drain out as soon as possible).  

The only treatment option offered to my husband at the time of his IIIc diagnoses was Interferon or wait and watch.  We weren't thrilled with either of those options. We strongly emphasized to the oncologist that we were interested in any trials that he would qualify for.  My suggestion would be to ask your oncologist if they are open to exploring any trial/study treatments that would be available.  My husband's oncologist was instrumental in getting him into a trial study.  He is now receiving treatment that is only approved for stage IV.  

~Rebecca

Beehappy
                                                                                                                                    Participant

~Rebecca

Millykamp
                                                                                                                                      Participant

He order the Cat scan 

geriakt
                                                                                                                                        Participant

Brian is correct that you want to get a full body CT scan or PET scan before the CLND.  If tumors are found anywhere else possibly they will not perform CLND and get you on immune therapy right away. Also it should be said (and told to you from your DR), if you decline the CLND you will not be provided any future treatment other than wait and see and possibly some scans.  Your insurance may even decline some future treatment. So be sure to ask these questions to your DR and hopefully he is a melanoma specialist. 

Even for me I am on a Clinical Trial at a stage IIIB and I was told if I did not have my CLND I would not be accepted in any Clinical Trial because I had an operative cancer and did not follow though the recommended treatment. 

Tom

geriakt
                                                                                                                                          Participant

Brian is correct that you want to get a full body CT scan or PET scan before the CLND.  If tumors are found anywhere else possibly they will not perform CLND and get you on immune therapy right away. Also it should be said (and told to you from your DR), if you decline the CLND you will not be provided any future treatment other than wait and see and possibly some scans.  Your insurance may even decline some future treatment. So be sure to ask these questions to your DR and hopefully he is a melanoma specialist. 

Even for me I am on a Clinical Trial at a stage IIIB and I was told if I did not have my CLND I would not be accepted in any Clinical Trial because I had an operative cancer and did not follow though the recommended treatment. 

Tom

geriakt
                                                                                                                                            Participant

Tom

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                                                                                                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics